Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Which house pet do you prefer ?
Dogs 62 55.86%
Cats 39 35.14%
Fish 2 1.80%
Other 3 2.70%
None 5 4.50%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
DougW
High School Varsity

House pets ..

Which do you prefer ? Why ?

DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Dog. They seem to care.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Dogs. I grew up around dogs for one. I dont dislike cats, but Blue said, the human-dog relationship is just awesome. They are more needy,yes, but it is worth it.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

cats rule!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Right now...I don't know...my cats are being needy...like way needy to the point I am thinking they are small dogs. It's annoying, but for me, right now it is cats because of up keep.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Cats for sure.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Dogs. I grew up around dogs for one. I dont dislike cats, but Blue said, the human-dog relationship is just awesome. They are more needy,yes, but it is worth it.

this
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I like dogs. Cats just seem... dirty. They can get on anything and everything, they shit in a box, they smear their faces up and down on stuff, some of them 'spray'... yuck.

That said, they are really cute, and I like playing with them when I visit people that have them. I just wouldn't want to actually have one living in my house, I don't think.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We have parakeets- they're pleasant, fun to watch fly, low maintenance, and I'm not allergic to them.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Two chicks at the same time

I may have misread the question.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
Autumn
Head Coach

Cats. They know where to poop, and they take care of their own business.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
Super Ugly
High School JV

Dogs. When my girlfriend and I moved in together, her cat came along too. Scratchy little fellow.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I like both dogs and cats equally.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #14
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I like dogs, only as it gives me please to see miserable people walking their dogs at 6 am in the rain or snow while im going to work. Yes I am a hater!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
General Mike
Pro Starter

Always have had dogs, always liked dogs better. They are more work, but they are more affectionate too.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #16
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Actually prefer having both at the same time. Dog and a cat together provide companionship for each other while you still get the benefits of both animals.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

We have dogs and cats and love them equally.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 04-29-2012 at 03:57 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

dogs require work. cats are just animated furniture.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #19
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Cats, quiet and clean, fun in pairs.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #20
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Two chicks at the same time

I may have misread the question.

I'm sure we can get you a couple of hens, or roosters.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #21
molson
General Manager

I grew with up dogs so this is easy one. They're a little more work, but that's exactly why I like them more than cats. I mean if we go further down the list, pet rocks are no maintenance at all, but they're not much of a pet. And I like my 6 AM walks with the dog (and my afternoon walks, and my evening walks, and the trips to the dog park...shit, he is high maintenance).....The biggest downside is feeling guilty when I leave town or even when spend all day and/or out of the house, but, that kind of ties into why I like dogs more too.....If I had a cat and didn't give a shit about leaving him alone for a while, then he's not much of a pet. Might as well get a goldfish.

I lived with a cat once for two months while renting a house in Alaska, and that cat was awesome, but really, only because he acted like a dog. He liked me, wanted to hang out, was happy when I got home. And I felt guilty leaving him alone for too long, so he became higher maintenance just because we liked each other.

Last edited by molson : 04-29-2012 at 05:05 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #22
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I lived with a cat once for two months while renting a house in Alaska, and that cat was awesome, but really, only because he acted like a dog. He liked me, wanted to hang out, was happy when I got home. And I felt guilty leaving him alone for too long, so he became higher maintenance just because we liked each other.

I think this is what is happening with m 2 cats, they just want to chill and be in the same room with me. But one is a noisy sucker and wants a ton of attention.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #23
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Cats, although I have to admit Cody my Golden Retriever is bloody awesome .... never had a dog before (although my wife has had several they've been small annoying things) so this is a first for me ....

Weird thing is he 'thinks' he's a cat/lap dog and loves curling up on my lap which is kinda neat, I also love the way he sits with me in my office when I work and also swims laps with me in the pool - basically he's just blooming awesome.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 04-29-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #24
Edward64
Head Coach

Dogs. Unconditional love whereas Cats are too finicky.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #25
RendeR
Coordinator

Cats give what they receive. If you give them love and affection they will return it in spades.

Dogs are just morons. Weak willed submissive morons.

Yes I have a dog. he's the lowest peg on the family pack rank. Even the cats beat his ass regularly. Hell even Macroguru's cats scare the shit out of him.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #26
QuikSand
lolzcat

“Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.”

― Christopher Hitchens, The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #27
Autumn
Head Coach

It drives me crazy when friends or family can't stay away from their house for longer than like three hours because they have a dog back at home*. Having a dog is like having a two year old, but forever.

*this is exaggerated for comic benefit. In some cases.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #28
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Dogs easily. As was mentioned earlier in thread, nothing beats the human/dog bond when it comes to pets. Cats could care less about their owners.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #29
Izulde
Head Coach

This is assuming I would have both the finances and the time to take care of a pet, so I said dogs.

Right now I have neither, so it'd be none.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #30
BYU 14
Coordinator

This says it all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dogs vs Cats.jpg (93.8 KB, 107 views)
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:05 AM   #31
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Dogs easily. As was mentioned earlier in thread, nothing beats the human/dog bond when it comes to pets. Cats could care less about their owners.

Thats not true - Cats often respond to stress in their owners and attempt to help or show concern.

For instance I remember when my wife was pregnant with our first son, she walked up and down the street to encourage labour the night he was born and our cat paced up and down with her ...

PS - The reason I prefer cats is simply that (in general) they're more 'human' - more independent, less forgiving than dogs.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #32
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Cats give what they receive. If you give them love and affection they will return it in spades.

I think you mean "spayeds."
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #33
Rizon
Pro Starter

Dogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #34
Logan
Head Coach

This has been, and will continue to be, a fight between me and my fiancee.

I grew up without pets, but liked dogs when I was around them. She grew up in a cat family (as many as three at one point) and they also had (and have) a dog that they added later on. The dog was borderline neglected compared to the love they gave their cats.

I would probably like to have a dog down the road once we're out of NYC and in the suburbs, but am no way attached to the idea. To me, the fun to play with aspect outweighs the additional work. She absolutely, positively requires a cat. She'd probably be fine with a dog at some point. She wants a cat now, or at least soon, and my point is that, just like with a dog, we need to wait until we're out of an apartment because while I'm not exactly a fan of cats, one thing I can't stand is the litter box smell I've experienced with some. In no way do I want to have that in our relatively small apartment.

My stance is that she's going to win this one because we will end up with a cat or two permanently for the next 50 years, so I need to win the timing aspect of it. Working in my favor is that two of our best friends, along with my future sister and brother in law (who we're extremely close with) are all very allergic.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #35
Danny
Head Coach

I voted none because I have no interest in having pets personally. But I do like both dogs and cats. I had both growing up and I enjoy seeing them in other people's homes.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #36
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Dogs.

Ha. I think that hits on another big thing that cuts into pet preference. I brought my dog to the Oregon coast for a weekend a while ago, and while I don't know if he was emotionally moved by the rocky coasts, he definitely thought the beaches and forests and long car rides and cabin on the ocean were awesome. I get that some people aren't looking to be travel buddies with their pets, but I think that speaks to the differing relationships people have with dogs v. cats.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #37
RendeR
Coordinator

I would absoultey LOVE to take my Dog with me everywhere I go. he's really a great animal, loving and VERY child and people friendly.

However he pukes after 5 minutes in a car. ANY car. he simply cannot travel. its horrible.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #38
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
She wants a cat now, or at least soon, and my point is that, just like with a dog, we need to wait until we're out of an apartment because while I'm not exactly a fan of cats, one thing I can't stand is the litter box smell I've experienced with some. In no way do I want to have that in our relatively small apartment.

If you use the right litter and scoop it at least once a day you shouldn't get that smell. I use Feline Pine which does not have that "litter" smell. I don't even mean the used litter smell, but what it smells like when it is fresh.

I know my house smells like it sometimes, and probably more than I realize because I'm used to it, but I also don't scoop daily. I think if you are diligent it isn't a problem. Personally, I hate the litter smell (as referenced above) as much as the smell of what the cats have done in it.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #39
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Old 04-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #40
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dogs in a nutshell, but I take it none of you guys have had "emo" dogs? My uncle's family has a newfoundland - my god, maybe its because they're 160-180 lbs, but our running joke is that the dog is "emo", and will rarely deign to acknowledge your presence unless feeding him. Awesome though.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #41
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
If you use the right litter and scoop it at least once a day you shouldn't get that smell. I use Feline Pine which does not have that "litter" smell. I don't even mean the used litter smell, but what it smells like when it is fresh.

I know my house smells like it sometimes, and probably more than I realize because I'm used to it, but I also don't scoop daily. I think if you are diligent it isn't a problem. Personally, I hate the litter smell (as referenced above) as much as the smell of what the cats have done in it.

Feline Pine is awesome, completely agree with you there! It all depends on how well someone maintains the cat litter as to how it smells.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #42
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Also, if you think dogs don't make your house smell, you are mistaken. I know the discussion is specifically about litter, but I think just the presence of both cats and dogs, even if they do their business outside, adds a smell.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #43
Thomkal
Head Coach

I've got someone here who is very "smell-sensitive" and so we've had to experiment with litter. We finally settled on Arm and Hammer's Multi Cat litter-the unscented variety. She is amazed that she can't smell the litter when its right next to her. Then of course the cat comes over and uses it so its not good for a couple minutes but then the smell goes away.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #44
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

love both, Cats much easier to deal with when space is an issue.