Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
cougarfreak
College Starter

Connecting a wireless router to a wireless router

I know I'm pretty dumb compared to some techies on here. I have two wireless routers. Is there anyway to configure one to run off of the other one (with no wires, via wireless), and then hardwire a ps3 to the connected one for a better connection that what I'm getting via the original wireless router?

cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Easy Mac

Yes, google the model number for use as a wireless bridge/adapter/repeater.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
cougarfreak
College Starter

I have a belkin n600 as my new router, and an old belkin n150 as the one the cable company left me, does it matter which one I use for which? I know it's goofy, but believe it or not, when connecting my ps3 wirelessly with the older router, mlb tv runs smooth as silk. When connecting with the newer one, it won't run hardly at all, even thought I get connection speeds on the ps3 test higher than 15mb.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
cougarfreak
College Starter

I should mention that the ps3 reads the router strength as 100% as well.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Not sure you can do router to router, one of them need to be able to support bridge/repeater/client/etc mode, name depends on the model. Most routers don't.

Last edited by jeff061 : 02-20-2012 at 03:21 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

But yeah, do what Mac sad.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I gave up on trying to do this. If you actually figure it out, lemme know.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I have it working in my apartment, devices near my TV plug into a switch, switch plugs into wireless access point, access point is bridged to wireless router in my office. Works great, I'm able to wirelessly stream very high quality movies without actually having to worry about configuring wireless on any devices near my TV(they just plug into the switch).

But when I bought the access point I made sure it supported that ahead of time. Got a DAP-2553 at more than I wanted to spend, but it works great and I haven't had to touch it since initial setup, which is all I wanted.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
flounder
High School Varsity

I got it working, but I had to use custom firmware to do it. I have a Linksys router, though. I don't know if there is an equivalent for Belkin.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
cougarfreak
College Starter

Eh, I give up. I fucked something up and had to do a complete reset of my network. I hate this shit. It sounds like what Jeff did is exactly what I want to do.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know something like this works flawlessly, but it's also kind of expensive.

Amazon.com: Netgear Powerline AV+ 200 Adapter Kit (XAV1501): Electronics
Old 02-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #12
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

What you are wanting to do is called a wireless bridge or repeater

Most of the "cheap" consumer brand routers do not support it out of the box. However many of them will support a wireless bridge when you choose to install custom firmware. DD-WRT and Tomato are probably the two most popular custom firmwares that are out there for a large number of today's consumer wireless products.

Installing a custom firmware on a router in some cases is very simple and in other cases could be very risky/dangerous depending on what type of router you have. Not necessarily something that I would recommend for a beginner to try if they are not familiar with doing that type of thing on electronics.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #13
cougarfreak
College Starter

Oh well, still haven't figured this one out. Maybe the MLB offseason videos don't run as smooth, I'm not sure. I did go out and buy one of those Netgear powerlines, and still had issues, even though it was hardwired. Picture looks great, with either wireless, or hardwire, but it freezes quite a bit. If I hook up my roku to that TV, the picture isn't as good, but it doesn't freeze up. I can't figure it out.........netflix works fine, as does Vudu, Hulu, and Amazon on demand video. But MLB doesn't look near as good.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
wade moore
lolzcat

Color me stupid, but why would this help performance? You're still getting access to your broadband via wireless. It's not like you get wireless speed into wireless router #2, plug in a network cable, and it magically becomes hardwire speed.

The only reason I can see doing this is what someone mentioned above about not having to "configure wireless" devices. By my understanding of networking, you will not have any speed advantages unless the PS3 wireless is just that crappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

PS3 wireless does tend to really suck.

Last edited by stevew : 02-21-2012 at 07:05 PM.