Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-09-2003, 09:24 AM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Dickie Roberts Sued by Slip 'N Slide

Slip 'N Slide makers sue 'Dickie Roberts'
Monday, September 8, 2003 Posted: 11:57 PM EDT (0357 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The makers of the Slip 'N Slide filed a lawsuit Monday over a scene in the hit movie "Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star" that shows actor David Spade skidding to a painful halt on the summertime water toy.

Wham-O is asking a judge to order the film out of theaters as long as it contains the Slip 'N Slide scene, or for a disclaimer to be added urging viewers not to try the maneuver made by Spade.

In the movie, Spade jumps belly first on the yellow plastic sheet without first inflating it with air and water. He then coats the slide with oil and crashes into a fence.

The scene has been used heavily in television and theater ads to promote the film, which was No. 1 at the weekend box office.

The lawsuit, filed against Paramount Pictures and Happy Madison Productions, charges the filmmakers violated its trademark by using the product without permission.

Wham-O also claims the scene violates the product's safety guidelines, which limit the use of Slip 'N Slide to children between the ages of 5 and 12 weighing less than 110 pounds and under 5 feet tall.

Guidelines also state the slide must first be inflated and wet and that users should also be wet before diving on the plastic. The company is concerned that the scene might prompt adults to imitate Spade's action, which could lead to injury and lawsuits.

"Paramount believes the claims are entirely without legal merit," said studio spokesman Rob Friedman.

Representatives of Happy Madison did not immediately return calls Monday seeking comment.

The product was taken off store shelves in the 1990s after a series of adult accidents. Wham-O became a privately owned company in 1997 after being put on the market by its former owner, Mattel.

When the product was reintroduced in 1997, the new owners added an inflatable bumper and other safety features, Wham-O said.

Monday's lawsuit mentions one legal action brought by a Wisconsin adult who became paralyzed after diving onto the slide while intoxicated. The plaintiff in that case was awarded $12.3 million in damages, according to Monday's lawsuit.

Wham-O, based in Emeryville, California, also makes the Frisbee, Hula Hoop and Super Ball.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:53 AM   #2
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

"Guidelines also state the slide must first be inflated and wet and that users should also be wet before diving on the plastic"

Uh, isn't that the entire idea behind the scene, it's called comedy (though not sure how funny that movie will actually be). I guess the car maker of the car they used in Lethal Weapon (when they drove through the building) should sue too since the car saw not used in a safe manner and people might decide to try it.

"The company is concerned that the scene might prompt adults to imitate Spade's action, which could lead to injury and lawsuits"

Um, it's painfully obvious what the results are in the clip. If people are stupid enough to try it that's just Darwinism at it's purest form.

God (allah, budha, fill in the blank) help us all.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:58 AM   #3
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by EagleFan

Um, it's painfully obvious what the results are in the clip. If people are stupid enough to try it that's just Darwinism at it's purest form.

So is diving onto it while intoxicated - but that can win you $12 million.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:08 AM   #4
Ksyrup

Quote:
I guess the car maker of the car they used in Lethal Weapon (when they drove through the building) should sue too since the car saw not used in a safe manner and people might decide to try it.

I wonder if anyone will try to sue the makers of the Bond movies, claiming that our troops' driving of tanks in downtown Baghdad was influenced by Pierce Brosnan's jaunt through downtown Moscow (or wherever it was) in that Bond movie from a few years ago.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-09-2003 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:24 PM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

Re: Dickie Roberts Sued by Slip 'N Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Wham-O also claims the scene violates the product's safety guidelines, which limit the use of Slip 'N Slide to children weighing less than 110 pounds and under 5 feet tall.

I'm pretty sure that David Space fits those requirments...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:28 PM   #6
Logan
Head Coach

Does anyone else see the real problem here?

They called this movie a "hit."
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:30 PM   #7
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Logan
Does anyone else see the real problem here?

They called this movie a "hit."

Number one boxoffice in its first week. They generally call that a hit. Especially for this type of movie that has zero production costs.

Now, if they had called it good....
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 01:03 PM   #8
Ksyrup

It got a decent review on CNN.com. Even the reviewer was surprised.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:12 PM   #9
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

But it only grossed about as much money as my ass did in its opening weekend...
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 01:18 PM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by kingnebwsu

You feeling left out of the QOTM, king?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 01:40 PM   #11
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:

"He then coats the slide with oil and crashes into a fence. "

Of course, they're probably worried about this, too - sounds much more "neat" than the rest.

Kevin
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 02:21 PM   #12
j51
Mascot

Re: Dickie Roberts Sued by Slip 'N Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Monday's lawsuit mentions one legal action brought by a Wisconsin adult who became paralyzed after diving onto the slide while intoxicated. The plaintiff in that case was awarded $12.3 million in damages, according to Monday's lawsuit.

What.. the.. HELL? Being a stupid ass sure pays good money nowadays. Maybe I'll go get liquored up and drill a hole in my leg.. take Craftsman for all they're worth. That'll teach em for making something so harmful.
j51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:28 PM   #13
tucker342
Pro Starter

[qoute]Monday's lawsuit mentions one legal action brought by a Wisconsin adult who became paralyzed after diving onto the slide while intoxicated. The plaintiff in that case was awarded $12.3 million in damages, according to Monday's lawsuit.[/quote]

What.the.fuck!?!?!?!?!?!
It's amazing what kind of lawsuits people can win in this country....
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:32 PM   #14
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I want to sue very member of FOFC for taking my time posting and sucking me into their virtual world. I could have been knitting and selling pretty booties to expectant mothers instead!!!

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:44 AM   #15
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by kingnebwsu
Originally posted by QuikSand
You feeling left out of the QOTM, king?

He's never seen the words "gross", "opening", and "my ass" used in the same sentence before. He's obviously never read Marmel's diary.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 01:22 AM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Blood from a turnip, boys. Blood from a turnip...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote