Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
molson
General Manager

Al Qaeda explosives intercepted

The streak of Al Qaeda failures continues.

I'm always kind of surprised this stuff isn't bigger news. I mean, it's getting a lot of media this afternoon, but, I don't think people care that much.

Explosive found in Dubai, part of US terror probe - Boston.com

molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
Subby
lolzcat

What qualifies as bigger news? It was all over the teevee today.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
What qualifies as bigger news? It was all over the teevee today.

Not sure. Just an impression. I was just going to post it in the random thread. No discussion about it here, no buzz at work, none of those little links on the sports sites you get when there's a really big non-sports news story. (ESPN I think even linked ABC.com on the front page during the originial balloon boy story).

Last edited by molson : 10-29-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

our civ is war weary. it happens if your civ has been at war too long.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

y also have something to do with where you live. This is likely a bigger story in DC then Boise.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Really? I don't think Americans have even a remote concept of what war is.

This just isn't that big of a deal. Explosive packages were fedexed to a building. Al Queda's role is probably next to nothing. Glad they caught them, but a nuke heading to Boston harbor this is not.

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-29-2010 at 04:07 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
Galaxy
Coordinator

I'm not doubting it isn't Al Qaeda, but it hasn't been officially ruled Al Qaeda yet.

To be frank, I'm surprised they haven't tried this sooner. If the packages were shipped to a Jewish organization into Chicago, do they not screen the cargo before the flight? Is it at the point of entrance into the US? Or even when they go onto the trucks? Also, wouldn't they go off during any point of being transported (since it was being shipped right to its target, I'm guessing it was already assembled to go off)?

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-29-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

Fair enough. It just seems that there's this general opinion out there that America overstates the terror threat, but then these foiled attempts (of which there's been a handful recently) don't really resonate.

As for the Al Qaeda mention, I felt OK putting that in the title because it apparently came from official white house sources.

Last edited by molson : 10-29-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well these foiled attempts wouldn't even be reported on in the 90's.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

october suprise.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Al-Qaeda is sending mail bombs now? This is the same group that did extraordinary feats of mass destruction in New York and Madrid? They are now Fed-Exing bombs? I am not trying to trivialize this, but I expect more from them.

Failing at doing something that a guy in a cabin in Montana did successfully for 20 years is not a group that I feel I should be threatened by.

Don't get me wrong, I still think we should go after them and kill them, I am just really confused.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
y also have something to do with where you live. This is likely a bigger story in DC then Boise.

Wasn't discussed at all in my office either. I got a CNN alert on my phone, but it's also been a very busy day in the office.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #13
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Just like Bush to release this information right before the restore the sanity rally. Oh wait.....
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #14
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

For every one of these that we hear about there are many that never make the news. If this were two years ago there would be several people in this thread screaming that the release of this information (right before elections) was politically motivated...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #15
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
Al-Qaeda is sending mail bombs now? This is the same group that did extraordinary feats of mass destruction in New York and Madrid? They are now Fed-Exing bombs? I am not trying to trivialize this, but I expect more from them.

Failing at doing something that a guy in a cabin in Montana did successfully for 20 years is not a group that I feel I should be threatened by.

Don't get me wrong, I still think we should go after them and kill them, I am just really confused.

This. The warning recently of a Mubia-like attack in the offing for Europe is much more real and scary. It is almost like this kind of thing is just a joke-probe to see if they can get onme through.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #16
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
For every one of these that we hear about there are many that never make the news. If this were two years ago there would be several people in this thread screaming that the release of this information (right before elections) was politically motivated...

This. We only hear about a very small portion of the successes for good reason.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #17
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I think this proves without a doubt that Brett Favre works for Al Qaeda.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #18
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I think this proves without a doubt that Brett Favre works for Al Qaeda.

lol, we have a winner!!!!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #19
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
This. The warning recently of a Mubia-like attack in the offing for Europe is much more real and scary. It is almost like this kind of thing is just a joke-probe to see if they can get onme through.

I always thought bombing America in suburbia and in the heartland (in the malls, jewish community centers, schools) would be more effective than bombing financial centers. But I guess it's just something we really can't comprehend until it actually happens.

We're assuming this is a unibomber-esque, a bunch of nails in the face of the intended target kind of thing, and maybe it is. The early reports kind of suggest a stronger degree of explosive though.

Last edited by molson : 10-29-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #20
Tigercat
College Starter

For those saying that this isn't that special, my work over the last 6 months has been in this field, and I can assure you this isn't a one a week or once a month type threat. Tampered items sent to and through our cargo and transportation systems aren't unusual, but these days they are much more benign than what was found this week, and are usually seen as just test runs and don't target a specific person or place.

Last edited by Tigercat : 10-29-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #21
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I always thought bombing America in suburbia and in the heartland (in the malls, jewish community centers, schools) would be more effective than bombing financial centers. But I guess it's just something we really can't comprehend until it actually happens.

We're assuming this is a unibomber-esque, a bunch of nails in the face of the intended target kind of thing, and maybe it is. The early reports kind of suggest a stronger degree of explosive though.
Sadly, I agree with you. If they wanted to scare everyone, targeting a few malls or coffee shops in random suburbs would cause chaos. When you target high profile areas, you can beef up security accordingly and people can avoid them if they want. When it can happen in anyone's backyard and there is no way to make everything safe, that's what destroys confidence.

Feel sick even talking about it.

Last edited by RainMaker : 10-29-2010 at 09:48 PM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #22
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Sadly, I agree with you. If they wanted to scare everyone, targeting a few malls or coffee shops in random suburbs would cause chaos. When you target high profile areas, you can beef up security accordingly and people can avoid them if they want. When it can happen in anyone's backyard and there is no way to make everything safe, that's what destroys confidence.

Feel sick even talking about it.

motherfuckers better not fuck with my panera bread
Old 10-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #23
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Wasn't discussed at all in my office either. I got a CNN alert on my phone, but it's also been a very busy day in the office.

Damn, you must be important for the CNN to contact you directly.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I always thought bombing America in suburbia and in the heartland (in the malls, jewish community centers, schools) would be more effective than bombing financial centers.

+1

Thankfully, there seems to be a significant disconnect between the general U.S. mindset & the understanding of that by our more violent enemies.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:40 AM   #25
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That would be more effective if the goal was actual terror. The goal is to kill the highest numbers posible in most cases.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #27
Rizon
Pro Starter

Scary, one of the packages was addressed to the company my fiance works for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #28
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Wal-Mart in Savannah Georgia on orange alert!