Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #51
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Hey its cool that Markus had something to say about PureSim 4 - clearly he's been keeping up with the progress of the game and the new features that were added in PureSim 3 as well as PureSim 4 so that's got to be a sign of how good PureSim 4 is

I can't stress this enough - PureSim 4 is an AWESOME game and right now you can still get it in our "First Access" program and save $5 so you're only spending $25 for it. I can guarantee you that if you love baseball and baseball sims that you're not going to find a better way to spend $25. It is definitely worth your time and money and its got a MASSIVELY detailed manual that Tim has put together so even as a new player you will easily be able to get into the game without being overwhelmed. Shaun has put in a heroic effort on this game and you have got to try it for yourself and see how realistic the game is and how accurate the stats are and how good the AI is. Shaun has created a brilliant baseball game and you need to play it to see it for yourself.

Gary Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #52
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

The thing I really like with Puresim is that if I want to try out an idea for a new universe I can jump in pretty quick make a few adjustments and see what it becomes. One of my biggest issues with OOTP (which I continue to buy) is I feel that I need to do too much to get started. As an ADD gamer many of my ideas fall flat or do not get much play after the first week. My favorite version is still OOTP 6.5 which I still play in an online league. While I really love the detail in the newer versions for someone who has limited gaming time simplicity ranks pretty high.

All that said both are great games that I will continue to support.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #53
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I support both, but if someone said their product was the most accurate on the market, I'd say something too.

It wasn't like he said anything that was rude or rubbed Shaun the wrong way.

PS4 caters to the historical crowd, so if that's you.. definitely give it a spin. I use PS4 to start with my Cardinals in 1984 and OOTP for MLB today and beyond.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-01-2011 at 01:51 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #54
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

My comment from the visitors dugout is that I really like working with both Shaun and Markus, and enjoy contributing to their games with my mods and website. 95% of my time with their games is mod related, and about 5% gaming related.

Most recently, I finished a mod for PS4 that provides an image and custom ball-flight animation settings for every ballpark in the Puresim database (these are referred to as .PRK files). Shaun then implemented a feature so that during league creation, and each subsequent year, the PRK file is automatically assigned. This is a really cool feature that has a lot of the historical-play Puresim folks excited. This is a follow-up to my historical logo mod which works in Puresim in the same manner. Now folks who like to play from 1900-2010 will get team colors, team logos, and correct ballparks all assigned "auto-magically" without having to enter any configuration screens.

As a gamer, I continue to play three baseball games. OOTP for my fictional careers (I love Facegen), Puresim for my historical careers, and PC Replay for my season replay's.
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #55
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The baseball text sim community is lucky to have someone like you PDF, your work is greatly appreciated!!!

So the logo mod works in PS4 as well?

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-01-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #56
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
The baseball text sim community is lucky to have someone like you PDF, your work is greatly appreciated!!!

So the logo mod works in PS4 as well?

Yep! You just need to move the files over from PS3 to PS4 for now. I'll update the installer when it's release time....
Old 03-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #57
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Is the ball flight animation for every ballpark only a PS4 thing?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #58
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Is the ball flight animation for every ballpark only a PS4 thing?

OOTP supports this functionality as well. The difference is that I don't believe OOTP will automatically assign the mod files during season creation like PS4 will....
Old 03-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #59
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Sorry should have been cleared I meant does this work in PS3?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #60
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Sorry should have been cleared I meant does this work in PS3?

Ah! No, this is a new feature for PS4...
Old 03-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #61
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Is there some way to play the 2011 season with current rosters? I want to start a new career but only the 2010 season is available.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #62
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Is there some way to play the 2011 season with current rosters? I want to start a new career but only the 2010 season is available.

That would require someone to create a 2011 Roster set, which doesn't exist as far as I know. Don't know of plans for one either....
Old 03-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #63
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
Yep! You just need to move the files over from PS3 to PS4 for now. I'll update the installer when it's release time....

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #64
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

I'm curious if I'm missing anything, but in my trials, I've not not seen what makes this so historically accurate.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #65
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
I'm curious if I'm missing anything, but in my trials, I've not not seen what makes this so historically accurate.

What exactly do you mean?

In the sense of recreating history as it was No it doest but recreating a new history with similiar stats and dynasties we see today it seems well done to me.

What part are you describing?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-01-2011 at 08:37 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #66
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
What exactly do you mean?

In the sense of recreating history as it was No it doest but recreating a new history with similiar stats and dynasties we see today it seems well done to me.

What part are you describing?

Recreating history as it was, it does alright, but at first glance, to me personally, nothing that I'd say is far better than anything else. I'm just curious if I'm missing something.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #67
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Recreating history as it was, it does alright, but at first glance, to me personally, nothing that I'd say is far better than anything else. I'm just curious if I'm missing something.

No I dont think so as far as recreating history as it was.

I guess what I liked about is simming 100 years ahead in time and looking at everything and thinking "Wow, I could see this happening."

I simmed 100 years ahead and the Big Ten was a mid major conference. It sounds kind of strange but if we think back just 30-40 years ago how much the conferences have changed it seems possible.

Other impressions were that scoring and individual stats seem to come out very well over the period of time.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #68
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
No I dont think so as far as recreating history as it was.

I guess what I liked about is simming 100 years ahead in time and looking at everything and thinking "Wow, I could see this happening."

I simmed 100 years ahead and the Big Ten was a mid major conference. It sounds kind of strange but if we think back just 30-40 years ago how much the conferences have changed it seems possible.

Other impressions were that scoring and individual stats seem to come out very well over the period of time.

pretty sure you're in the wrong thread dude
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #69
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
pretty sure you're in the wrong thread dude

Haha, yes sorry! For some reason I was thinking I was in the FBCB2 thread.

But yes I think PureSim does a great job of recreating history as well. The engine is designed that way. OOTP has an engine the probably better for recreating the game itself but the historical stats are going to be quite variable that way(because of the DIPS engine). As far as I know Puresim isnt using that model so it can keep the stats less variable.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-01-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #70
General Mike
Pro Starter

Thinking about buying it early. I really liked OOTP a decade ago, but once they made the leap to SI I just havent had the same enjoyment of the game. For some reason it seems so much harder for me to just be the teams GM and let the AI handle the day to day stuff. Hopefully Puresim can handle that for me.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #71
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
For some reason it seems so much harder for me to just be the teams GM and let the AI handle the day to day stuff.

This is the only way I play -- well and varying forms of God mode. The sweet spot seems to be games that allow you to micromange if you want, but give you the ability to ignore the details and control the team from the 50,000ft. view if you prefer.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #72
Tim Tellean
High School JV

Quote:

Real life transactions are included. The stats are very close to historic levels. Real life managers can be assigned to the teams. Real life ball park images are available.
Tim Tellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #73
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Okay quick question. I tried downloading PS4 and when I went to install the game it said I needed to upgrade XP to SP3. i could not figure out why the heck I would not have upgraded. Anyways I went and downloaded Service Pack 3, rebooted and low and behold I remember what the issue was. I now cannot connect to the internet and completely lost Outlook Express. Weird. Any ideas what this would happen?
Old 03-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #74
Qrusher14242
High School JV

Quote:
My comment from the visitors dugout is that I really like working with both Shaun and Markus, and enjoy contributing to their games with my mods and website. 95% of my time with their games is mod related, and about 5% gaming related.

Most recently, I finished a mod for PS4 that provides an image and custom ball-flight animation settings for every ballpark in the Puresim database (these are referred to as .PRK files). Shaun then implemented a feature so that during league creation, and each subsequent year, the PRK file is automatically assigned. This is a really cool feature that has a lot of the historical-play Puresim folks excited. This is a follow-up to my historical logo mod which works in Puresim in the same manner. Now folks who like to play from 1900-2010 will get team colors, team logos, and correct ballparks all assigned "auto-magically" without having to enter any configuration screens.

