Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

High speed internet with Direct TV

I apologize in advance, because I am sure this has been covered here but am to busy to search around.

Basically we are likely switching to Direct TV. We currently have comcast bundled with high speed internet. I know we have a number of Direct TV people here, what do you all do for internet.

I guess some of the solutions may be based on where you live, just curious to hear others thoughts. We are also considering dropping our land line.

Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

NO.

GOD NO.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I believe DirecTV offers something but the service is shoddy. Frankly, I would stick with Comcast on internet and just pay the premium. I know it's not ideal, but unless you have FIOS available, there aren't many quality providers out there.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Ksyrup

To explain - satellite internet is only for people who have no other possible internet connection other than dial-up. It is horrible. I suffered with it for 15-18 months or so in the early 2000s when we moved into a brand new area and i couldn't get anything but 28.8. It cost a ton of money to install (we were in Tallahassee, and the closest installer was 3 hours away, so we paid a premium) and the dish is huge and a lot more sensitive to placement, so it ended up in the middle of our backyard on a big pole.

Worst part is they had a "fair use" policy, so if you went over your limit in a certain period of time, your connection slowed to a crawl until the next day. And it was extremely sensitive to weather, much more so than TV. It was basically our in-house weather station - we knew when rain was coming by our lack of internet service.

When they finally brought wired service to our area, I ran. Fast. Even considering how much I paid for it to be installed, I still wanted to get away from it as quickly as possible.

So like I said...NO!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
markprior22
High School Varsity

I was talking to a Direct TV sales guy at Sams Club a few weeks ago and one of the things I brought up was that my internet cost from Comcast would go up significantly if I didn't bundle it. He said they take that into consideration and would offset that cost if I signed up. I'm too scared to get tied into a contract (plus I think all the carriers have issues...I'll just stick with what I've got) so I didn't pursue it but it might be something for you to ask. Maybe they'll go for it if it is the difference in making a sale.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Yeah. What Ksyrup said.

Your comcast internet cost will jump when you "un-bundle" but, at least to me, as long as it's $50/mo or less, I'm willing to pay to have fast, reliable HSI.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-21-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
Ksyrup

Maybe things have changed since I had it and it's better now, but I doubt it. I'd pay a bunch of money for regular internet service before I went with satellite.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Old 07-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
Ksyrup

If I had satellite internet, I'd be a High School JV at best.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-21-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
bhlloy
Coordinator

I just made the mistake of going back with AT&T regular Uverse for internet after a bad experience with their DSL two years ago in the same area - and it stinks (between the hours of 7-10 I'm lucky if the connection is up half the time). I'm probably going to cancel the contract shortly and just go with cable internet even though it's double the price. Like Sun says, I'm willing to pay for something that is reliable. For the amount I use it $50 a month is nothing.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
DirecTV also partners with some local ISPs, so it might not be that he'd be getting his internet connection via satellite. But if it is via the dish, then yeah, steer clear of that.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
lungs
Pro Rookie

Say no to satellite internet. I lived with it for a few years and it sucks. I've got wireless internet now. While it's not the fastest, it's miles ahead of satellite.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Maybe things have changed since I had it and it's better now, but I doubt it. I'd pay a bunch of money for regular internet service before I went with satellite.

The problem is that there is not much that can change for satellite technology. The biggest issue is the amount of distance between you and the satellite that provides your internet service. The last time I looked it up, I believe all internet satellite providers use geostationary orbits that are close to 20,000 miles away. That is something like 3 times the distance of the U.S to India for an example.

So no matter how much bandwidth you get, you will always have a large latency (meaning the amount of time it takes for the data to get to you). Now that isn't the worst thing in the world for web pages for instance, but if you want to do any internet video or audio, or play latency sensitive online games, you might end up being very frustrated.

Due to technology issues, many satellite companies realized that they just couldn't compete with High speed internet, so now they often will partner with local providers to give you internet at a discount rate. What type you get really depends on your area though to what is offered. Many times the satellite companies will partner with local DSL providers, or local telcos. It is very unlikely that you will get internet service comparable to a Verizon FIOS or ATT Uverse, or even Comcast HSI though from it. It does not hurt to look into what your options are through the dish company though.

In the end, if you really value quality internet, you'll likely want to pay the extra premium to stick with Comcast HSI I am guessing. If the internet quality is not a huge dealbreaker, you might end up with some kind of other local option via the DISH company partnerships (if any are available in your area)

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
cougarfreak
College Starter

Hey, I can give you my DTV account number. We both get $100....
Old 07-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

FWIW I have no intention of getting satalite internet. It would likely be keep comcast or another yet to be determined option
Old 07-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #16
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post

Is that true?
Old 07-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #17
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
FWIW I have no intention of getting satalite internet. It would likely be keep comcast or another yet to be determined option

I have DTV, and Insight internet. I've had both, and have also had "high speed" through Cincinnati Bell. Nothing is even close to cable internet.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #18
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Is that true?

Yep.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #19
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post

Can anyone guess which one is Saldana?
Old 07-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #20
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I have D-tv, and my internet is through a local ISP provider, it comes out that I'm paying a little more than a bundle through cox, but I hated dealing with cox and have always loved D-tv.

And yeah it's true if you use cougarfreak's number y'all both get $100 off y'alls bill.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #21
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Is it still possible to get this $100 discount? How do I go about doing so?!
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #22
Ksyrup

Anyone with a DTV account number gives you their number, you give it to DTV, and you both get $100 off.

PM me if you need my account number.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-05-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #23
BigDPW
College Prospect

Anyone tried Clearwire or competitors? I am on the edge of a Clear tower and have thought about it because the only option I have is ATT DSL at only ~700K. No cable on our road but I would definitely go with cable internet if I had the choice.

I too will give you my DTV account number if you wish!

Last edited by BigDPW : 08-05-2011 at 12:56 PM.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #24
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
Anyone tried Clearwire or competitors? I am on the edge of a Clear tower and have thought about it because the only option I have is ATT DSL at only ~700K. No cable on our road but I would definitely go with cable internet if I had the choice.

I too will give you my DTV account number if you wish!

Depends on what type of internet user you are. Clearwire is known to heavily throttle bandwidth for high volume users (like 99.99% of torrent users get throttled and actually a decently high number of people who just play alot of online games end up getting throttled too).

Most of the reports I have read about clearwire is that they have pretty sound infrastructure, but they use a heavy hammer to keep it solid (so they don't get a billion people with reports of high latency or poor performance). So the "power users" get hammered. If you do more with your internet than just generic web surfing/etc, you likely want to look at other solutions.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #25
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Give me your PlayStation Network username and password and I'll give you $100.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #26
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Give me your PlayStation Network username and password and I'll give you $100.

I thought you already had that since it was posted publicly a few months ago???
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote