Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-27-2003, 05:51 PM   #1
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Talking Due to past injustice...

... my client is unwillingto sign with your team.

How often have we seen this sentence in FOF... Well, it looks like Danny Wuerffel said it to Steve Spurrier today

Wuerffel says no, headlining another whirlwind day for Redskins

Quote:
Wuerffel says no, headlining another whirlwind day for Redskins

By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer
October 27, 2003
ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- Danny Wuerffel won't be rejoining the Washington Redskins, leaving coach Steve Spurrier in a bind if he needs to play a backup quarterback Sunday against Dallas.

After a tumultuous bye week, the uncertainty at Redskins Park continued on many fronts Monday with the Wuerffel announcement; yet another minor roster move; the news that top running backs Trung Canidate and Ladell Betts probably will miss the Cowboys game; and the possibility troubled defensive lineman Darrell Russell, waived by Oakland, could be on the way to help strengthen the front four.

Adding to the day's confusion was Spurrier's description of what he plans with the offense. The coach, who visited owner Dan Snyder's house Saturday for a dinner-plus-strategy session, backed off somewhat from statements last week indicating he plans to return to the wide-open passing offense he used at Florida.

Whatever happens, it won't happen with Wuerffel. After releasing Rob Johnson last week, Spurrier wanted his former Heisman Trophy winner from Florida to return as the backup for Patrick Ramsey.

Wuerffel said no, preferring to remain with his expectant wife and continue ministry work in New Orleans.

``Danny sort of said, `Hey, I've had enough of that football,''' Spurrier said.

Spurrier was unhappy when Snyder cut Wuerffel before the start of the season, leaving the team with just Ramsey and Johnson. Johnson and Spurrier never hit it off, so now the only alternatives if Ramsey gets hurt are two players who have never thrown a pass in the NFL: newly signed Tim Hasselbeck and practice squad rookie Gibran Hamdan.

``Yeah, we're in a bind,'' Spurrier said. ``But we don't think it's much different than the bind we were in to start with, to tell you the truth. It just seemed like Rob struggled in our offense.''

Spurrier said Hasselbeck is working hard to learn the offense, but he won't be ready by Sunday.

``If we had to play one of our backup guys, it'd be just to try to get through the ball game,'' Spurrier said.

That's a real possibility. Ramsey has been sacked 22 times and had to leave the last game early with a bruised hip and throwing hand.

FM

FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 05:53 PM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Awesome. I was oblivious to the fact that he cut Johnson, which is an incredibly interesting move given the injury issues with Ramsey.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 06:08 PM   #3
Franklinnoble
Banned

That's too funny.

As a Redskins fan, I'm kind of glad... Wuerffel scares the crap outta me. I'd rather have Gibran Hamdan promoted off the practice squad.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 06:33 PM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hamdan couldn't even start for a full season at IU, for God's sake. Now he's close to starting in the NFL?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 06:38 PM   #5
Philliesfan980
Banned

Thats great. Its about time some of these guys finally started to show some respect for themselves. I love the fact how Kanell crawled back to the Broncos after they SCREWED him this season, by basically saying "Hey, your our third string, we're just not going to pay you until we have to". Christ. How much is a string QB going to make.

Speaking of Hamdan, lets start naming some sucessful QB's who never really started , or got much playing time, in college. Brad Johnson.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:14 PM   #6
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
Hamdan couldn't even start for a full season at IU, for God's sake. Now he's close to starting in the NFL?

As one of my friends put it, "If Rodney (me) doesn't know the guy..."