As a gamer, I continue to play three baseball games. OOTP for my fictional careers (I love Facegen), Puresim for my historical careers, and PC Replay for my season replay's.

What about ballpark images? does automatically find and assign them if they are named a certain way?

Also, is there a way to have rookies to be assigned to the teams they originally did, but without having the Tru life transactions? If not i guess i could just have them assigned randomly.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #75
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
Also, is there a way to have rookies to be assigned to the teams they originally did, but without having the Tru life transactions? If not i guess i could just have them assigned randomly.

This is the one thing PS desperately needs to add in historic. Right now, it doesn't look like there's any way, short of manually placing them on or using in-season tru-life transactions, for the rookies to be placed on the correct teams each year. It's all (all tru-life transactions, to the point where you are no longer the GM) or nothing (random draft, or manual placement).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #76
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
What about ballpark images? does automatically find and assign them if they are named a certain way?

The PRK files I am referring to include ballpark images. But if you mean just straight JPEGs, then no, it does nothing automatic with them at this time.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #77
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
That would require someone to create a 2011 Roster set, which doesn't exist as far as I know. Don't know of plans for one either....

Ah, how unfortunate. That's how I was looking forward to playing with the new season starting soon, I just assumed that would be possible when I bought the game yesterday.

I guess I can mess around with historical and/or fictional leagues (which are still pretty fun of course) until OOTP12 comes out eventually.

Last edited by Big Fo : 03-02-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #78
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
This is the one thing PS desperately needs to add in historic. Right now, it doesn't look like there's any way, short of manually placing them on or using in-season tru-life transactions, for the rookies to be placed on the correct teams each year. It's all (all tru-life transactions, to the point where you are no longer the GM) or nothing (random draft, or manual placement).

I'm curious about this because its something I've thought of for the pro hoops game down the line - you would want the situation where you start at one point in history and change it based on moves you make but you want the rookies to go to their real team as opposed to being part of the rewritten history or am I misunderstanding what you're asking for?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #79
Ksyrup

Yes. Basically, I want the draft to be irrelevant in my historical league. Assume all players were drafted/signed/whatever by their original teams and rewrite history from there. Obviously, those players may flame out, get injured, or traded, or leave for free agency, etc., once they are in the game, but for purposes of how they enter the game, I'd want them placed with their original organizations.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #80
Qrusher14242
High School JV

yeah, OOTP has that feature. i think its 'Assign Historical Rookies to Original Teams' or something to that effect.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:35 AM   #81
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yes. Basically, I want the draft to be irrelevant in my historical league. Assume all players were drafted/signed/whatever by their original teams and rewrite history from there. Obviously, those players may flame out, get injured, or traded, or leave for free agency, etc., once they are in the game, but for purposes of how they enter the game, I'd want them placed with their original organizations.

But then you can't trade draft picks i guess, as there is no real draft but players assigned to the right teams...unless the feature is done to not to assign the players to the teams but to the draft picks, so if team A trades the 1990 #1 pick to team B, team B gets auto assigned the player that was #1 in 1990.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:34 AM   #82
Ksyrup

There is no draft, period. And you can't trade draft picks in baseball, anyway.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #83
Capital
High School Varsity

I think that they were trying to equate this scenario to basketball where draft picks are traded. It would make trades more difficult in the basketball scenario - if salary cap rules were enforced without #1 draft pick incentives.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #84
Ksyrup

Oh. I don't care about basketball.

In any sport, I think if you are contemplating an historical league where the players are simply put on the teams that drafted/signed them as rookies, there would be no draft mechanism at all. That's how OOTP does it, and I'm not sure I see any way you could have a draft in another sport if you were assigning rookies to their correct teams. The draft function would simply be turned off in leagues that used this option. At least until you got to current day, at which point fictional players would be created and you'd draft them going forward.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-03-2011 at 07:16 AM.