Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2006, 09:22 PM   #1
MJ4H
Coordinator

America's Got Talent

Anyone watching this? That juggler was pretty solid. Those tricks he was pulling were not easy. And the judges except for Brandy didn't think he was talented at all. Even the audience realized the guy had chops.

Brandy talked some sense into one of the judges and he got through, but his stay will probably be short.

Anyone see?

I like the show, but it is hard for judges to recognize talent in so many different areas. I think more than likely a singer or comedy act or something mainstream will win, but the most talented person in the competition will probably be doing something like juggling or who knows what else.

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
KWhit
Coordinator

Wow. I thought the show was a steaming pile.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
JW
College Prospect

I knew this wasn't about soccer when I read the subject line.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Wow. I thought the show was a steaming pile.

bah most television shows are steaming piles. doesnt mean we cant enjoy them!
Old 06-23-2006, 09:39 PM   #5
Schmidty
Coordinator

I like most reality shows, but the first episode I saw was a pile of crap. I won't be watching after this week's show.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:10 PM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The wife and I watched this tonight. I missed it when it played earlier. I wish I had missed it tonight. There were less than 5 acts that I thought had any true talent. I don't want to watch it again. Mrs. Eaglesfan loved it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:21 PM   #7
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
The wife and I watched this tonight. I missed it when it played earlier. I wish I had missed it tonight. There were less than 5 acts that I thought had any true talent. I don't want to watch it again. Mrs. Eaglesfan loved it.

Uh, what he said.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:37 PM   #8
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I don't want to watch it again. Mrs. Eaglesfan loved it.

Who gets the remote?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:39 AM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Heh. Well, I could just ask her to watch it while I play on the other TV upstairs. But, I'll watch it at least one more time with her, since she has given shows that I like but she doesn't several chances.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #10
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Wow - this is the first thread I could find (and bump) regarding America's Got Talent. Clearly there is no love in FOFC for AGT.

But for the minority that saw the finale last night, who do you think will win?

My choices are:
1. Team ILuminate - If you've never seen them, please youtube a video of their act. A combination of dance & technology is great. I've loved this act from the first time I saw them. I could easily see them setting up house in Vegas. I hope they win, but...

2. Landau Eugene Murphy Jr has got THE story of the season, and it is very hard not to root for this guy. I really wouldn't mind if he won, and if you talk about life-changing, his win would be the most impactful (from nothing to a big something). [But very similar to Michael Grimm who won last year, as far as compelling story goes]

3. Silhouettes - I'm 50/50 on their act. I don't like when they "recreate" buildings and then overlay a projection of the actual. I think the concept of the act is very unique. I'm just not sure I would pay to see an entire show of it. If they stuck with telling a story without the blatant audience pandering (in my humble opinion), it would be more enjoyable.

4. PopLyfe - They are a marginal band with an excellent lead singer. The Beatles song from a couple weeks ago, and even the Michael Jackson medley last week were very good. I had no problem with them cracking the Final 4. But I said last week that this is the one group that has absolutely no chance to win the grand prize. I could see any of the other three winning. And unfortunately, the occasion was too big for them last night. The Queen medley was brutal. A terrible showcase for the lead singer. A real shame that they didn't end on a high note. But I do have a feeling we will hear more from this band in the future.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:50 AM   #11
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

My wife and kids are very much into AGT this year. I did watch the final 4 with them last night.

I'll agree of the 4, Poplyfe is #4. I don't mind them, and for a group of 13-15 year old kids, they are good. But judged against ALL acts and ALL bands (not just AGT acts), I agree with you they are...meh. Average.

I have a hard time separating the other 3.
The best concept, hands down, is Silhouettes. The imagination to come up with that was great. I do agree that putting the photo's up over the silhouette gets annoying, but maybe it's necessary as people wouldn't always grasp what the image was to be.

The best show, Team ILuminate. Similar to the group of college kids who did the glow thing last season (can't remember the name right now). It screams Vegas show, in the same genre as Blue Man Group etc. I can see where people would go see that.

The best act, Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. I differentiate show and act. The show is the product you see on stage from set to set. The act, to me, encompasses everything, from the talent, personality, "story"...I guess the intangibles that heighten (or lessen) the show.
While I think Team ILuminate is a great show, same as I think Silhouettes is a very good show, I personally could see myself getting bored with those acts. After watching you dance with lights or create pictures with shadow, it gets repetitive. But a singer can keep my attention.

So for me, if given the choice of seeing all 4 in Vegas:

1) LEM Jr
2) Team ILuminate
3) Silhouettes

------------------
4) PopLyfe
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I can't watch that show. I think we watched the first season and it's just too much shlocky entertainment crap like the old Star Search show. And after seeing that sneak preview of X-Factor, I thought it looked way too much like AGT for me to want to watch it, too.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #13
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
So for me, if given the choice of seeing all 4 in Vegas:

1) LEM Jr
2) Team ILuminate
3) Silhouettes

------------------
4) PopLyfe
I like how you make a distinction between concept/show/act, and have absolutely no qualms at all with your order. If Landau wins, I would be thrilled!

