Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Shooting at a Funeral

Two killed, two wounded at Georgia funeral - CNN.com

just wow.
Think this is the first time ive heard of this.

CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oh man that version of the story is incredibly weak.

The funeral was for a 19 year old ex-con who was killed by a 28 y/o with a longer rap sheet of his own... except that the rest of the story is that the suspect there went after the teen because Ventress, 28, shot Guider, who died May 27, as retaliation Law enforcement sources told investigators that Guider “burglarized the home of Ventress, stealing jewelry, cash and drugs and punching Ventress’ mother,”

Today's funeral mayhem is still a bit confusing but apparently the suspect in the original shooting showed up at the funeral today and all hell broke loose

DeKalb Public Safety Director William Miller said police believe the man accused of killing Guider, Marcus D. Ventress, attended the funeral and ended up in the church's parking lot with a gun, fired several shots into the air and other people returned fire. Some witnesses said up to eight shots were fired.

... Investigators believe Ventress was involved with the altercation following the funeral, and initially believed he was among those shot. Miller later said detectives believe Ventress left the church with others in a vehicle. Police detained people traveling in a vehicle not far from the church, but could not confirm who was in the car.

Chaos, death after DeKalb funeral: ‘Oh God, they're shooting' *| ajc.com
Old 06-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
the man accused of killing Guider, Marcus D. Ventress, attended the funeral and ended up in the church's parking lot with a gun,

Hate to laugh, but this did it. Yes, the guy who killed him just happened to end up in the parking lot with a gun. Somehow I doubt he was as bewildered about the gun suddenly appearing in his hand as the writer of the story apparently was.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Hate to laugh, but this did it. Yes, the guy who killed him just happened to end up in the parking lot with a gun. Somehow I doubt he was as bewildered about the gun suddenly appearing in his hand as the writer of the story apparently was.

I hate to further derail the thread (well, that's a bit of a lie), but this is why I wouldn't be a good Gamemaster for a role playing game.

My players: "Give us a bizarre situation!"
Me: "Uh ... OK ... You're driving a moped on a beach past a sign that CLEARLY states NO MOTOR VEHICLES!"

I'd never come up with: "You suddenly realize you're in a church parking lot with a gun in your hand. The funeral of the guy you murdered a while ago is just concluding."
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

A few years back in DC someone was killed coming home from a funeral (getting on a bus?) with a similar back story. I could look it up, but I don't think it's quite as OK Corral as this story.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Per Google, that church is 3.9 miles from my old house in Tucker. Also...

Quote:
Police said Ventress also is accused of shooting into an apartment in the 5800 block of Treecrest Parkway, thinking Guider lived there.
I don't recall my address, but when I was South Dekalb Director for Young Life, I lived on Treecrest Pkwy. It ain't that long, so definitely very near where this shooting happened.

Livin' in da A-T-L.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 06-08-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Per Google, that church is 3.9 miles from my old house in Tucker. Also...

I don't recall my address, but when I was South Dekalb Director for Young Life, I lived on Treecrest Pkwy. It ain't that long, so definitely very near where this shooting happened.

Livin' in da A-T-L.

I was born near there, and my family doctor when I as a kid growing up was right there at Snapfinger Woods

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Two killed, two wounded at Georgia funeral - CNN.com

just wow.
Think this is the first time ive heard of this.

I remeber watching Colors and thinking there is no way even gangbangers would shoot up a funeral; I stand corrected.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
I remeber watching Colors and thinking there is no way even gangbangers would shoot up a funeral; I stand corrected.

That was the first thing I thought of when I read the original post. I was actually going to post a colors picture but you beat me to it.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I hate to further derail the thread (well, that's a bit of a lie), but this is why I wouldn't be a good Gamemaster for a role playing game.

My players: "Give us a bizarre situation!"
Me: "Uh ... OK ... You're driving a moped on a beach past a sign that CLEARLY states NO MOTOR VEHICLES!"

I'd never come up with: "You suddenly realize you're in a church parking lot with a gun in your hand. The funeral of the guy you murdered a while ago is just concluding."

You should play Fiasco. It would give you that bizarre situation and then everything just gets worse.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
kingfc22
Head Coach

Reminds me of the biker gang incidents in San Jose last year.

Hells Angels member gunned down at San Jose funeral - San Jose Mercury News
Old 06-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

So far, you people have missed the best part of the story for UIC wtf comedy. It's not so much that the gangsta showed up at the funeral of the guy he'd killed with a gun. No!

It's this.
Quote:
...and other people returned fire...
Yes, boys and girls. That means that some of the funeral attendees showed up with guns. THAT is what is cracking me up...

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 06-08-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

They were just prepared for zombies, man.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
Rizon
Pro Starter

Happens all the time here. It's news if da gangbangers DON'T shoot people up at dey funerals. Fereal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
JediKooter
Coordinator

Looks like business is good there at that cemetery.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #16
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Happens all the time here. It's news if da gangbangers DON'T shoot people up at dey funerals. Fereal.

In Soviet hood, funerals shoot back at you! /Yakov Doggy Dog

Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I was born near there, and my family doctor when I as a kid growing up was right there at Snapfinger Woods

I spent my first 12 years living in a tiny house on South Hairston. Of course, back then we were the poor people living around some pretty high-end neighborhoods. Now, the area is not so much high-end.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #18
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Heck, looking at it, this place is about a mile from the dairy where we used to buy milk (and THE best chocolate milk in the world). Could you imagine cow pastures there now?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #19
digamma
Torchbearer

I still can't believe that funeral raid in WoW got so little lamestream media attention.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Turns out the original shooter was nowhere in sight, just two funeral goers who got into an argument & shot each other (as well as a 12 y/o girl and another man, injuries not life-threatening)

Funeral shooting victims identified *| ajc.com
Old 06-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #21
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
It's this. Yes, boys and girls. That means that some of the funeral attendees showed up with guns. THAT is what is cracking me up...

Yep thats what Mrs. Tiger and I were laughing about.
Got my suit straight, my dark shades, black dress, veil,...wait hun grab my .40, you know just in case.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #22
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote