Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Easy Mac

The Simpsons Did It.

Neighborhood Residents Upset With Nude Art Displayed In Front Yard - Abilene News Story - KTXS Abilene

Quote:
ABILENE, Texas -- A piece of yard art is drumming up controversy in an Abilene neighborhood.
A family has displayed the statue of David in their garden. If you didn't know, the statue of David is of a naked man, and though the owners say this is just art some residents are finding it offensive.
Roxanna Nunez, who lives down the street, says her children have started asking questions, "Mom what is that, uh...what can you tell a child if you haven't talked about sex yet."
Alina Hatcher agrees, "You have a lot of mothers and parents in this neighborhood who are outraged by it."
The homeowner didn't go on camera Tuesday, but did talk to KTXS saying they are not trying to offend anyone.
They say it's a statue they fell in love with, that it's just art, and its just body parts. At this time they don't plan to take it down.
Neighbors say they understand it's art, but does it have to be this anatomically correct? "To have this type of expression of yourself to put out it's a little daunting," said Hatcher.
"Some art needs to be left in the dog gone museum," echoed Nunez.
We showed Abilene Police a picture of "David", they say it is not against the laws to display art like that. However, they encourage the owners to cover him in order to "keep the peace" among the neighborhood.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

Ah, Abilene...more churches per capita than any city in the US. This doesn't surprise me one bit.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Gee, what should we do if our kids bring up the issue of sex? I don't know, maybe talk to them about it and not freak out? Liked the line of "mothers and parents." Way to skip around fathers.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
RendeR
Coordinator

Its Texas, WTF does anyone expect?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Ah, Abilene...more churches per capita than any city in the US. This doesn't surprise me one bit.

Funny, my hometown (Grand Rapids, MI) has also claimed that fame as well. After poking around, I found even more cities that claim it, but no verification of any.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
RedHawk00
H.S. Freshman Team

jeebus, i dont get it, i tell my son's its a penis you and all other boys have one, girls dont, they have boobies, not hard, they understand and they are only 3 & 6
RedHawk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Note to self: If driving through Texas, drive around Abilene, if possible.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Although if forced to drive through Abilene, stop at David's house and shake owners' hands.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
Logan
Head Coach

Roxanna Nunez is a moron.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I like that they quoted the "dog gone" part. I hadn't paid attention to where this was, but as soon as I read that, I immediately knew it was the south.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
JediKooter
Coordinator

We should force Texas to secede from the union.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
Easy Mac

To be fair to the neighbors, I will agree there's no reason to put the statue in the front yard in the middle of the house. If its in the back yard, it gets less press.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post

Texas is one of the most stable states in the union. Despite their flaws I would love to live in Texas especially if oil becomes a major issue worldwide.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Texas is one of the most stable states in the union. Despite their flaws I would love to live in Texas especially if oil becomes a major issue worldwide.

From what I've read recently, all is not well with Texas' finances. They are pretty much broke like the majority of the other states.

And I would NOT subject my kids to their educational system.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 05-13-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
From what I've read recently, all is not well with Texas' finances. They are pretty much broke like the majority of the other states.

Interesting considering the amount of top universities in Texas. University of Texas is one of the top public schools in America and within the next decade or two should be on par with historical ivy league schools.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #16
JediKooter
Coordinator

Their colleges are fine. It's their primary educational system that is nothing to write home about.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
within the next decade or two should be on par with historical ivy league schools.

What's the thought process behind this claim?

Ehhh, I suppose if you're using Cornell as your barometer its defensible.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 05-13-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #18
Autumn
Head Coach

I don't know what makes a parent think they can't explain a penis without explaining sex to their kid. It's hard to me to imagine a kid of an age that she can ask questions about a statue but doesn't understand basic anatomy yet.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #19
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't think that is much different than other schools and states. I think it depends on where you live, like most places.

As for University of Texas to compete with an Ivy League program, how are they even comparable? I think Rice would be the closest Texas-based school to an Ivy League school.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #20
Galaxy
Coordinator

By the way, who the heck puts a statue of David in their front yard? (Though I love that it pisses off the "religious parents".)
Old 05-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #21
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I don't think that is much different than other schools and states. I think it depends on where you live, like most places.

As for University of Texas to compete with an Ivy League program, how are they even comparable? I think Rice would be the closest Texas-based school to an Ivy League school.

Other than their anti-science and anti-history policies, yes, they aren't much different than other states.

I didn't make the comparison of Texas colleges to Ivy league colleges, so, I really can't speak to that. However, I'm sure Texas college football would give Ivy league schools a pretty good run for their money.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #22
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I can understand if it is the 'everything is bigger in Texas' version of David.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #23
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I can understand if it is the 'everything is bigger in Texas' version of David.

/thread.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #24
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Other than their anti-science and anti-history policies, yes, they aren't much different than other states.

I didn't make the comparison of Texas colleges to Ivy league colleges, so, I really can't speak to that. However, I'm sure Texas college football would give Ivy league schools a pretty good run for their money.

You really have no idea what you're talking about. And you can't generalize about an entire state. Some of the best public schools in the country are in Texas. My nieces and nephews have a public school experience that puts mine in Massachusetts to shame.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #25
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

The anti-history issues seem to me to be with every state, liberal or conservative.

I asked my 14 year old neice what she knew about us dropping the A-Bomb and was floored with what she was taught. The education was essentially we made a major mistake, brought on the cold war and should never have done it. She wasn't taught that there was another side to the issue.

I've never called Texas home, but there are idiots like this everywhere. To think they only reside there is more than a little silly.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #26
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

My favorite part of this is their use of the phrase "dog gone" in a news report.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #27
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

If you look at the "average" school in Texas it's probably pretty bad, but that's because there is such a high variance between school districts. If you can afford to live in an affluent town, your kids will receive a really good education. If you can't then they won't. In that regard Texas is just like the rest of America except more so, and Texans are really proud of that.

Last edited by I. J. Reilly : 05-13-2011 at 03:52 PM.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #28
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
You really have no idea what you're talking about. And you can't generalize about an entire state. Some of the best public schools in the country are in Texas. My nieces and nephews have a public school experience that puts mine in Massachusetts to shame.

Don McLeroy and Cynthia Dunbar ring a bell? There's no generalization about Texas being done here at all.

Yup, I'm just making it all up:

What Texas Textbook Battle Reveals About the Culture Wars - National - The Atlantic Wire

Revisionaries - Mariah Blake

Backstory: How The Texas Textbook Revision Came To Be
(I don't really like the huffington post because of their anti-vaccination stance and homeopathy garbage, but, this is a good break down)

Texas BOE Considers Creationist Material for Curriculum : Dispatches from the Culture Wars

In ANY community that has money, there seems to be a correlation to 'better' schools, regardless of the state, but, we're not talking about funding of schools and being able to hire the best teachers. You have to take into consideration of WHAT gets taught. This has nothing to do with teachers and everything to do with the Texas Board of Education and their handling of the curriculum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
The anti-history issues seem to me to be with every state, liberal or conservative.

I asked my 14 year old neice what she knew about us dropping the A-Bomb and was floored with what she was taught. The education was essentially we made a major mistake, brought on the cold war and should never have done it. She wasn't taught that there was another side to the issue.

I've never called Texas home, but there are idiots like this everywhere. To think they only reside there is more than a little silly.

I'm glad you brought up the subject of what gets taught. Texas is just one of those states that stands head shoulders above other states where their educational board, time and time again, goes off the deep end. What gets taught is extremely important.

It's the complete misrepresentation of something, like the example of the A bombs being dropped on Japan during WW2, that are inexcusable in any state. And it's really worrisome that Texas (the Board of Education) seems to be leading that charge.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #29
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:

if you think we will be the sorry ones in that deal, you'd be wrong . hell we would probably be in for it if yall made a big deal out of it
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #30
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

am I the only one who doesn't get the thread title?

I am assuming it has something to do with the TV show?

Last edited by Lathum : 05-13-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #31
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

I'm right there with you. The only Simpsons I know about are Homerish or OJish.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #32
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I'm right there with you. The only Simpsons I know about are Homerish or OJish.
There's some chick named Jessica Simpson who wears mom jeans.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #33
molson
General Manager

Quote:

There was a South Park episode that satirized the fact that their writers had a hard time coming up with a plotline that the Simpsons hadn't already covered in its 5 billion episodes. The phrase "simpsons did it" was heavily featured in a taunting tone (satirizing the fact that the south park writers no doubt hurt that phrase constantly when they were coming up with episode ideas.)

And there was one Simpsons episode about a nude statute in a circumstance like this one, though I can't really remember much about it.

Last edited by molson : 05-13-2011 at 05:34 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #34
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
if you think we will be the sorry ones in that deal, you'd be wrong . hell we would probably be in for it if yall made a big deal out of it

Hey, have you been eavesdropping on our meetings?

Old 05-14-2011, 03:14 AM   #35
Suicane75
Coordinator

Parents should shut up and the homeowners should have more fucking tact. It's the fuckin end of times here and there are no winners.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:07 AM   #36
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Parents should shut up and the homeowners should have more fucking tact. It's the fuckin end of times here and there are no winners.

Bingo.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:25 AM   #37
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Note to self: If driving through Texas, drive around Abilene, if possible.

Actually, we stay in Abilene everytime we drive through Texas. We always considered it a wonderful place full of friendly people....Never knew it had a bunch of fucktards who have a problem with art......
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #38
Johninja
n00b

When you're in Texas look behind you, 'cause that's where the rangers gonna be.

Last edited by Johninja : 05-14-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Johninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #39
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Interesting considering the amount of top universities in Texas. University of Texas is one of the top public schools in America and within the next decade or two should be on par with historical ivy league schools.

Due to public regulations with full disclosure, public schools will never be on par with their private counterparts.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #40
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm glad you brought up the subject of what gets taught. Texas is just one of those states that stands head shoulders above other states where their educational board, time and time again, goes off the deep end. What gets taught is extremely important.

It's the complete misrepresentation of something, like the example of the A bombs being dropped on Japan during WW2, that are inexcusable in any state. And it's really worrisome that Texas (the Board of Education) seems to be leading that charge.

Again, I think a lot of states do it and it's based on what "agenda the particular state or teacher has" more than anything else. We are beyond winners make up the rules for history in this country now. Now it's the agenda you side with gets to teach the history.

As a fan of history, the rhetoric on both sides makes me sick to my stomach. In the example of the ABomb, we have a situation where both sides of Truman's decision could be told and there could be a terrific discussion of cost/benefit of such a major decision. Instead my niece has been taught nothing more than "Truman screwed the pooch"

FWIW: She's not in a liberal state and I haven't read her textbook. I just know that's what she was taught and my guess it was by a teachers belief more than a states demand.

Last thing: I'm guessing we could pt that statue of David up in just about any part of America and that some people would flip out. People seem to be more frightened about a booby on regular TV more than watching maggots eat the face off of a corpse. It's always been ridiculous to me.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #41
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Due to public regulations with full disclosure, public schools will never be on par with their private counterparts.

Texas has an insane amount of money being used to recruit professors, faculty and top students (although they have this weird thing about you pledging to stay in Texas after graduation.) I know Harvard and Co. have old money but Texas endowment is right up there with them and only getting bigger.

Note: I am talking about University of Texas but the other schools there are quality as well.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #42
MrBug708
Head Coach

That won't matter. As long as you have private schools disclosing only 70% of the relevant material, they will never be on par, rankings wise
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #43
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:

There was an old Simpsons episode where Marge starts campaigning for things for the public good (no violence on TV, etc) and the group ends up protesting the statue of David which is in town on a museum tour. That's when she realizes the group's gone too far.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #44
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Texas has an insane amount of money being used to recruit professors, faculty and top students (although they have this weird thing about you pledging to stay in Texas after graduation.) I know Harvard and Co. have old money but Texas endowment is right up there with them and only getting bigger.

Note: I am talking about University of Texas but the other schools there are quality as well.

You don't pledge to stay in Texas. If you finish in the, I think the top 10% of your class, you are automatically accepted to any in-state school.

The money and backing with public universities is in the post-graduate programs and all that comes out of that.

Last edited by Galaxy : 05-14-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #45
Easy Mac

Of all the directions I could have anticipated this thread going, discussions of the Texas educational system was about #43.