(By the way, the name of the group from last year was Fighting Gravity, and they were my absolute favorite act from last season).
Old 09-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #14
Easy Mac

I'm just pissed it screwed up my DVR'ing of Parenthood. It ran about 10 minutes long, so the last 10 minutes of Parenthood got cut off. Were about 10 episodes behind, so we have to hope to catch up before the first episode is off the free hulu (NBC really polices bittorrent, not that I have first hand knowledge).
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #15
Ksyrup

I'm still confused about why technology hasn't advanced to the point where we can record shows, not time slots. With so much live TV, you'd think someone would make it a priority.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #16
Easy Mac

Wait, it took 2 hours for 4 acts to perform, and it still ran over 10 minutes?
Old 09-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #17
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Wait, it took 2 hours for 4 acts to perform, and it still ran over 10 minutes?
Surprisingly, it was only one hour last night. TWO hours tonight though!
Old 09-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #18
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm still confused about why technology hasn't advanced to the point where we can record shows, not time slots. With so much live TV, you'd think someone would make it a priority.
Well... my Tivo knows when a show I want to tape is live, and prompts me if I want to pad additional time in case it does run long (which I almost always do...). So while that takes care of my theoretical "live show", it doesn't help the person who was taping the show afterwards. Unless, as you suggest, they put something into the data stream to toggle show beginning and endings.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #19
MJ4H
Coordinator

Weird that I started this thread and got the name of the show wrong. I wonder if that's fixable. I'll try.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #20
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Well... my Tivo knows when a show I want to tape is live, and prompts me if I want to pad additional time in case it does run long (which I almost always do...). So while that takes care of my theoretical "live show", it doesn't help the person who was taping the show afterwards. Unless, as you suggest, they put something into the data stream to toggle show beginning and endings.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I can add time to a live event, which is fine, but if I'm recording a show after a live event, there should be some way for these devices to know that my 8-8:30 show is now going to run from 8:10 to 8:40 and adjust the recording accordingly.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #21
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I can add time to a live event, which is fine, but if I'm recording a show after a live event, there should be some way for these devices to know that my 8-8:30 show is now going to run from 8:10 to 8:40 and adjust the recording accordingly.
In thinking about this some more, that works if the subsequent show is shown in its entirety. But problems will arise if it is "joined in progress". In that case, the Beginning of Show flag would never be triggered.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #22
Ksyrup

Most of the time that's not the case, though. Everything just get's shifted, at least if it's a first run show coming on. It's been years since I've regularly watched broadcast TV, but I know on CBS, for instance, the Sunday night lineup was basically off by 30 minutes or more because of the NFL. I'm not sure if that's still an issue, but I do recall someone here at work who decided to stop watching the Amazing Race because football would always screw up the recording of the show week to week.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #23
Easy Mac

Quote:
Most of the time that's not the case, though. Everything just get's shifted, at least if it's a first run show coming on. It's been years since I've regularly watched broadcast TV, but I know on CBS, for instance, the Sunday night lineup was basically off by 30 minutes or more because of the NFL. I'm not sure if that's still an issue, but I do recall someone here at work who decided to stop watching the Amazing Race because football would always screw up the recording of the show week to week.

That should make it easy to Tivo The Good Wife. That's one reason why I'm recording Free Agents after Up All Night tonight. I want to make sure that I still get it if America's Got Talent runs over again.

The thing is, I can set the Tivo to record a regular show 30 minutes over if I program it manually (or tell the season pass to catch it), but 99% of the time, that isn't necessary, even after live shows.

Also, joined in progress normally only happens to news shows or reruns nowadays.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #24
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Howard Stern Named Judge on America's Got Talent - seattlepi.com
Old 05-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #25
BYU 14
Coordinator

I am a Stern fan, so I watched the premier tonight basically because of him, but have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the show in general. I thought there was good chemistry between the judges and the production was well done.

A promising start IMO, Howie had a couple of good one liners and there were a couple of very unique acts. I also think some of those that hate Howard Stern may change their opinions of him if they give the show a chance.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I am a Stern fan, so I watched the premier tonight basically because of him, but have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the show in general. I thought there was good chemistry between the judges and the production was well done.

A promising start IMO, Howie had a couple of good one liners and there were a couple of very unique acts. I also think some of those that hate Howard Stern may change their opinions of him if they give the show a chance.

+1
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #27
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I also think some of those that hate Howard Stern may change their opinions of him if they give the show a chance.

He's got a couple of decades of using shock rather than talent to overcome, one show won't change my opinion of his history.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #28
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
He's got a couple of decades of using shock rather than talent to overcome, one show won't change my opinion of his history.

Exactly. It's been decades. People change.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #29
Ksyrup

I tried watching this show during the first couple of seasons and just couldn't shake the Star Search/variety show feel of it all. And now that I'm even past the other talent shows like AI, there's no amount of personality that could make me watch this.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #30
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

It's pretty insulting to him to say he doesn't have talent. There is a reason he is so successful while so many others have tried to copy him and fail. You may not appreciate his talent but he didn't get to where he was making fart jokes. They guy is an a amazing talent.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #31
BlackJack
n00b

Stern fan, but this is an unappealing shlocky variety show. Less magicians, more midget bukkake. Then you'd have some quality entertainment.

Last edited by BlackJack : 05-15-2012 at 03:05 PM.
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #32
Johnny93g
College Starter

I'm a stern fan. I think he's one of the most talented broadcasters ever. I think the radio is pretty great right now, and look forward to it every day.

I watched AGT for the 1st time in my life, and I wasn't a fan. It's not Howard's fault, I just don't find these types of shows entertaining. Howard was fine, I think the show will be good, I will probably skip it from now on though.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #33
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really fantastic moment tonight with the registered nurse who sang opera. Stuff like that is why I watched the show. He's going to do very well in this competition.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #34
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Really fantastic moment tonight with the registered nurse who sang opera. Stuff like that is why I watched the show. He's going to do very well in this competition.

Agreed, there are plenty of hokey acts, but some very good moments that give people a chance to be seen and/or live a dream that would otherwise never come to fruition. Thought the contortionist kid Turf was a good story as well.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 05-16-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #35
Suicane75
Coordinator

As a former big time Stern fan I gave the show a shot and as others have said, it just comes off as high school level talent show crap. There may be a few good performers in every show and some degree of innovative stuff but at the end of the day I don't really need to see guys dancing as dinosaurs or 8 year olds hanging from ribbon. It was also very annoying to hear the crowd breaking into applause 3 seconds into every act, seemingly on the basis that they weren't as horrible as anticipated.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #36
heybrad
Norm!!!

I've always been a big Stern fan and we watched last night. I guess I enjoyed some of the stories, but my problem with America's Got Talent is the premise of them picking a Vegas headliner. I wouldn't pay a dime to see any of the people they put through last night. It's interesting to see them once for 90 seconds, but nothing was sustainable for an entire show, let alone as a headliner.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #37
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
I've always been a big Stern fan and we watched last night. I guess I enjoyed some of the stories, but my problem with America's Got Talent is the premise of them picking a Vegas headliner. I wouldn't pay a dime to see any of the people they put through last night. It's interesting to see them once for 90 seconds, but nothing was sustainable for an entire show, let alone as a headliner.

I disagree on a couple of performers so far. I think the guy that invents instruments could be a Vegas show, similar to the Blue Man group. There have been a couple of good singers, the Daughter in the Father/Daughter duo from the first night has a great voice and the Joe Cocker sound alike from last night is decent.

I think these first few shows are meant to be more like the goof auditions from American Idol and will get better talent wise as things go on. Also it is definitely a niche type talent they are looking for here....The kind that headlines the afternoon Vegas show you get free tickets.

I am going to stick with it and see what happens once they get to Vegas week.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #38
Pyser
Pro Rookie

premiere got about 10-million viewers, down 2 million from last seasons average
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #39
Suicane75
Coordinator

If the object is to find someone who could headline Vegas I guess they have the people they want, but is it interesting at all to watch?

I guess I just don't see the point of a lot of this stuff. So the guy went out of his way to make an absurdly complex instrument that sounds just like another instrument. Good for him I guess.

It just comes across more as, Americas Got Odd Hobbies, to me.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #40
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
premiere got about 10-million viewers, down 2 million from last seasons average

Already been discussed in some articles, but the premiere date had more to do with that than anything. They should have left it in the June premiere slot rather than bump it up to the point where the spring shows were showing their season finales. It would have fared much better against the June lineup as it always has previously.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #41
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
If the object is to find someone who could headline Vegas I guess they have the people they want, but is it interesting at all to watch?

I guess I just don't see the point of a lot of this stuff. So the guy went out of his way to make an absurdly complex instrument that sounds just like another instrument. Good for him I guess.

It just comes across more as, Americas Got Odd Hobbies, to me.

Isn't that called Hoarders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #42
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Isn't that called Hoarders?

Or Doomsday Preppers
Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #43
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
but nothing was sustainable for an entire show, let alone as a headliner.

Typically the ones that could be a headliner don't typically win. (Iluminate, Fighting Gravity, Nuttin But Stringz and JabbaWockeez) I think there has been only one non-singer win and the singers I find average at best. Jackie Evancho is the only one that has done anything to date.

So, whatever singer has the sappiest story will win followed by the best non-singing act)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #44
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Sharon Osbourne Reportedly Quits ‘America’s Got Talent’ Over Son’s Firing - ABC News
Old 08-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #45
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

That show jumped the shark as soon as they brough Howard Stern on board.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote