Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #251
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
So much for home field advantage this weekend.

All 4 lost, right? Has that ever happened?

EDIT: Seattle at home, right?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-09-2011 at 06:54 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #252
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
If the Packers run Kuhn up the gut on 3rd & 1 again this postseason I will kick the nearest puppy. Do you hear me, McCarthy? A PUPPY.

Completely predictable.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #253
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
All 4 lost, right? Has that ever happened?

SI

3 of 4.

If you asked before the week, 3 home teams will lose, Seattle wouldn't have been my guess as the lone home team to win.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #254
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

On a side note, Chicago has some good fortune going their way this season. Seattle at home? *L*

I'm sure if you asked a Bear fan, "Hey, would you be happy with a first round bye and then the first game would be vs a 7-9 team" the response would have been.. "Don't be an idiot"
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 01-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #255
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
On a side note, Chicago has some good fortune going their way this season. Seattle at home? *L*

I'm sure if you asked a Bear fan, "Hey, would you be happy with a first round bye and then the first game would be vs a 7-9 team" the response would have been.. "Don't be an idiot"

I cannot remember the last time a team had so much good luck go their way for an entire season. How much longer can it last?
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #256
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
So much for home field advantage this weekend.

It has been talked about for several weeks now that each of 5th and 6th seeds were likely better than the 3rd and 4th seeds. Saints should have won making that observation completely true.

Very happy that the Packers won.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #257
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Seattle beat the Bears earlier this year.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #258
bhlloy
Coordinator

If Hasselbeck plays as well as he did vs the Saints, I wouldn't want to go up against this Seahawks team. Hardly a gimme for the Bears, at least IMO.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #259
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

And then Cutler channels his inner Jeff George.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #260
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I think everyone has overrated Vick this season. He had one amazing game but IMO is basically the same QB he was when he got locked up.

If I am the Eagles I proceed with caution.

???

I think you may want to look over his game by game statistics again. I assume his one big game was against the Giants? What about 6 TD's against Washington? Or 4 against Jacksonville? Or an 8-3 record as a starter?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #261
Comey
College Starter

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm on board with Lathum. His bad decision rate was the highest in the NFL by far; he had 25 near-pics through his twelve starts. He's smaller, so his mid-range passes sail more. And he'll be 31 next year, and takes a beating.

I'm a little skeptical about him long-term. I greatly enjoyed what he brought to the offense, but the offense wasn't consistent as a result.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #262
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
???

I think you may want to look over his game by game statistics again. I assume his one big game was against the Giants? What about 6 TD's against Washington? Or 4 against Jacksonville? Or an 8-3 record as a starter?

and he was a dynamic QB with Atlanta capable of taking over games but also prone to not showing up.

I think people forgot how good he was before he went away and went nuts when he had a few great games. He is and always was an amazing talent, my point is that he is the same guy as he was when he went away.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #263
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

In addition having big play weapons like Deshaun Jackson, Maclin, and McCoy do nothing to hurt how effective Vick was this year.

The biggest difference I seen in Vick this year was Andy Reid actually allowing him a chance to use his talent effectively instead of chaining him up like the Atlanta coaches used to love to do.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #264
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
and he was a dynamic QB with Atlanta capable of taking over games but also prone to not showing up.

I think people forgot how good he was before he went away and went nuts when he had a few great games. He is and always was an amazing talent, my point is that he is the same guy as he was when he went away.

Fair enough but I think I may shop the Kevin Kolb market in the offseason instead of the Michael Vick one. I also am not sold on Andy Reid as a coach. Not really defending McNabb or Vick as much as he seems to be the NFL coach that makes me shake my head the most about decisions that are made. I often wonder if he has actually cost them more Super Bowl appearances.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #265
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

If you sign Vick you are looking at a 3-4 window max where he can be the Vick we know. A 35 year old Vick is going to go down hill and I imagine rather fast. Reid gets graded rather highly in everything outside of game management, which he is notoriously bad.

If you are Philly and sign Vick, you are almost hoping to catch lightning in the bottle where Vick goes on enough of a run to counter the number of poor decisions Reid is going to make. Even if that isn't the ideal situation, it's tough thinking of a better one that they could create for themselves. They are like some teams, especially Baltimore, in that they are a virtual lock for the playoffs, but you have a hard time convincing yourself they could actually win the Super Bowl unless a magical season happened for them.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #266
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Pretty amazing that my Bears will get to play the Hawks next. I know they beat us earlier in the year, but I'd still rather take my chances vs them than the Saints or Eagles.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-09-2011 at 08:33 PM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #267
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

They'd never say this out loud, but I'd guess that Atlanta would be in favor of a divisional round reseeding system right about now.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #268
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Pretty amazing that my Bears will get to play the Hawks next. I know they beat us earlier in the year, but I'd still rather take my chances vs them than the Saints or Eagles.

Yeah, out of all of the teams in the NFC to meet in the playoffs, the one team I was hoping the Falcons could avoid was the Packers. I personally think the Falcons and Packers are the two best NFC teams right now (even though we have seen that these games can easily go either way for any of the teams).

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #269
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They'd never say this out loud, but I'd guess that Atlanta would be in favor of a divisional round reseeding system right about now.

Well I'm not the Falcons, just a life long Falcons fan, but despite my last post the reality is you get who you get and if you want to be champion, you have to eventually beat the best teams anyways.

So even though of course I would rather face the Seahawks than the Packers next week, I highly would imagine that the Falcons would have had to beat the Packers at some point anyways, whether this round or the NFC Championship. So I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best next week!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #270
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
If the Packers run Kuhn up the gut on 3rd & 1 again this postseason I will kick the nearest puppy. Do you hear me, McCarthy? A PUPPY.

Completely predictable.

+100

I was hoping they would do a play-action fake out of that set, since I guarantee that would have worked better.

But a great game overall none-the-less, and I very much look forward to the Falcons rematch. Should be a fantastic game.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #271
SackAttack
Head Coach

A Philadelphia team losing in the playoffs two days before my birthday? Why, thank you, football gods. Your gift is accepted.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #272
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Well I'm not the Falcons, just a life long Falcons fan, but despite my last post the reality is you get who you get and if you want to be champion, you have to eventually beat the best teams anyways.

So even though of course I would rather face the Seahawks than the Packers next week, I highly would imagine that the Falcons would have had to beat the Packers at some point anyways, whether this round or the NFC Championship. So I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best next week!

While I'm 50-50 on re-seeding for the wild card round, the schedule for next week has me heavily in favour of re-seeding based on record for the divisional round.

The Falcons won the conference and get arguably the other top team in the conference while the Bears finished second and get the 7-9 Seahawks at home. You win the conference, you should get the worst team.

Better yet, you could give the Conference champion their pick of which two wild card round winners they want to play, essentially allowing the Falcons to choose between Seahawks/Packers and and Pats to choose between Jets/Ravens. It could really add a nice twist some seasons.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #273
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Except, you can't have team sitting on the tarmac waiting to find out where they are going to go play the following week after the game.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #274
Danny
Head Coach

Falcons and Packers are the only two teams left in the post-season that I like, so I would have preferred they meet in the NFC Championship. In the AFC, looks like I'll be rooting for the Ravens.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:33 AM   #275
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I would let the top team pick who they want to play. Would make it a little more interesting.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #276
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Except, you can't have team sitting on the tarmac waiting to find out where they are going to go play the following week after the game.

I don't follow. That is what can happen now with the 4/5 seed. They don't know who they will play until after the 3/6 game is played.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:03 AM   #277
sabotai
General Manager

I'd hate the idea of the top team picking if only because every week, we'd have to deal with teams yelling "They're scared of us! They picked the other team because they know we'd whip 'em!"
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #278
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I'd hate the idea of the top team picking if only because every week, we'd have to deal with teams yelling "They're scared of us! They picked the other team because they know we'd whip 'em!"

And the other side of the coin you would have 'Oh... they don't respect us, they think we are the weaker team'
Old 01-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #279
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I don't know, I think it would add a little intrigue to the game and make getting a top seed even more valuable.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #280
molson
General Manager

I think most coaches would just pick based on seeding, or some other pre-stated neutral criteria to avoid appearances of disrespect, bulletin board material, etc. Coaches hate that stuff.

And with the importance of home field advantage declining all the time, I don't know why we need to give the lower seeded team an advantage in motivation.

Last edited by molson : 01-10-2011 at 08:27 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #281
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
3 of 4.

If you asked before the week, 3 home teams will lose, Seattle wouldn't have been my guess as the lone home team to win.
This also happened in the 2005 and 2004 seasons. Each of the past three seasons there was a 2-2 split in the wild card round.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #282
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

70,000 fans at Qwest caused a minor earthquake when Lynch went on his amazing run.

Incompatible Browser | Facebook
Old 01-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #283
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
A Philadelphia team losing in the playoffs two days before my birthday? Why, thank you, football gods. Your gift is accepted.

Good luck to your Packers.

Signed,
An Eagles fan

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #284
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
If you sign Vick you are looking at a 3-4 window max where he can be the Vick we know. A 35 year old Vick is going to go down hill and I imagine rather fast. Reid gets graded rather highly in everything outside of game management, which he is notoriously bad.

While I think Vick has really benefited by not being really "hit" for 3+ years...I still think he's Philly's best shot. He's definitely shown that he can be slowed by getting hit with regularity. 2 games against the Giants and 2 games against Dallas every year will certainly take its toll on his ability to be as dynamic (throw in 2xWAS if they ever get back to their typical play on defense).

But I've never been sold on Kevin Kolb either. So while I would likely try to keep him as an insurance policy for Vick...as Vick has proven IMO you'll need it for 3-4 games a year on avg...if you have to get rid of 1 of them I think its a no-brainer that you shop Kolb around.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #285
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post

Signed,
An Eagles fan

I don't think he's a Packers fan, but I could be wrong.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #286
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post

Signed,
An Eagles fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I don't think he's a Packers fan, but I could be wrong.

As far as I'm a "fan" of any team in the league, it'd be the Packers. Local team and all, and unlike baseball, where I grew up bleeding blue, I don't have a dominant prior claim on my fanhood.

There are folks on this board who are bigger Packers fans than I am, for sure, but I do follow and support the team.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #287
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I think all of the playoff teams should get to choose an NFL non-playoff team, a CFL team, or a Lingerie Football League team to play against for their first game. That'll make the playoff teams prove that they really belong there.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #288
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Apologies if this was already posted, I missed it if it was.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #289
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Jon THAT WAS GREAT!!!
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #290
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Jon THAT WAS GREAT!!!

+1

Probably the most awesome thing I've seen in a while.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:36 PM   #291
MikeVic
Head Coach

That was so awesome. Even the way that guy flys back reminds me of Tecmo!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #292
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I preferred the Super Mario version, but that was great.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 01-11-2011 at 05:40 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote