Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2010, 02:03 AM   #1
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Formatting a former system drive

Alright, here is the quick version of the story: had Windows XP, wanted to upgrade to Windows 7, but on a different drive. I have 2 internal drives, so I wiped one and installed 7 on that one - so basically I currently have a dual-boot scenario. They are SATA drives, but the now Windows 7 drive (which we will call D) is drive 2 (while the WinXP drive, C, is drive 0)

When I boot to Win7, it has the drive letters "correct" (Win7 as C, WinXP as D) - but I don't put stock in that anyway. Basically what I want to do is format the WinXP drive, wipe it clean. Can't do it with any formatting tool from Win7 though - since it considers it a system drive (and it contains the master boot record). I probably should have unplugged that drive when installing Win7, since it would have installed all the boot stuff on the correct drive, but alas. Any suggestions as to what I can do to get the correct boot files, etc. on the Win7 drive? I have tried doing the repair option from the disc (multiple times) - the repair does find something (saying there are no system files in the partition table, or something to that effect), but the repair doesn't seem to make a difference. Is there a way to fix this without having to reinstall Win7?

Last edited by PackerFanatic : 11-28-2010 at 02:04 AM.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:32 AM   #2
Antmeister
Pro Starter

How did you try to format it?

Did you try right clicking on the drive in 'Computer' or did you go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Computer Management and trying to format from the Storage Category? If I remember correctly, for myself, I used the latter to format the drive.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:51 AM   #3
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Ok, I just reread this. Are you saying the MBR is on the WinXP drive only? If this is the case, unplug the Windows XP drive and make the Windows 7 drive first priority in the BIOS. Restart and see if the Startup Repair will work then, because I am wondering if just kept repairing the MBR on WinXP since it already resides there instead of doing it on the drive you want. Afterwards plug in the WinXP drive and you should be able to format it.

Last edited by Antmeister : 11-28-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

That's what I had done, Ant (unplugging the WinXP drive and doing startup repair with only the Win7 drive). In my BIOS, there wasn't option for both drives - just generic "SATA Hard Drive". I got an error saying a drive was missing, but I was able to continue and boot to the Win7 disc. And yes, I think the MBR is on the XP drive only, I think that is why I couldn't boot to the Win7 drive alone.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
Shepp
High School Varsity

If you are already booting to W7, can't you just delete the volume of the XP drive through your disk manager?
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

It won't allow me to - it's viewing the XP partition as the "primary" partition. If I unplug the XP drive, the 7 drive won't even boot. I am thinking I might just be better off wiping everything and installing 7 on the "primary" drive.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Try this:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ot-record.html
Old 11-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Thanks, Ant. I will give that a try tonight
Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #9
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Unfortunately, no luck with that command. I tried it both with the XP drive plugging in and not. With the XP drive not plugged in, it wouldn't even run (saying the "system partition was not found"). So back to the drawing board! There has to be a way to make it so that drive can boot alone...
Old 11-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #10
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I believe you are fucked, and need to make the new OS drive, drive C, which is going to mean a complete reinstall. Unlesss things have radically changed, you can't change the OS drive letter after the fact.

Don't take my word to be gospel by any means, but i once made a similar mistake and the only recourse was the eventual complete reinstall with the new main drive as the C drive.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

It's funny because when I am booted into the 7 drive, that drive is the C: drive (with the XP drive being the D: drive) - but it is the other way around when I am booted into XP or when booted to the 7 DVD. Very odd.

I posted to the SevenForums (that Ant had linked) and got some responses that I am going to try tonight.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Being from Chicago I wouldn't normally help a Packers fan but...

...watch the video in this link: http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/itdojo/?p=1306

The text version can be found here: http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/wi...tCol;post-1306

Good luck as this procedure is not for the inexperienced.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #13
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Thanks weegee! The first part (copying the boot files) isn't something I have seen anywhere and might be just the piece I am missing!
Old 12-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #14
weegeebored
High School Varsity

You're welcome. I hope it works. Let us know.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #15
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Unfortunately no luck...looks as though the Win7 drive is marked as a logical, extended partition, meaning it is not able to be marked as active. I think the only way for me to make it the primary partition would be to format it as such.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #16
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Oooh snap - got it figured out! Thanks to the wonderful folks at SevenForums.com, I was led to a tool called Partition Wizard. I was able to download a bootable version and mark my Win7 drive as active and primary, then I just had to swap the SATA ports of the two drives (since the XP was the drive that was booting before)

In case anyone is interested in the resolution: Moving MBR to Windows 7 drive - Windows 7 Forums

Thanks for all your help here too, folks. Love the power of the interwebs