Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Android Tablets Question: Xoom vs. Galaxy Tab 10.1?

So I'm looking at a tablet. Think I want to avoid the iPad2 (no Flash, don't like the Apple closed-ecosystem).

Looking for a 3g/4g capable tablet since it'll be for work and so I'll want/need that extra connectivity (rather than just wifi).

I understand that limits my choices significantly - down to the Xoom or the newer Galaxy Tab (10.1).

Leaning towards the Xoom for the miniSD slot (to expand the memory) I think. HDMI-out is also a nice plus. I looked at some comparisons of the two, and from what I recall those were the things that pushed me in that direction. Also like the Motorola-Google connection. Not overly concerned about the weight difference between the two I don't believe.

Will probably try to play with them tonight to make sure the weight difference is really no big deal.

Any thoughts on either of the two of them?

Also - I know tablets can't really replace notebooks for serious business-apps, but am I right in presuming that I'll find MS Office apps equally easy/a pain to use on Android tabs vs. an iPad?

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

First off, you can probably save money if you are willing to use the 3g/4g tethering ability of your phone.

Unless you really need this asap, or money isn't a big deal to you, I'd wait and see what kind of effect the Fire has on tablet pricing. We've already seen several tablets drop by a couple hundred(HTC Flyer, Blackberry Playbook). HTC supposedly has a 10.1 coming out(or is already out).

The Samsung Galaxy tab is really nice, but so is the Xoom. One thing I'd try to avoid is having a monthly contract on it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - I could use the tethering ability of my phone I suppose. But I'd end up paying for that tethering plan anyways, right?

I don't NEED it ASAP, and had been thinking about waiting a bit anyways, to see what effect Amazon has, and whether anything comes out for the holidays. Money isn't necessarily a huge deal - it'll go on the expense report to get paid back by work.

I do <3 HTC though. Any word on a release date that you've heard?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-12-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Galaril
Pro Starter

I recently got a 10.1 Galaxy from work to test out the capabilities from a work performance app perspective and also what security on it looks like. I like the Tab and the Verizon LGTE 4G network is fast. I am not sure if the zoom is also on the Verizon network so that could be a factor. The battery life on it is really good too.

Last edited by Galaril : 10-12-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Cool - how are you finding work performance apps?