Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Awesome new laser pointer for cats everywhere!

http://www.dailytech.com/WickedLaser...ticle18681.htm

Quote:
Warning: Extremely dangerous is an understatement to the power of 1W of laser power. It will blind permanently and instantly and set fire quickly to skin and other body parts, use with extreme caution and only when using the included eye protection. Customers will be required to completely read and agree to our Class IV Laser Hazard Acknowledgment Form.

Handheld and available at the click of the button for $200....buy yours before it's illegal!!

Seriously though, I had no idea this kind of thing was so freely available. Unreal, you can literally buy this thing just like you could a book.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

And probably wind up on a terrorist watch list just like you would if you bought, say, the Anarchist's Cookbook.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
And probably wind up on a terrorist watch list just like you would if you bought, say, the Anarchist's Cookbook.

Or An Inconvenient Truth

Wait- Dick Cheney isn't Vice President any more? Are you sure? Has anyone checked the riding-in-a-wheelchair-stroking-a-fluffy-white-cat aisle lately?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-13-2010 at 11:30 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

WTF? How is this even close to a good idea?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'm ok with it. I mean, you have to sign a form to purchase. People that sign forms don't take form signing lightly especially if they use black ink. Now those people that sign in blue ink.. I don't trust them.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Not really. The form is just a few check boxes on the checkout screen. I was reading simply looking at the dot on the wall without eye protection can cause permanent damage.

Goggles won't do anything for a direct hit.

Last edited by jeff061 : 06-14-2010 at 08:39 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Not really. The form is just a few check boxes on the checkout screen.

Whoa, just a online checkbox form that someone could not just gloss over and not read like some EULA?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 06-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
BYU 14
Coordinator

Love this quote

"With greater power comes the need for greater responsibility."

Glad they have those check boxes to insure this is practiced. I can't believe there is not already some kind of restrictions on what is available to the public. If this is legit (Part of me hopes it is a scam and the laser is not really 1 W) we won't make it out of 2010 before this makes the news tied to some type of catastrophe.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

As a side note, I prefer my lasers to be chemical lasers in solid, not gaseous, form. Put simply, it's like lasing a stick of dynamite. As soon as we apply a field, we couple to a state, it is radiatively coupled to the ground state. We can extract at least ten to the twenty-first photons per cubic centimeter which will give one kilojoule per cubic centimeter at 600 nanometers, or, one megajoule per liter...

Last edited by Mustang : 06-14-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
BYU 14
Coordinator

Just realized this company is based in Hong Kong, pretty much insures this product is in the hands of people that should definitely not own it.

Also conflicting information on whether or not this can be imported into the US.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
As a side note, I prefer my lasers to be chemical lasers in solid, not gaseous, form. Put simply, it's like lasing a stick of dynamite. As soon as we apply a field, we couple to a state, it is radiatively coupled to the ground state. We can extract at least ten to the twenty-first photons per cubic centimeter which will give one kilojoule per cubic centimeter at 600 nanometers, or, one megajoule per liter...

Moles and trolls, moles and trolls.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
DanGarion
Coordinator

My god, they better not ban this, I have a right to bear arms.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #13
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Love this quote

"With greater power comes the need for greater responsibility."

I think that fucking quote should be changed to.

"With greater power, comes greater stupidity."
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
TroyF
Coordinator

Can someone with knowledge of lasers tell me what would be the practical application of a laser this powerful? I'm just preparing my lawsuit when some asshat blinds me for life with one of these things.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
SackAttack
Head Coach

Training for the Death Star run, clearly.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote