Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
Ragone
Pro Rookie

p90x

Started the p90x workout today, Wife is doing it with me as well.. Its really a well designed workout dvd series.. showing different ways to do each exercise and actually feels like fun to me.

Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
kingfc22
Head Coach

Let me know what you think after a few weeks.

My wife and I are also thinking about starting p90x.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

I'm been using it on and off for the past year or so. Never actually made it through the full three month program but did 6-7 weeks a couple times. I feel like the strength workouts are far more effective than what I do when just lifting on my own. I really like the plyometrics routine as well, but can take or leave most of the rest. I like to run first and foremost, though, so anymore I mostly use it to cross-train on days I'm not running.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

I was able to complete p90x at one point and the results were great. Although I sort of got the feeling that it is sort of an unrealistic program for most people to do through completion. I was just at a point where I had a lot of free time on my hands.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Time is the big concern for me. Once my semi-long distance relationship is no longer semi-long distant I'll have more time on my hands and I may try another crack at it.

TBL on Kinect is pretty good, really good for a shorter time period...but you can't beat the arm workouts on P90x.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #6
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

p90x works I highly recommend it if you have an hour and a half everyday to spare. I'm 5'11 190ish and it has me more toned. I love the yoga because it prevents you from reaching a plateau. I am currently doing Insanity and I can already see the results after a week.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:12 AM   #7
Poli
FOFC Survivor

That 90 minutes a day is what is key to me.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeah, there's no way I have that kind of time, so I have never seriously considered it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post

If I remember correctly, YogaX is the only workout that takes that long. And I hate that one - the moves are dangerous for someone inexperienced in yoga - so I didn't do it. The strength and plyo programs are excellent and that's the core of the program. CardioX and Kenpo aren't all that great and can be substituted out.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

No clue if it's good or not but I'm thinking if you can devote 90 minutes of every day to do doing a physical exercise, whatever that exercise may be as long as it's a bit structured, you will get in shape...

Sure, they have probably designed their program to work on some muscle groups and such, but again, if you can do 90 minutes a day every day, whatever you do, you'll get into shape...

FM
Old 02-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #11
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
If I remember correctly, YogaX is the only workout that takes that long. And I hate that one - the moves are dangerous for someone inexperienced in yoga - so I didn't do it. The strength and plyo programs are excellent and that's the core of the program. CardioX and Kenpo aren't all that great and can be substituted out.

Well, the others can take that long with the ab ripper on the back end of them. Not all were 90, some were 60, but the additional ab ripping throws about 15-20 at the least...and I know I certainly had to pause a time or two through the ab ripper...adding to that time.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

I think if you're dedicated enough to take 90 minutes a day to exercise then pretty much ANY regime will help tbh.

My soccer league starts up again later this month so I started trying to get back in shape a bit more last month and am up to doing 90 minutes a day exercising and it definitely has helped me with energy levels as well as my waist

(for me its an hour on an elliptical and 30 minutes either running or cycling with some sit-ups a few times a week thrown in, nothing too heavy or well organised)

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 02-02-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #13
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I can't disagree. I can't put 90 minutes in, either.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #14
MJ4H
Coordinator

90 mins is pretty lol. No way.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #15
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I fell just short of completing the program last year. Phase 3 killed me. But I blame it on going half-assed during Phase 2 as well as skipping over some of the workouts that I didn't really care for or fast forwarding due to time constraints.

But it did deliver good results. I felt stronger as I progressed through the program - I never thought I could do a one-handed pushup until P90x.

I didn't follow the nutrition regimen at all, so my weight loss was minimal.

All in all, you wont be disapointed with this program. But you do have to put in the time.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #16
wade moore
lolzcat

It definitely delivers, but as others have said the time is a burden. I also did about 8-9 weeks several times. But really, 60-90 minutes, 6 days a week is tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #17
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I am currently doing Insanity and I can already see the results after a week.

How is Insanity compared to p90x? I'm curious enough to try it.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #18
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
How is Insanity compared to p90x? I'm curious enough to try it.

Insanity is quite different - lots of cardio, jumping and high energy for around 45 minutes per workout. It's pretty intense - it's a lot like doing plyo mixed with pushups continuously. Most people I know quit Insanity after just a few weeks because it's pretty much a grind every day. There's little joy in Insanityville and the workouts are quite similar. People get bored/tired/hurt or discouraged and switch to something easier/more variety/more fun. If you can stick with it, it works...but that's a big IF.

As far as 90X goes, some of you are a bit too literal on the included schedule. You don't have to do everything the exact way as recommended. Frankly, Tony tends to over-train your abs on 90X and some of the workouts just aren't that fun. If you do the weight portions 3 times a week, do the Plyo once, sub in a better kickboxing workout (Ilaria's Powerstrike series are awesome) and then do just the abs on Saturday, you're going to get the vast majority of the benefits of doing 90X without going 90 minutes per day.

Last edited by Blackadar : 02-03-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:10 AM   #19
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I might do that and call it P45onmostdaysX.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 AM   #20
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Insanity is quite different - lots of cardio, jumping and high energy for around 45 minutes per workout. It's pretty intense - it's a lot like doing plyo mixed with pushups continuously. Most people I know quit Insanity after just a few weeks because it's pretty much a grind every day. There's little joy in Insanityville and the workouts are quite similar. People get bored/tired/hurt or discouraged and switch to something easier/more variety/more fun. If you can stick with it, it works...but that's a big IF.

As far as 90X goes, some of you are a bit too literal on the included schedule. You don't have to do everything the exact way as recommended. Frankly, Tony tends to over-train your abs on 90X and some of the workouts just aren't that fun. If you do the weight portions 3 times a week, do the Plyo once, sub in a better kickboxing workout (Ilaria's Powerstrike series are awesome) and then do just the abs on Saturday, you're going to get the vast majority of the benefits of doing 90X without going 90 minutes per day.

FWIW, this is essentially what I was doing. It's still a grind. I did the weights 3 days a week and did some sort of cardio/stretching the other days. I did his CardioX a lot for instance in place of some of the other stuff.

It's still 45-60 minutes a day. That's still a lot of time. It's still a grind.

Now, keep in mind, I've *never* "worked" out before for more than say a 2 week stretch when I started doing p90x. So for someone that's worked out int he past, etc, etc, it may be fine. But it was a serious grind for me. But when I stuck to it, it certainly "worked".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #21
BYU 14
Coordinator

I incorporate some of P90X into my routine (doing Plyo today) and have a program that is not a grind to me, which is the key to being successful no matter what you do.

I dumped free weights a few years back because it was just getting too hard on some of my joints (mainly Shoulders)

I work from home 4 days a week, so I do a workout at lunch everyday I am home, alternating between P90X and Bowflex, with the pacing of P90X incorporated into my Bowflex routine, fills a 60 minute lunch period nicely

Mon: Bowflex - Chest and Biceps
Tue: P90X Plyometrics
Wed: Bowflex - Back, Shoulders and Triceps
Thur: P90X Kenpo (or Plyo)
Fri: P90X Legs at noon (more intense than anything I can do on Bowflex) and Ab Ripper X after work.
Sat: P90X Yoga

I also do an hour of Jiu Jitsu on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, which is a very intense workout, but never gets old.

It took a while to arrive at this program, but I am pretty happy with it and feel it keeps things diverse enough to get long term results and not boring.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #22
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
FWIW, this is essentially what I was doing. It's still a grind. I did the weights 3 days a week and did some sort of cardio/stretching the other days. I did his CardioX a lot for instance in place of some of the other stuff.

It's still 45-60 minutes a day. That's still a lot of time. It's still a grind.

Now, keep in mind, I've *never* "worked" out before for more than say a 2 week stretch when I started doing p90x. So for someone that's worked out int he past, etc, etc, it may be fine. But it was a serious grind for me. But when I stuck to it, it certainly "worked".

If you haven't ever worked out before consistently, it's going to seem like a long time. Even for those who do the bare minimum workouts - 30 minutes, 3 times a week - it's going to seem like a large time commitment.

And it most certainly is a grind. It's a damn tough workout and one that will leave you sore pretty much every time you do it. It's not all that easy to work out knowing that it's going to be a rather painful experience both during and after the workout.

Personally, for guys who don't want that kind of time commitment or putting forth that much effort, I'd suggest Chalene Extreme (CLX). It's a weightlifting workout with dumbbells that concentrates on lifting as much as you can for 8-12 reps (depends on the workout). It's shorter (generally 35 minutes, one workout is 45 minutes), can easily be done 4-5 days a week (3 lifting workouts, one plyo-type workout) and gets results. It's done by a woman, so it doesn't feel as "manly" as P90X, but it's decently effective and not as grinding as P90X.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #23
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Chalean looks really good. might have to try it.

personally, I can't imagine doing p90x for long without Tony driving me absolutely batshit crazy
Old 02-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #24
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Chalean looks really good. might have to try it.

personally, I can't imagine doing p90x for long without Tony driving me absolutely batshit crazy
There are a few sound options including turning off Tony.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #25
moriarty
College Starter

Week 5 for me and I'm still enjoying the P90x routine (even if I dread plyo days). My favorite part is that it really works parts of my body that I would never work on my own.

The 90 days 6 on 1 off is tough to manage (god forbid you have a vacation planned), but I think you could still get good results if you only did it every other day. The program is made to be tailored, so if you don't want the 'Xtreme' you could still get a good workout.

Most workouts are ~60 minutes + 15 minute abs 3x week (other than the off week every 4th week). Yoga - 1x week is 90 minutes. So 75 minutes x 3 days, 90 minutes x 1, 60 minutes x 2 and an off day.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #26
Ragone
Pro Rookie

day 3 of p90x and i'm literally sore all over.. but really only have to commit 50 minutes a day..i feel pretty good other then the soreness..

i did invest in a foam roller to help with my flexibility.. and its really helping..
Old 02-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #27
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

well, I checked out the Insanity program tonight and did the fit test. I think some of the workouts might make it into my rotation. but I really like the looks of the Chalean workout, which I think I'll try tomorrow. that looks like it's right up my alley
Old 02-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #28
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
day 3 of p90x and i'm literally sore all over.. but really only have to commit 50 minutes a day..i feel pretty good other then the soreness..

i did invest in a foam roller to help with my flexibility.. and its really helping..

Get used to the soreness...it never went away for me doing P90X...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftDodger
well, I checked out the Insanity program tonight and did the fit test. I think some of the workouts might make it into my rotation. but I really like the looks of the Chalean workout, which I think I'll try tomorrow. that looks like it's right up my alley

I'm a CLX grad and it's about the best "moderate" program out there. You'll push hard while doing it, but it's not ridiculously intense like P90X, Insanity or Turbo Fire.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #29
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Day 3 is always the worst for me as far as the soreness goes. By the second week it usually doesn't bother me so much.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #30
Ragone
Pro Rookie

day 5 is over for me.. i'm not feeling as sore as i was on day 3.. but wife is defintely feeling it.. she skipped out on ab ripper x.. i wish i had..

i defintely feel less tired in the mornings working out like this now, thats one big improvement i think already.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #31
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

If p90x is a bit much I recommend either the p90 or p90 masters series. These are the first two steps up to p90x.

If you are starting fresh then p90 can be good, but can feel a little dated and maybe repetitive. But it is still a good place to start if you haven't exercised in a long time.

P90 masters series is more intense, but not quite as bad as p90x. The exercises are still under and hour, more in the 40-45 min range on average I would say. There is more variety then the p90 videos.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #32
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

p90x was awesome...for about a month. then we quit.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #33
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Not sure the reason for each person doing the P90X, but for those with time concerns, might I suggest the 10-Minute Trainer.

I have done these for a while. It's 9 workouts comprised of ten 1 minute exercises from P90X (so I've been told from P90X). The discs also come with a calendar that says which one (or up to 3) sets you do each day.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #34
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygr View Post
If p90x is a bit much I recommend either the p90 or p90 masters series. These are the first two steps up to p90x.

If you are starting fresh then p90 can be good, but can feel a little dated and maybe repetitive. But it is still a good place to start if you haven't exercised in a long time.

P90 masters series is more intense, but not quite as bad as p90x. The exercises are still under and hour, more in the 40-45 min range on average I would say. There is more variety then the p90 videos.

I couldn't recommend P90...at least not in this day and age. While effective, they're very dated graphically and Tony hams it up too much in those. I can tolerate him in P90X, but not in P90. It's only 4 DVDs for 90 days and the last two are nothing more than extended versions of the first two.

Never did P90 Masters series....

Just for the hell of it, I did P90X Chest and Back this morning. Hadn't done a strength building P90X in a couple of years. The pull-ups still aren't happening, but I did pretty damn well overall.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #35
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Blackadar,

What would you suggest for someone who is trying to get into shape for p90x? I have used p90 before, but like you said, it is very repetitive.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #36
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Blackadar,

What would you suggest for someone who is trying to get into shape for p90x? I have used p90 before, but like you said, it is very repetitive.

CLX (Chalene Extreme) is probably the best "program" out there if you're looking to build muscle. It's like P90X-lite. Not as long, not as hard, no pull-ups, etc. Just a lot of weight (dumbbell) work with a plyo workout thrown into the mix. It's a 90 day program that produces results without being killer.

However, if you didn't want to go for that much money, I'd suggest a couple of decent workouts. Jillian's 30 Day Shred can be found at any Walmart for $10 and is pretty effective. Tom Holland's Total Body Workout is an excellent basic weight workout though it's gotten pricey over the years. Atletica from Ilaria is a very different dumbbell weightlifting workout that's difficult but works you in ways you didn't think you could be worked - I really like that one and highly recommend it. Bob Harper has a strength workout that looks pretty intense - Burn Super Strength. Another good series is the 30 Minutes to Fitness series with Kelly Coffey - that's another strong recommendation.

You can preview pretty much all of these at Total Fitness DVDs - Your Total Source for Fitness, which is also an awesome place to get workout DVDs. I'd strongly encourage anyone to get theirs from that website first, even over Amazon.com. I normally don't pimp vendors, but that's one I'll stand up and vouch for. And since you get to preview stuff, that's even better.

And yes, I would suggest conditioning your muscles before embarking on P90x. I found it rather painful when I thought I was ready, but I really wasn't. I just gave up on it because I was popping ibuprofen all of the time to relieve muscle soreness. That's no fun.

Last edited by Blackadar : 02-08-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #37
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I just want to let everyone know that I bought the Chalean Extreme program. I am using the first phase, and the workouts are fun and energetic. I can't speak much for results yet, as I have only been doing for about a week. I am planning on using it to get into shape for P90X. I got it for about $40 on ebay.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #38
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

yeah, I like Chalean program as well. but I need to invest in some new weights. really trying to justify the price of some powerblocks or something similar. although that's a lot more money than I usually spend on myself.