Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #101
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The new file is up! Playoffs run tomorrow night

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:46 AM   #102
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

I love how Muns shows up for a day and is already back in the playoffs!

Congrats to Chief, cgould, and muns!
TeachEnEspanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #103
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Dang it I HATE losing out like that to the AI.

And yowsa...look at Munsy's Baltimore squad. Looks like he's back to running things there.

Not muns. He still hasn't exported since early December.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:19 AM   #104
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

Congratulations to the playoff teams.

Nice to see St. Pete steal 3/4 of a rotation from Boston and still suck.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #105
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal_GM View Post
Congratulations to the playoff teams.

Nice to see St. Pete steal 3/4 of a rotation from Boston and still suck.

Between this kind of continuing BS and the "I'm Awesome Hall of Lets Celebrate Me", I am pretty much done with FOOL.

Thanks for the ride Alan.
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #106
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:
Not muns. He still hasn't exported since early December.

That makes me feel a little better...

Oh wait, no, that means we were all bested by the freaking computer.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #107
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGuru View Post
Between this kind of continuing BS and the "I'm Awesome Hall of Lets Celebrate Me", I am pretty much done with FOOL.

This makes me sad Tim!
Old 02-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #108
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

Oh christ. Stay Tim. I'll go.

Sorry if being honest about someone running their team like a jackass bothers some of you. It pisses me off that he signs those contracts and none of them are voided. I thought we had a rule against things like that. When did that change?

It would be different if he was a league newbie (well I guess he is considering all the times he's left his teams abandoned only to return a few weeks later), but he's not. Didn't he help write the rules to begin with?
Old 02-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #109
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The only rule we have regarding contracts right now is the one stating no Minor league contracts during the first FA stage. The rules that you are referring to we did have for quite a while, but those were removed long ago and replaced with the "gentleman's agreement" that people refer to that we don't have a rule for it but if no one pushes the limits then we won't need to bring back those rules.

Since in some people's minds the "gentleman's agreement" hasn't been followed lately, that is why I brought up possible rules to add to see if it could resolve this issue. Those rule proposals were not met with any great enthusiasm so it didn't sound to me that people actually wanted the rules back in.

Either way though, one thing I do know is that I don't like this discussion coming up every offseason. I know some people think it is a problem and others don't, but my feeling is if there is a problem, lets just work to resolve the issue and not just air dirty laundry every week as it just leads to more frustration for all involved.

I didn't even offer up my financial rule change to a vote because I barely had more than 2 people show any interest in them, so for now its still no financial rules, so no voiding of contracts.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #110
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGuru View Post

You're joking, right? Want me to change the name of it? Heck, I haven't even put anything in it yet. It's actualyl supposed to be a franchise celebration, but I have switched franchises, so it's to celebrate the players who played under me.

FTR, I thought it was kinda shitty for Kevin to say that, too (I was also surprised DC's team didn't do better). DC didn't deserve that.

But you coming in like this, and then dropping a pointless swipe at me, when I haven't done anything, as you waltz on out--AGAIN--like the turd you generally have been? Good riddance.

If you have a problem, sack up dude and come at me. Don't do this crap. I have no respect for you right now whatsoever.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #111
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh christ. Stay Tim. I'll go.

Sorry if being honest about someone running their team like a jackass bothers some of you. It pisses me off that he signs those contracts and none of them are voided. I thought we had a rule against things like that. When did that change?

It would be different if he was a league newbie (well I guess he is considering all the times he's left his teams abandoned only to return a few weeks later), but he's not. Didn't he help write the rules to begin with?

No, don't go, Kevin. Tim has pulled this shit before. Let him leave. He gets all in a huff and he never has the sack to say anything, he just explodes and goes. He's not worth losing you. Let him leave, and we'll find someone who doesn't act like a baby when he gets mad.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #112
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and I am a dead serious. I am sick of him. He's JimmyOOTP to me right now. I'm done with Tim. He's not going to come back. But if he does, I'm gone. I am not going to be in a league with him ever.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #113
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

I admit my comment was shitty but that's how I feel. In the future I'll try to keep my negativity to the state of my franchises, not yours.

I'll stick around here, but I'm done with FOOLH. I want nothing to do with that league if he can't admit his practices are beyond what we consider fair.

As for Chief's thread, I really don't see anything wrong with it. Alan did send out an email asking people to pitch in with the 100 year celebration. It's not like it would be pictures of Chief sitting over his keyboard as he adjusts strategy and slots players into his lineups, it's for the best of the best from his franchises. What else should he call it?
Old 02-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #114
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

First, I apologize to the FOOL community for any past greviances you may have with me, my past leadership of the league, my present existance, the flip-flopping in and out of the modern iteration of the league. and perhaps for stealing your kids' candy during Halloween and being the monster under their bed that scares them when you're just trying to get sleep. Ok, ok...I just couldn't help it.

The times I've come back here, is when I thought folks were mature enough to play a game and either be men enough to air their grievances directly or learn to use the handy ignore button as I have. I came here to run Boston for that one year, when FOOL-H started, because I thought folks were past it. I win a title in that first season back, no one had anything nice to say and I felt like it'd be better if I left. So I did.

When I came back for expansion, I thought again, things would work out okay. And for a few seconds, they sorta were. I win again after a few years of expansion and no one has anything nice to say. I felt unwelcome, so I left.

Most recently, it was solely out of loyalty to Alan and recognizing the fact the league was having trouble keeping a solid base of owners, recognize that Alan had expanded for me and Tim and if my team didn't have a regular owner that even half of me would be better than an absentee. I win that first year, making cosemtic changes and running the team the AI had run and no one has a word to say (well, they did..but only because they thought it was the non-existent guy running the team...) and they don't until several years after they seem to think I've "cheated."

As I've said numerous times already, I didn't attempt to do anything at this time or any other time that was intended to violate the trust of this league. One of the reasons I left after 2010 wasn't just that my life wasn't compatible with running this thing anymore, (and that it was about as fun as being shot by a nail gun...repeatedly) but also because I felt it was important for the members of the league to decide what it would be.

It'd outgrown something I'd simply concepted in my head and evolved into something other people were way more passionate about. So you all cultivated what you wanted, built a league with rules that suited you and have hummed along by and large since. I respect it, have been proud to step aside and have absolutely no regrets about that choice...I could've handled it differently (and should have, if nothing else for the continuity of the universe in some manner) but in the end, things are good under the stewardship and selfless leadership of Alan and the great owners who've made once made this a fun place to be.

This league has already suffered one meltdown and some close calls. The recurring vigilantes who've appointed themselves Lords of FOOL's honour should come to realize quickly that their noxious behavior will smother this league once and for all. I recognize that you will be heard -- that's apparent -- but your overeager zeal for an audience is going to eventually clear the theater.

The belabored points about respectability and gentleman's agreement were and have been well taken by me. I don't know how many times I have to say this. I didn't intentionally do anything wrong. I don't pay attention to all of the sniping, because after a while it starts to sound like Top 40 radio. I was just interested in a few players and I didn't want someone else to get them. I thought by actually taking over my team, rather than leaving it on autopilot, it'd be better for the league. That was my only intent.

I believe I said this a number of times within the previous thread, but if those were missed by the bloviators, then I will again for the last time say that I apologize for this and any other greviances related to this league -- past or present -- that folks may have. My intentions here have always, 100 percent been good as it relates to this league. I've never wanted anything other than for this to a place that folks would want to be part of and enjoy.

I didn't want to say anything. The ignore list feature is a powerful tool and I'd just generally prefer to not deal with all of this sniping; because you figure out quickly when people die in real life, that life is short and that no one really cares how much of an internet message board badass you were when the lights go out for good. But the folks who think their able to just throw their weight around in conversations unchecked can't be allowed to do this anymore. It's happened for too long and it's why things have devolved this way so often. So I had to say something for all of the years now that I've effectively said nothing.

I have about as much joy playing here as cows do just prior to slaughter, but...I'm not leaving because that'd make it too easy for those who have consistently shown a desire and an ability to scare off people simply by thinking their opinions matter more than anyone else's.

I wrote this post in an aim to move forward, not to hear more rancor from the folks who've stirred up the dust in the first place. We've heard enough from you and your points have been heard from here to Lackawanna. If my leaving this league completely is echoed by more than just the two folks in the peanut gallery; then that'd be easy for me to make happen. Just say the words, folks.

I just don't think it'll solve anything, because I think the whiners would find someone else and other things to complain about. At least, that's the track record we've seen. I only volunteered to run FOOL-H as a feeble attempt to perhaps rebuild some goodwill around here, but it seems that was all for naught, despite my best attempts (and flubs along the way, of course...Super Target stopped selling Perfect (tm) though and I've been in tatters ever since.)

P.S. Also, to the paragons of fake baseball virtue, that trade wasn't intended to put my team over the top. It was a deal borne 1) out of the fact that I just like to make trades and 2) part of a larger plan to move my team away from rebuilding into contention. Oh and this other thing that you might have heard of once...it's called fun.

You should try it sometime.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-09-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #115
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

We talked about contracts. You participated in the discussion. You chose to do exactly what we talked about the sim immediately following the discussions. Doesn't that seem odd to you?

You say you've apologized but I haven't seen it. All you've done is smugly defend your actions with comments about how you've done nothing wrong and your past accolades speak for themselves and some other nonsense. If you don't believe me go read your comments in this thread.

As for my whining, what are you talking about? The only thing I whine about is when people are skirting the rules (and it's only been in the past 2 weeks). You act like a couple of us sit here and bitch and moan all the time.

When I first brought the contract issues up you conveniently forget that I did so without mentioning specifics to ensure no one was offended. How is that trying to run someone out of here? I merely wanted to shed light on the fact that we are all supposed to operate our teams in good faith.

And I got news for you, we're not the only two that think your actions are a disgrace. Some people just don't want to say anything, which is fine, but it's just not me to let something like that slide without saying something.

Last edited by Montreal_GM : 02-09-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Montreal_GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #116
hyde4us11
Coordinator

You know guys some of us just like to play and stay out of the bad things that get said. I am all for people speaking up if there is a problem but I think people getting personal is over the line. People don't realize some of us need this game (and league) to be able to survive and deal with life. For those that don't know I am wheelchair bound with severe pain and haven't had a no pain day even with drugs (legal and prescribed) in years. I come here to smile, laugh, and cry (my teams were bad for a long time and some still are lol) and forget about the hurt. Even if its 10 minutes reading threads it helps. Its a game and I like to win like the rest of you but if someone doesn't follow the rules it will get dealt with. Alan is first class and if he thought something broke the rules he would handle it. Do you think he does all this to let someone break the rules and ruin it for everyone? I think not myself. I never say anything bad about anyone and will continue to abide by the simple rule my grandma taught me, if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. I will say that I am 100% comfortable putting rules and who breaks them in the hands of Alan. I hand out incentives to most players because they are in just about every contract signed in MLB. If I go overboard with one feel free to send me a PM and I will try to not let it happen again. I won't stop giving them either unless Alan says no more of them.

MY ENGLISH GRAMMAR SUCKS SO TEACH (AND ONLY TEACH) CAN HOLLER AT ME IF SHE WANTS

Last edited by hyde4us11 : 02-09-2010 at 02:39 PM.
hyde4us11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #117
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
We talked about contracts. You participated in the discussion. You chose to do exactly what we talked about the sim immediately following the discussions. Doesn't that seem odd to you?

You say you've apologized but I haven't seen it. All you've done is smugly defend your actions with comments about how you've done nothing wrong and your past accolades speak for themselves and some other nonsense. If you don't believe me go read your comments in this thread.

As for my whining, what are you talking about? The only thing I whine about is when people are skirting the rules (and it's only been in the past 2 weeks). You act like a couple of us sit here and bitch and moan all the time.

When I first brought the contract issues up you conveniently forget that I did so without mentioning specifics to ensure no one was offended. How is that trying to run someone out of here? I merely wanted to shed light on the fact that we are all supposed to operate our teams in good faith.

And I got news for you, we're not the only two that think your actions are a disgrace. Some people just don't want to say anything, which is fine, but it's just not me to let something like that slide without saying something.

Your point has been made sir. I am sorry, 100000 times over.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #118
hyde4us11
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I am sorry

Good enough for me. Time to move on ?
Old 02-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #119
muns
Pro Starter

You know ive been sitting here on my snow day off trying to think of something helpful to say and honestly nothing is really coming.

I do want to say that I think hyde's post above puts (or at least should put) some things in perspective.

This is the first spat I havent been involved with, flamed, started, finished, been embarased of exc.........but in each of those times, and mind you I about walked away once, i kept coming back to how much I not only liked the people involved but what the league had become.

Now with people thinking about leaving, getting pissed whatever, I do want to highlight how cool this league really is, and what is has evolved into. Its not just some fake ass league that we all log into once a day, but it honestly has become part of a pattern that fits into our daily lives. That might sound gay to a few here, but in my mind and for my time, no other league has ever come close to that.

I mean I still try to talk to 5 of you here personally when I can here and there, and that will pick back up for me after the season ends again.

We all do dumb shit, I mean im still embarassed that I just walked away from FOOL this year this year due to basketball again, and I never told Alan. Thats dumb shit. He does all this, and I didnt even have the common sense to PM him to let him know. Alan I apologize for being an ass by the way.

So how about we suck up some pride, lick our wounds, talk about exactly what if anything needs to get fixed, and move on and up.

I for one would like to come back (If Alan would have me) to a functioning FOOL, with as many FOOLS as we have now, but thats just me being selfish.

Im hoping this doesnt go into another "dark" period and Hyde doesnt have to go find a lesser league.

Talk to eveyone soon

MUNS
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #120
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde4us11 View Post
MY ENGLISH GRAMMAR SUCKS SO TEACH (AND ONLY TEACH) CAN HOLLER AT ME IF SHE WANTS

No yelling here. I got nothing but nice things to say about you!

This comment isn't really appropriate to the new thread that Alan posted because it really is FOOL specific. I agree with everything that Hyde and Muns said above. I trust Alan to handle any problems that come about (preferably privately though PM) and truthfully, between him, Muns, and Hyde, I am reminded of the prime examples of the reason I've been around for so long and the caliber of person who shows up in this league. You know I love you all (I don't think I've ever made a mistake in communicating that) but right now these guys take the cake and I can't help but appreciate their fantastic attitudes.

P.S. Muns, I'm glad you got a snow day! That answers my PM question.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:36 AM   #121
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

There's something about internet forums that brings out the worst in people. It seems that it turns everyone into a self-righteous asshole. People call others names, people declare "truths" and "lies" and say things they wouldn't dream of doing in real life. Few leagues I've been in are devoid of nasty business and drama and as well I've seen my share of actual cheating or pushing existing rules to the limit.

On rules and agreements, I have this to say. As I don't believe there are any gentlemen in baseball, let alone on the internet (see above), I don't think this means anything. Either it is an enforcable rule or it isn't. One of the problems is not people persay, it is (and forgive me if you think I speak blasphemy) that parts of OOTP are poorly designed. The sim engine is great, but I haven't seen a league that didn't have weird preoblems or quirks with AI or money or free agency, etc.

It is simultaneously too complicated and not detailed enough in its business. So certain things Alan will not have any control over running a league. That is why in most leagues I see a bazillion house rules and some with fines and stuff that go along. Now if there is not a rule for something that is an OOTP kluster****, you can bet your life that someone can and will exploit it until a rule is made. It's just how people are. And if it isn't a rule then you can't really say they are being bad or breaking rules or whatever.

I see people exploit things in leagues constantly and even moreso exploit people, making trades with newbies that are unbalanced, things like that.
So yes there does need to be policing in leagues, all leagues as well as strict rules to compensate for OOTP shortcomings. I am astounded to learn that many people offer incentives. Most other leagues have a rule about this, that you cannot offer any incentives on players that do not ask for them (and you can't go over them). Also that contracts are all balanced per year and no option years, etc. Now I see why.

So please stop turning this into personal attacks and also please stop exploiting loopholes and please make strict rules about the crappy bits of OOTP and let's just have fun. And as for the drama in the other league, there are 3 leagues and 3 of them bitching at each other. Seems like there is room for all of them to go to their respective corners and have fun.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 02-10-2010 at 02:42 AM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:45 AM   #122
hyde4us11
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachEnEspanol View Post
No yelling here. I got nothing but nice things to say about you!

This comment isn't really appropriate to the new thread that Alan posted because it really is FOOL specific. I agree with everything that Hyde and Muns said above. I trust Alan to handle any problems that come about (preferably privately though PM) and truthfully, between him, Muns, and Hyde, I am reminded of the prime examples of the reason I've been around for so long and the caliber of person who shows up in this league. You know I love you all (I don't think I've ever made a mistake in communicating that) but right now these guys take the cake and I can't help but appreciate their fantastic attitudes.

P.S. Muns, I'm glad you got a snow day! That answers my PM question.

Thanks for the kind words Teach.