Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #351
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
And Rodgers would have broken many of those had Rodgers thrown 150 more times this season. The most impressive thing about Rodgers numbers is on how few passes he did it with.

That's not necessarily true, like I pointed out before a lot of those attempts are due to the type offense we run. I didn't watch GB as close as I did the Saints, so I may be off base but I'd bet that a large portion of those 150 extra passes were short passes to RB/FBs, I don't remember seeing GB run that play very often.

(This takes it to the extreme, but points out the flaw in the logic, I'm saying throw deep on every play, but what if instead of throwing the short pass an extra 100 times, he throws 50 intermediate routes, the yardages/tds would stay the same- but the completion % and attempts would go down, the YPA,YPC would go up slightly)
Brees' yardage/tds could've come on fewer passes if we just threw it deep on every play hoping to complete 1 out of 3 (and converting the down), the yardage/tds stay the same but the completion % drops. That's not how we run the offense- I'm going to pull these stats from ESPN just to show what I mean.

Leading RB/FB targets for GB- James Starks, 37. Ryan Grant, 24.
Leading RB/FB targets for NO- Sproles, 111. Thomas, 56

We just run more plays in general because of our style of offense (led the league with 1,117), 129 more than GB over the season.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #352
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
They fire Jackson?

Hehe! Nope, they didn't make the playoffs...again. They were headed there until someone decided to shoot a gun in Alabama.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #353
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
That's not necessarily true, like I pointed out before a lot of those attempts are due to the type offense we run.

Its sort of easy to figure out. Yards per attempt for Rodgers X Brees pass attempts. It is pretty clear evidence that if Rodgers threw 150 more passes this past year that he would had more yardage.

You are talking about something that is unimportant to the topic as Aaron Rodgers doesnt play for the Saints so why would what the Saints do on offense have anything to do with Rodgers?

Are you saying the Brees stats are inflated by all of these simple check down passes to Sproles because they run an unconventional offense or what?

I guess I am unclear as to why you feel Rodgers might not have broken the record with 150 more pass attempts because of the short passes the Saints throw.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-03-2012 at 05:31 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #354
Arles
Grey Dog Software

After watching the Packers all season, they just seemed more focused on getting the win and moving on to the next week. GB averaged 8.2 (#1), 9.6 (#3), 9.4 (#1) and 7.8 points per quarter. They outscored opponents 27.3-14 through 3 quarters, but were outscored 7.8-8.1 in the 4th. They took their foot off the gas to end games a lot and ran the ball a lot more than normal in the 4th.

New Orleans tended to play more like a college team as they were 6.2 in the first quarter but 9.6 (#2) in the 4th. Even with big leads, they kept piling it on and still passing. Again, that's not saying what New Orleans did was wrong, but GB could have scored a lot more points in the 4th had they made passing records a higher priority than simply running out the clock and winning.