Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #501
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
It's not like these guys have never been good before

SI

True. But Wells has also never been worth the money he's getting paid, even when he's been "good."

This is kind of like, wait a second - where did this come from? Dude's hitting like he's gonna launch 50 this year.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #502
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Be that as it may, I have a little more faith in Heyward's abilities than Prado (or Glaus or really anyone else on the Braves lineup with exception of McCann and Chipper).

Heh...I do, too; it just seemed odd to read what you said knowing how well Prado has started off the season.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #503
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
True. But Wells has also never been worth the money he's getting paid, even when he's been "good."

This is kind of like, wait a second - where did this come from? Dude's hitting like he's gonna launch 50 this year.

I'm sure he's not and it's just a hot streak, but still, it's looking like .280/.350/.500 with 25 HR is a perfectly reasonable expectation. Has he lived up to the contract? Heck no. But to think he's worthless as so many had given him up for is ludicrous.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #504
Travis
Pro Rookie

Wells have proven in the past that he can hit .280 to .300, hit 25 or so home runs and drive in 100+. I'm sure the team had hoped he'd elevate past that when they signed him to that contract, but as he's gotten healthier, he's sure looking more and more like that hitter again.

Thank goodness, because that black hole playing first for the Jays sure isn't doing anything to help the squad out (and hasn't in quite some time).
Old 04-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #505
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm sure he's not and it's just a hot streak, but still, it's looking like .280/.350/.500 with 25 HR is a perfectly reasonable expectation. Has he lived up to the contract? Heck no. But to think he's worthless as so many had given him up for is ludicrous.

SI

Sure. Agreed.

And perhaps he'll settle down into that, or even a little bit better than that, over the long run. But even among those who hadn't given him up for worthless, I don't think you'll find many folks who expected a start close to this one after his last three seasons were either sub-par or injury-shortened.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #506
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Great pitching duel in LA - Kershaw killing the Giants with power stuff, Zito doing it to the Dodgers with absolutely nothing. The Giants just took a 1-run lead on a hanging cutter, but this kid's stuff is filthy (irrespective of the AAA lineup that he is facing)/.

Man...as delighted as I am at the outcome, this game almost has to be a kick in the nuts for Giants fans, after the way Zito pitched.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #507
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ps - Braves fans. Doesn't Heyward move up the batting order already? I mean, Martin Prado is a nice guy and all, but he shouldn't be seeing more AB's than Heyward.

Actually he should, since someone needs to be on base for Heyward to drive in.

And their PA's this year are 54-52 for Prado, not as though the kid is missing any significant amount of AB's, nor has he shown the ability (yet) to avoid being a steady strikeout victim, especially against lefty's. And Prado actually has a higher BA, OBP, SLG, and OPS than even Heyward. Only a complete idiot would mess with the only two things in the Braves batting order that are working (well 2 of the 3, McCann is going well enough).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-18-2010 at 06:33 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #508
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
We just made the reds look like bitches!

At this rate, Dusty, Harang, Arroyo, Phillips, and Rolen will all be gone before July.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #509
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Putting Heyward at #2 in the lineup would be a disaster with our atrocious leadoff situation.

And I don't get the hate for Prado. Guy has been solid the last two years. He's a good fit for the #2 spot.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #510
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Actually he should, since someone needs to be on base for Heyward to drive in.

And their PA's this year are 54-52 for Prado, not as though the kid is missing any significant amount of AB's, nor has he shown the ability (yet) to avoid being a steady strikeout victim, especially against lefty's. And Prado actually has a higher BA, OBP, SLG, and OPS than even Heyward. Only a complete idiot would mess with the only two things in the Braves batting order that are working (well 2 of the 3, McCann is going well enough).

Bingo. It seems wierd to single out Prado when his numbers so far have been .426/.500/.596, which, as pointed out, are better than Heyward's. He's a player that has shown an ability to get on base (he has a career OBP of .369).
Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #511
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That 20 inning game was something. We had been out all day and finally got to watch some TV at 9:30. When I turned on Fox for the 10pm news, the game was still on! I bet that's not what Fox or the local affiliates had in mind for a game that started at 4:10.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #512
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

FYI, if you have MLB Audio or tv, it's Patriot's Day in Boston so they're already in the 3rd inning (6-0 Rays at the moment)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #513
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I keep waiting for the Red Sox to wake up and realize the season has started. I wasn't as high on them as some pundits were, but they're not this bad by a long stretch.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #514
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

They most definitely aren't, but I think this early season swoon shows some big holes, namely in terms of replacing Bay's bat (and Ortiz hasn't rebounded) and pitching (Lackey was not an answer).
Old 04-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #515
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
They most definitely aren't, but I think this early season swoon shows some big holes, namely in terms of replacing Bay's bat (and Ortiz hasn't rebounded) and pitching (Lackey was not an answer).

Not very hard to replace Bay's current .220 and 2 RBIs.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #516
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Man...as delighted as I am at the outcome, this game almost has to be a kick in the nuts for Giants fans, after the way Zito pitched.

Yeah, it was a rough way to go out but then again it is early in the season and Bochy made the right call. Romo just made a terrible pitch. The Giants still have to feel good about the way they played.

From the SJ Merc:

Quote:
In the bottom of the 12th inning Friday, with Eli Whiteside at the plate and Sandoval dancing off 3rd base with the possible winning run, it hit me.

Panda’s athletic cup.

In the head.

In 25 years of photographing baseball, that was the first, and please, last time that’s ever happened.

I had been shooting from the photo well next to the Giants dugout on the 3rd baseline when Sandoval was running the bags during the Giants’ comeback. He seemed uncomfortable though, and started fussing with his belt when he got to 3rd.

After I turned my attention back to home plate to shoot the batter, something hits me in the head.

Nearby fans gasped, and then groaned.

The Panda’s cup is sitting untouched behind me in full radioactive glory.

Mercifully, trainer Dave Groeschner comes over wearing Sandoval’s glove, and retrieves the offending blue projectile.

Glad I was wearing a hat.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #517
JS19
College Prospect

Mets promoted Ike Davis today, gonna get his first big league start. On another Mets note, they have already designated their opening day cleanup hitter, Jacobs, for assignment, as well as had a veteran of 14 years make his first ever start in the 4 hole, Frank Catalanotto. It's gonna be a long season.

Last edited by JS19 : 04-19-2010 at 06:06 PM.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #518
Logan
Head Coach

There was no reason for Davis not to be playing as soon as Daniel Murphy got hurt. He looked good in his debut, 2 for 4 with an RBI.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #519
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I'm very confused. Starting Pitchers are allowed to pitch more than 4 innings? (see: Washington Nationals -- another good start, this time by Craig Stammen)

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #520
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Will Carroll (yeah, yeah) has been blathering on twitter that there will be a PED suspension coming soon.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #521
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Will Carroll (yeah, yeah) has been blathering on twitter that there will be a PED suspension coming soon.

Quote:
Barring a reversal in the appeal process, a major league player will be suspended in the next 48 hours for using performance-enhancing drugs, according to multiple sources.

The player is well-known but not a major star and not a member of the Yankees, one source said. Craig Calcaterra of NBCSports.com reported that the player is a National League pitcher.

Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus was the first to report that a suspension was imminent.

And the legend of Micah Owens is explained.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #522
Ksyrup

I love that they explicitly state that it's not a Yankee. Not a star and not a Yankee = don't start jumping up and down laughing your asses off.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #523
Logan
Head Coach

Probably Pelfrey, he's all of a sudden not sucking.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #524
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I bet it's someone on/was on the Pirates. Like Matt Capps or Paul Maholm.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #525
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I love that they explicitly state that it's not a Yankee. Not a star and not a Yankee = don't start jumping up and down laughing your asses off.

That was my first thought.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #526
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

Please, no

Old 04-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #527
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Matt Capps has an awesome FASTBALL! so he's obviously a roider. And that would be hilarious since he's chistled up like a dough boy.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #528
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Zack Duke
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #529
Butter
Coordinator

Bronson Arroyo. Guy has gone on the record with his lax attitude toward enhancements.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #530
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Zack Duke

Nah, he was an All Star so he'd actually be notable. I think anyways.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #531
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

It has to be Jamie Moyer
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #532
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

It's Edinson Volquez!

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/statuses/12531828104

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 04-20-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #533
Logan
Head Coach

For any of the Met fans out there...somehow in hearing about the story of how Francouer conducted an interview to defend Jerry Manuel after an ESPN report came out saying that he, Santana, Reyes, etc all wanted him gone, I missed the full details of how it originated. Turns out it came from ESPN Radio's Seth Everett appearing on Baseball Tonight. Very weird for me, as Everett is a good family friend of mine (that's his middle name, not his real last name) and he was very tight with my brother growing up. Can't think it helps his career at all, considering the guys on the Mets claim he's never even been around any of the players and had no basis for this report.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #534
Logan
Head Coach

Countdown to Volquez' statement that he was trying to lose weight and took something that didn't have the key ingredient listed...
Old 04-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #535
Butter
Coordinator

Volquez was considered out until at least July anyway. We'll just chalk that up to out for the season. Embarrassing, yes. But it's not like the Reds were going to be contending for anything this year anyway considering that over-the-weekend sweep at Pittsburgh.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #536
Logan
Head Coach

I won't speak for anyone else, but personally, I think we're way past the point where players getting busted for these things should lead to a team feeling any embarrassment.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #537
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So if he's on the DL, does the suspension run concurrently? Or do they wait til he's healthy again, and then suspend him.

I mean, pitching for Dusty is almost punishment enough.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #538
Ksyrup

He was using something to help him recover from the injury.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #539
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Inexplicably it seems he can serve it while injured.

That whole Volquez-Hamilton trade sure seems like much ado about nothing now when it was a huge trade two years ago.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #540
SackAttack
Head Coach

What I was just reading is the suspension won't kick in until he's activated from the 60-day.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #541
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If they really want to punish him don't suspend him and make him be a starter for a Dusty Baker led team.

They should allow Bakers starters to take PED's just as a counter measure.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #542
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Cincinnati Reds right-hander Edinson Volquez suspended 50 games - ESPN

Quote:
Volquez is recovering from surgery on his right elbow and is expected back around midseason. Volquez can serve the suspension while on the disabled list, [MLB spokesman Pat]Courtney said, and will lose a little less than one-third of his $445,000 salary.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #543
stevew
Hall Of Famer

In a case like this, where a guy is on the DL long term, they should wait until he's just about to be reactivated. And be like "hold on there buddy."
Old 04-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #544
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

It's ridiculous he can serve it while he's not on an active roster. Not that the MLB steroid policy is great or anything, but that really rubs in that it's just a fucking joke.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #545
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
It's ridiculous he can serve it while he's not on an active roster. Not that the MLB steroid policy is great or anything, but that really rubs in that it's just a fucking joke.

I get the point, but if he was healthy and serving the suspension he wouldn't be on the active roster during the suspension. You don't have to keep a spot on the 25 man empty during a suspension.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #546
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I agree thats stupid he can serve it while on the DL. so If a guy is out for the season, why not try to take PEDs to recover faster? its not like you will miss any actual time.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #547
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I agree thats stupid he can serve it while on the DL. so If a guy is out for the season, why not try to take PEDs to recover faster? its not like you will miss any actual time.

Because, IIRC, players aren't paid by their clubs while suspended by the league, meaning that they would be forfeiting their salaries while doing so.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #548
Ksyrup

Yeah, the penalty for the player is the money. The team is taking the hit for him not being able to play.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #549
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I get the point, but if he was healthy and serving the suspension he wouldn't be on the active roster during the suspension. You don't have to keep a spot on the 25 man empty during a suspension.

but i'm saying he should have to be on the active roster at the beginning of the suspension. and shouldn't be allowed to be moved to the DL during it.

they could easily write a rule covering the spirit of what i'm saying...we don't need to get nitty-gritty about the details.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #550
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Because, IIRC, players aren't paid by their clubs while suspended by the league, meaning that they would be forfeiting their salaries while doing so.

ahh thats right, I'm dumb and forget these things sometimes. thanks for the reminder