Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Buying a used dishwasher...

I have never owned a dishwasher & finally made the decision to get one. Heading tomorrow to look at a used portable Maytag.

What should I look for to make sure it's good? I already asked the guy if I can run it & he said that's no problem.

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I had a portable dishwasher in a rental unit once. The things I'd look for include the quality of the seals. Are they old/cracked, or do they seem relatively supple? Also, the solidity of the hookup to the water source (probably the kitchen faucet). You want something that's going to give you confidence that it's not going to blow off halfway through the load.

Other than that the usual dishwasher stuff, such as how it fits stuff inside and if the layout will work for you.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
boberot
High School Varsity

That's good advice.

Since you say you've never owned one, I'll give you one other piece of advice.

I also bought a used portable dishwasher many years ago, and it sill runs great today. This may seem like a no-brainer, but to extend the life of your unit dramatically: clean the food off of your plates / bowls before putting them in there.

I'm constantly amazed at what I see go into other people's machines. From both a longevity and sanitary point of view, we rinse everything off pretty well before it goes in the dishwasher.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

That's good advice (the rinsing dishes off stuff). Portable dishwashers don't have the kind of machinery "regular" dishwashers have now to grind up and successfully expel leftover food.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Make sure the dishwasher doesn't whine, have the potential to leak, take up too much of your space and that you really want it and aren't just going with the flow.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I had a portable dishwasher in a rental unit once. The things I'd look for include the quality of the seals. Are they old/cracked, or do they seem relatively supple? Also, the solidity of the hookup to the water source (probably the kitchen faucet). You want something that's going to give you confidence that it's not going to blow off halfway through the load.

Other than that the usual dishwasher stuff, such as how it fits stuff inside and if the layout will work for you.

Are we still talking about a dishwasher, or something else entirely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd just buy a new one. Unless this is really cheap that the guy is offering.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ble+dishwasher

Friends and family sale coming up Oct 3 at Sears, should be the usual 20% off Kenmore retail plus 10% extra. That dishwasher above would be roughly 450 plus tax and delivery if you get it that night.

Portable dishwashers have gone up a ton in price lately. I see some smaller countertop type made by Haier, but have no idea how good they are.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

The one I'm going to look at is $150. Figure another $40 or so for the cab ride home. Also, I don't know of any Sears around (I'm in NYC.)

Haier is a company I would stay away from. Far away. I'm on my second Haier washing machine (they make the smallest portable washer.) The 1st was ok & lasted about 3 years before dying. Their customer service is the worst... My new one (bought in feb) was having trouble spinning, so I opened up the bottom & found the belt is turning to dust. Since there is a 1 year parts & labor warranty I called them on it. After about 1/2 hour combined on hold & talking about it I was told that belts are not considered parts & I would have to buy the belt.

Thanks for the info & laughs.. "blow off halfway through the load" I think I've had that problem!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
Swaggs
Coordinator

Stupid question (I've heard of and seen portable machines, but never given much thought to this), but the post about manually attaching the water source made me wonder: How does a portable washing machine drain?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Stupid question (I've heard of and seen portable machines, but never given much thought to this), but the post about manually attaching the water source made me wonder: How does a portable washing machine drain?

Through a hose. It's supposed to use a hook to attach to the sink, which I found inadequate. I took some fishing line & sinkers to hold the drain hose in the shower.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It has a pump that pushes the water outward into the sink.

Just a guess but that's how a dehumidifier(sp) works.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #12
boberot
High School Varsity

Same mechanism that brings water from the faucet through one hose expels it back into the sink with a second hose.

http://images.buzzillions.com/images...63610_full.jpg
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Are we still talking about a dishwasher, or something else entirely?

I'm a married man. So, we're talking about a dishwasher.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I'm a married man. So, we're talking about a dishwasher.

Touche...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #15
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I have never owned a dishwasher & finally made the decision to get one. Heading tomorrow to look at a used portable Maytag.

What should I look for to make sure it's good? I already asked the guy if I can run it & he said that's no problem.

Wow I'm surprised I haven't seen this answer yet...

Just get a wife!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #16
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

So I said to hell with a used one after looking at one that was nasty, then writing a guy about another who "guaranteed" that it worked, but said it would be impossible to hook up and run.

I ordered one from Sears, since the price wasn't bad during their Columbus Day sale. The dishwasher was out of stock at Sears, with a date of its being back in stock 3 weeks later. I ordered it delivered today.

Sears called me each of the last three days to inform me that it would be delivered Sunday, ensure that I would be here, then to inform me of my delivery window. This morning, less than an hour before the delivery window was set to open I received another call from Sears, informing me that the dishwasher was not in stock and that they would call me within 24 hours to reschedule delivery.

I ain't happy at all.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #17
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Classic Sears.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What a bunch of Cunts we are.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #19
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
What a bunch of Cunts we are.

I will give Sears credit for actually employing Americans in their customer service.

However after two months I canceled the order & am back on the hunt for a used model. It'll actually be easier.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, there was this, which was recently posted in the "Thread for Images So Cool They Belong In This Thread" thread:

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote