Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Act Two (Upgraded to Tropical Storm Katia)

Following a similar track to Irene, but a bit north. Supposed to be a Cat2 before it even gets on North American and the Carribean's radar. This sucker needs to turn northward and out to sea.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I thought it was going to be the K name (Katia)?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Is it 2012 already?
Just double-checked. Lee is on the 2011 list.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I thought it was going to be the K name (Katia)?
I'm assuming since it's TD12 now, it gets the 12th name. Is that not how it works?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I'm assuming since it's TD12 now, it gets the 12th name. Is that not how it works?

Don't think it is, no. They only give names to storms that reach a certain point. You can have a tropical depression that never reaches "named storm" status. You might have 12 of those and only, say, six named storms. So you end up with the last one being in the 'F' band.

Just as an example.

If you look at Irene, it's only the 9th named storm of the year, despite 11 tropical depressions up to this point.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Ksyrup

I don't know - the local weather guy said TD12, soon to be Katia. Maybe he messed up. I know we have the J name out there, but I haven't heard Katia named yet.

Oh, and I don't think that's how it works - You can have a bunch of TDs, but if they don't progress to TS/Hurricane, the next name in line is used regardless of how many TDs we've had. I'm pretty sure that's the case.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
Ksyrup

Or, what SackAttack said.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Don't think it is, no. They only give names to storms that reach a certain point. You can have a tropical depression that never reaches "named storm" status. You might have 12 of those and only, say, six named storms. So you end up with the last one being in the 'F' band.

Just as an example.

If you look at Irene, it's only the 9th named storm of the year, despite 11 tropical depressions up to this point.
Well, at least one of those 11 was after Irene. But Jose is pretty much dead in the water. Has there been another? (I have no idea. Given where I live, I pretty much only pay attention to the ones coming off the African coast.)
Old 08-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
Ben E Lou

Found a news source saying Katia. *shurg*
Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Well, at least one of those 11 was after Irene. But Jose is pretty much dead in the water. Has there been another? (I have no idea. Given where I live, I pretty much only pay attention to the ones coming off the African coast.)

If there was a named storm after Irene, then, yes, the name for this storm would be in the K band, if it reaches named status.

Still illustrates my point though - 12th tropical depression, but this would be just the 11th named storm.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, it was sad little Jose that was just floating around in the Atlantic by Bermuda. He barely made it to tropical storm strength before dying back out

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-29-2011 at 10:44 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #13
Ben E Lou

Now expected to be a Cat3 before it gets to the vicinity of Puerto Rico. Yowza.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Not only a similar name but this thing has Katrina potential in terms of strength. Hopefully it drifts north and stays out to sea.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Not only a similar name but this thing has Katrina potential in terms of strength. Hopefully it drifts north and stays out to sea.
It's Katrina's replacement.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #16
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Anyone know where the Bermuda-Azore high is currently stationed? That's the one that usually steers these puppies. I'm assuming for Irene it was stationed a little too far west.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #17
Ironhead
College Prospect

Current tracking models are projecting the hurricane to eventually turn and go out to sea.

Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #18
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Current tracking models are projecting the hurricane to eventually turn and go out to sea.

That's a great thing. This coud be an extremely deadly one if it were to hit. People who are complaining that everyone cried wolf may not take the needed precautions if this one hit so soon after Irene causing needless deaths.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, a cat 3+ in the same places that Irene hit as a cat 1 would be devastating

SI

Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #20
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Kinda sucks if you live in Bermuda, though. Looks like a direct hit there.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:14 AM   #21
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

Or, more likely, planning to visit. We did that back in 1989 a few weeks after a major storm and the island was in a shambles. Trees and leaves all over the place. My wife slid out on a frond while riding the iconic moped and twisted her ankle. Not much fun and she still complains about it.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:36 AM   #22
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Following a similar track to Irene, but a bit north. Supposed to be a Cat2 before it even gets on North American and the Carribean's radar. This sucker needs to turn northward and out to sea.

+1000
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:02 AM   #23
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
Or, more likely, planning to visit.

I'm going to assume that didn't come out quite right.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #24
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Every update keeps bringing Katia closer to US without showing a turn to the East. Another hurricane in the northeast would be a disaster.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #25
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

that doesn't look very promising
Old 09-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #26
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, hopefully it goes somewhere between those projections. The one from the first post shows it easily going to 70w, whereas the other model has it several degrees east of that at the same latitutude.

Last edited by stevew : 09-03-2011 at 01:49 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #27
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I've read the most recent discussion put out by the NHC at 4 this afternoon and that was about the biggest collective shrug I've ever seen from them. They don't have a real good handle on this storm right now. They think the track over the next 36 hours is good, but anything after that is hard to work out. Apparently there's a lot hinging on TS Lee and how it tangles itself up with the low that's dragging it inland (for now--Lee may stall out somewhere over the Mississippi/Tennesee/Ohio valleys). Similarly the storm hasn't strengthened like they were expecting, so they can't nail down intensity forecasts reliably, either.

Based on what I'm seeing, the track should (I repeat, should) eventually curve back out into the Atlantic based on prior history of storms with similar tracks. Usually if the storm rolls off north of the Carribean and Bahamas, it's a good bet the storm will be pushed back out to sea by the prevailing westerlies at the mid-latitudes before it threatens land.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #28
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
I've read the most recent discussion put out by the NHC at 4 this afternoon and that was about the biggest collective shrug I've ever seen from them. They don't have a real good handle on this storm right now. They think the track over the next 36 hours is good, but anything after that is hard to work out. Apparently there's a lot hinging on TS Lee and how it tangles itself up with the low that's dragging it inland (for now--Lee may stall out somewhere over the Mississippi/Tennesee/Ohio valleys). Similarly the storm hasn't strengthened like they were expecting, so they can't nail down intensity forecasts reliably, either.

Based on what I'm seeing, the track should (I repeat, should) eventually curve back out into the Atlantic based on prior history of storms with similar tracks. Usually if the storm rolls off north of the Carribean and Bahamas, it's a good bet the storm will be pushed back out to sea by the prevailing westerlies at the mid-latitudes before it threatens land.

While no an expert by any stretch of the imagination I feel relatively comfortable that this one won't hit just based on its position and current track. Storms that far north at that point get pulled out to sea and at most give the coast some good waves and some spin off rain.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #29
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Looking at all of the models, they almost all have them going back out to sea

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical...112_model.html
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical..._ensmodel.html

SI

Old 09-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #30
Suicane75
Coordinator

Dear god please let it go out to see. I just can't deal with another round of storms at that level nor the unpreparedness that it seems the municipalities up here have in dealing with them.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #31
SackAttack
Head Coach

CNN's saying Cat4 at the moment, but the track has it headed back out to sea (and the image at the top of the page seems to agree with that).
Old 09-06-2011, 01:31 AM   #32
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Act 3 not far behind, another healthy wave in the Atlantic, Maria is next.

Keep and eye out in the Gulf of Mexico, activity could be brewing there.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #33
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/tatl/flash-wv.html