Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Laptop Screen Question

Okay so I finally broke down and bought a laptop at the end of last year and somehow my screen cracked the other day. Now on the surface nothing looks cracked but the screen on the inside is cracked and thus unusable. My question is how hard would it be for me to replace the screen? I am not a technically proficient person but I gotta believe it cannot be that hard. I hate to have to replace my laptop which unfortunately is now outside of the 90 day replacement window and the screen is not covered. Thoughts?

cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd say pretty easy tbh. I did the one on my wife's laptop. It probably depends on your laptop. You need a small screwdriver and some uninterrupted time on your hands. I think you can probably do it for around 100. If by some chance it is too difficult, buying the part and probably less than 100 to one of those pc shops will get it done. Also check YouTube for repair vids.

Last edited by stevew : 02-01-2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Clarify
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Depends on your skill level with taking electronics apart. I believe I bought my last one from Laptop Screens and was very happy with the price and the product.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I think the screen for my laptop is about $50 so I guess I figure what the heck. My question is how do I find out the backlight and other specifics regarding my screen?
Old 02-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

You're gonna want to make sure you know whether you are ordering a glossy or a matte finish screen. Otherwise, most of the sites will put you with what you need.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Glossy or Matte means the exterior look correct? Does the screen actually come with instructions? Sorry for all of the questions I really appreciate it. If you guys need any mortgage help let me know.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. If it is mirrored, that's glossy. as far as tutorials, that's iffy. You'll want a plastic pry tool. And a small magnetic screwdriver. YouTube has some great tutorials. If you can't find your exact model, you can usually find one in the same series. If its apple, pay the man. Mine had 4 screws that came out, and I had to gently pop open the screen casing There is usually a ribbon and a place to hook up the power. There is also not usually much room to work.

Last edited by stevew : 02-01-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

That site I posted will list the ones for your pc, just make sure to get right resolution. You'll need a small set of jeweler type screwdriver/flat blade set.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I replaced the screen on my netbook with one purchased from Laptop Screens and it went smoothly. Everything everyone else has already suggested is bang on.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Okay so I finally broke down and bought a laptop at the end of last year and somehow my screen cracked the other day. Now on the surface nothing looks cracked but the screen on the inside is cracked and thus unusable. My question is how hard would it be for me to replace the screen? I am not a technically proficient person but I gotta believe it cannot be that hard. I hate to have to replace my laptop which unfortunately is now outside of the 90 day replacement window and the screen is not covered. Thoughts?

Did you break the screen by getting mad because the Cubs are already mathematically eliminated?
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote