Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2009, 01:23 AM   #51
Epi_862
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
It could just be me, but I'm having a hard time merging the idea of a nationally-televised feeder league with a league that can't pull in fans who require NFL-caliber pro football. My perception is that the major complaint is always the level of talent. People don't watch because they have a "better" option on Sundays.

Isn't it a recipe for disaster if you broadly televise a pro sports league that few people want to see? That's what killed the AFL (arena football, I mean), and it would've killed the XFL and the CFL's US expansion if those ventures hadn't closed up on their own first. Without having the official backing of the NFL, this seems overly ambitious at best and grossly misguided at worst. I'm not arguing against the presence of the league, but it's more about how quickly they're trying to spread a product that doesn't have a great history. For the record, however, I hope I'm completely wrong about all of this.

I freely admit that my concerns may have been sparked by the lousy uniforms and logos.

I always took it as the UFL purposely going low key for the inaugral season, to show the NFL "Look, we can really run this". And they are banking on NFL jumping in next year. Which i think will happen, bar a total disaster this season.

And i really dont see the argument for the level of play, since college football enjoys a huge a mount of fans. Sure - its a different dynamic, but most undrafted/training-camp-cut college favorites would be in the UFL, and surely draw interest.

And since UFL is aiming to be a feeder, of course the level of play will be lower - but with the talent out there, it would still be pretty damn good.

Im also biased towards expecting the best, since i just want more football.

Epi_862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:55 AM   #52
Nugget699
H.S. Freshman Team

Promotion/Relegation between the NFL and UFL? Yes please.
Nugget699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #53
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget699 View Post
Promotion/Relegation between the NFL and UFL? Yes please.

Bye Bye Detroit and Cincy... See you in a few years when you earn your way back...

It will never happen but oh would it be sweet...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #54
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I'm actually really looking forward to the season opener.

Thursday October 8th - California Redwoods (this name rocks!) @ Las Vegas Locomotives (this one too!) 6 PM Pacific time at Sam Boyd Stadium . It's on the Versus network if any of you still get that. I get it here in Hawaii so that makes me happy!
Old 10-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #55
cuervo72
Head Coach

Heh, yeah that would have been a use for Vs after all (sorry NHL). I'll check out the games on HDNet though. They appear to be on Saturdays at 10PM Eastern, so if the college games aren't interesting I might as well.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:39 AM   #56
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

The picture of Jim Fassel at the top of the UFL site ( United Football League (UFL) - Where Future Stars Come to Play! ) scares me. I think he might want to touch me in a bad way.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:32 AM   #57
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi_862 View Post
I always took it as the UFL purposely going low key for the inaugral season, to show the NFL "Look, we can really run this". And they are banking on NFL jumping in next year. Which i think will happen, bar a total disaster this season.

Why would you expect this to happen? The NFL has hundreds of free minor league teams as it is. Do they really care if Mike McMahon just needed 10 years of play before he becomes a viable backup QB?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #58
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The CBA never merged with the NBA, the best they got was to have a bunch of teams join the NBA's minor league.

The NFL doesn't need it.
Young Drachma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #59
sooner333
College Starter

NBA and NFL are so different, though. NBA has way more guaranteed contracts. NFL bottom-of-the roster guys are a dime a dozen given their low salary and the ease of getting rid of them if they are healthy. But, those guys are very important because the rosters are small and special teams. If they have a league that can they can get guys from who are in playing shape, that could be potentially huge.

The NBA doesn't work because the salaries for 11th and 12th men are often guaranteed salary cap trade bait and don't play much anyway so the veteran presence can be useful despite their diminishing skills. Plus, there aren't nearly as many injuries as in the NFL.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:00 AM   #60
Epi_862
Mascot

And in football, how many Tony Romo's or Tom Brady's are now going "want fries with that" just 'cos they never had a shot? I guarantee you will find a couple future NFL starters from the UFL. The vetting/scouting process is just not long enough, and the cutting process is brutal. An there are a lot of guys who play much better than they practise. A lot of really talented kids deserve a shot, and the UFL looks like that'll be it.

And again, i really dont see any negatives with UFL. More football.
Epi_862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:06 AM   #61
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I wonder if Yahoo or someone else will get on board with a fantasy league. That might help get the league going.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #62
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
I wonder if Yahoo or someone else will get on board with a fantasy league. That might help get the league going.

It's a four team league...the fantasy league size would have to be two.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #63
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Maybe I'm late to the party, but I just found this....

"Intentional grounding - A quarterback is allowed to intentionally ground the ball anywhere behind the line of scrimmage if he is under pressure."

That is going to make for some BORING games, lemme tell you.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #64
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
It's a four team league...the fantasy league size would have to be two.

Yeah, forgot about that. After the 1st round, you would be out of starters.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #65
Passacaglia
Coordinator

You could probably do a league of 4 with 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, and one or two bench. It wouldn't be the most fun fantasy league on earth or anything, but they could probably pay one of those sites to do one for a nominal fee and some people might enjoy it.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #66
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Oh, and of course, a K and DEF.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #67
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
You could probably do a league of 4 with 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, and one or two bench. It wouldn't be the most fun fantasy league on earth or anything, but they could probably pay one of those sites to do one for a nominal fee and some people might enjoy it.

I'd play
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #68
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post

yeah, i posted one here about a month ago but nobody wanted to join
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote