Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
DougW
High School Varsity

Get off my lawn !!! (With a fantastic Pic !)

OK, here's my "problem". Kids are using my yard as a cut through to get to the apartments behind my sub.

Everything South, or East of "My Lot" is subdivision area. It's a pretty decent sized sub - say 10 streets deep, 10 streets wide. I'm on the end street with an apartment complex to my North. As you can see, there is a 10 foot stone wall that runs the length of the apartment complex - that stops dead center of my yard. The rest of the houses (behind the church lot) run a standard yard link fence.

So, imagine you're a kid from the apartments, and want to hang out with your buddy that lives in the sub (or vice-versa). Well, you're not running all the way down to "Biggish Street", and then past the church to the sub street .. It makes sense to just cut over a yard, and boom - you're in the sub. And, since everything east of my house has a big ass wall, the most convenient "jump spot" is my yard.

I get how convenient that is (and if I'm 15, I'm probably doing the same) - but, still scares my wife and 5 year old when they see/hear it happen at night. (We go out to the "Florida Room" to smoke - which is behind the house). And, frankly, I don't want "strangers" running through my yard all the time anyway.

So, What I pose to this fine community :
1. Am I being the mean/old "get off my lawn" guy ? And I should just relax about it and let the kids do what kids do ?

2. If not, is there a way to make it more inconvenient for them (which, I'm sure would just push them to my next door neighbors yard).
- I considered new fence, barbed wire (legal ?), a dog. But, truth is, I don't want to see anyone get hurt - just don't want 'em using my yard.

DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I appreciate your pain. We used to live in a house at a major intersection, and we constantly had people cutting through our yard to save distance/time, not to mention people using our driveway to turn around or park their car if they had accidents or their car broke down. We also had people coming to our door asking to use our phone or to call police for them. We had to call police a couple of times when fights broke out and spilled into our yard close to the house.

I'm not sure that anything short of a fence is going to stop it. And I definitely understand not wanting people cutting through your yard. Seems fine and innocent, but maybe someone goes through your yard and sees something they like, check to see if you locked your car or catch a glimpse of something through your window like a computer or TV.

Signs not to trespass aren't going to do the job. Might cut some traffic, but it will just provoke people.

Do you have a homeowners association? Who currently owns the stone wall? There may be some interest from other homeowners to extend the current wall or build a common fence. Sure, you will benefit the most but if you build a fence it will simply pass the buck to the next homeowner. Plus I'm guessing the people across the street from you probably get some foot traffic as well. There may be 20 homes alone that are directly affected by the traffic.

I don't think you're being a mean old man ... unless you take out your shotgun and sit on the front porch itchin' for a fight. Which is obviously an option ...
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My first thought was razor wire.
My second thought was claymores.

Adding enough fence to force them around to the neighbor's is probably the most practical solution but unless you're into matching the complex wall in design (which sounds costly) then it could be an eyesore for you to stare at.

Honestly, I'd probably talk to the cops and see what steps they recommend.
Ultimately any issues that arise from whatever steps you take are going to end up involving them anyway. That's assuming that you're not organized under an HOA of your own, in which case I think you probably start there first.

And no, I wouldn't say you're being unreasonable at all. Everytime they cut through your yard you're taking on a certain amount of liability. One of those kids trips over a garden hose in your yard & breaks a leg, there's a chance that you're facing a civil suit. Depending upon state law, even if they're trespassing you may not be immune.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-19-2012 at 11:26 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
DougW
High School Varsity

Thanks guys. No, I don't have a homeowners association. And, I don't know who owns the stone wall. I'm assuming it's the apartments, as it runs the length of their property only (which is about 10 house lots wide). To the other side of it is open field, wet type terrain. I guess it could have been purchased by the homeowners (I've only been here a couple years) - but, I think if that was the case - the original owner of the house I'm at would have chipped in enough to have it go to the edge of our property, instead of just half of it.

Guess, I'll head down and talk to the police tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
Suicane75
Coordinator

Problem solved.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Showing how times have changed and probably made me hypocritical in the process, I cut through yards all the time as a kid, but it was in a closed-loop type of neighborhood that rarely received non-neighborhood traffic at all, so strangers would stick out like a sore thumb. Used to do it because my friends all lived on the other side of the neighborhood and since there were no sidewalks, it was generally somewhat safer and shorter to cut through the middle of the neighborhood between houses than have to walk the streets around to them (if I were on a bike, I did generally stick to the streets, though).

These days, I'd probably go a little nuts if I saw kids cutting through my yard. Probably just like every other generation who views the following generations rather dimly as almost borderline criminals.

Fortunately, I don't worry about it too much since I'm in an older, graying-out neighborhood with relatively few kids and almost none who have an incentive to come anywhere near my house except on Halloween.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #7
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Have you considered talking to all the other people who own the lots to your left? They may have the same problem, and maybe you could work together to go in on a fence that would go from the stone wall all the way to Biggish Street.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

12 gauge with rock salt?
Old 08-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
12 gauge with rock salt?

I like the way you think sir!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Plant a drug dealer there, and get your cut. May as well make it worth it.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
spleen1015
Coordinator

I would lay down some Rambo traps. That'll teach 'em.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
12 gauge with rock salt?

So they're baited into coming to get the rock salt (which I presume they think is candy or crack) and then you blast them with the 12 gauge? Excellent!
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
Desnudo
Coordinator

If you're in Texas, just shoot one when they're on your property to set an example.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Put up a fence imho - nothing else will stop people tbh, they're kids so fear of the law might dissuade some initially but it'll also encourage the 'daredevils' amongst them to do it more so show how 'cool' they are.

I'd also propose digging a moat around your property, optionally stock it up with piranha or aligators?
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If you go the fence route, you should make sure that it is a pretty sturdy/high/non-climbable fence. The kids are not going to see it as your property--they are going to see it as their cut-through that they want to get back. All it takes is one 15 year old asshole with wirecutters and then the path is open again.

Also, thinking outside the box, is there any place that it would actually make sense to build a legitimate sidewalk for people to use? That would keep them off of people's lawns and, if the sidewalk were owned by, say, the apartment complex, it would keep the liability off of you.

A fence where they are not supposed to be, with a path making it easier to still get where they are going, would be the solution most likely to make the problem go away forever.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #16
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

That IS a fantastic pic.

Question: did the kids just recently start using that cut-through? Looking at that pic, I would think that unless something changed recently, a years-old well-worn footpath would exist there. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this prior to you.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-20-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #17
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
If you go the fence route, you should make sure that it is a pretty sturdy/high/non-climbable fence. The kids are not going to see it as your property--they are going to see it as their cut-through that they want to get back. All it takes is one 15 year old asshole with wirecutters and then the path is open again.

Also, thinking outside the box, is there any place that it would actually make sense to build a legitimate sidewalk for people to use? That would keep them off of people's lawns and, if the sidewalk were owned by, say, the apartment complex, it would keep the liability off of you.

A fence where they are not supposed to be, with a path making it easier to still get where they are going, would be the solution most likely to make the problem go away forever.

Good point about getting a proper fence.

And, no - there isn't anywhere to add a sidewalk. It's a subdivision with houses and properties butted up against each other. The fences are all that separates the neighboring houses. - Unless I was to give up a portion of my yard to give them the sidewalk, and .. No.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #18
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
That IS a fantastic pic.

Question: did the kids just recently start using that cut-through? Looking at that pic, I would think that unless something changed recently, I would imagine a years-old well-worn footpath would exist there. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this prior to you.

Glad I came through on the pic ! haha.

We've experienced it since we moved in (about a year ago). I don't know what went on before that. The back yard is in really good shape though, no path or whatnot. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe a traveler or 2 per night.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #19
Bad-example
College Starter

A crime light + heavy watering in that spot. Make the ground an unpleasant place to jump a fence and make it easy for them to see the muddy ground.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #20
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Put one of those WWII-style Japanese pits there so they fall in and are trapped. Problem solved!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #21
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

This would keep any idiot kid out. And if they came through, you wouldn't have to deal with them any longer.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #22
cougarfreak
College Starter

Leave a couple of copies of the movie "Cujo" laying back there. They're bound to steal them and watch it. Then buy the above dog.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #23
DougW
High School Varsity

This is what I got .. just as good right ?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #24
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Well it'd make it easier to catch the culprits as they'd likely be sitting playing with the dog rather than walking through
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #25
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Turn your yard into a ball pit. Make it fun for everyone.

Alternatively, plant a trampoline right on the other side of the wall that bounces directly into a mudhole. Sure your yard gets destroyed in this process but while you're sitting back there smoking and watching kids bounce into a waist deep mudhole, you'll enjoy it.

Finally, a third alternative. Fertilize the yard with manure.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #26
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
A crime light + heavy watering in that spot. Make the ground an unpleasant place to jump a fence and make it easy for them to see the muddy ground.

Hmm, I really like this one, but can't use it. The back fenceline (from the North fence about 6 ft in) is my kids play area. It's got his swingset/clubhouse & woodchips. So, I can't do that there. And, I can't really do it on the south fence, as that's our way in and out as well.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #27
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Could you talk to your neighbor? Say something like "Look, I'm going to put up a fence, but that's just going to push the problem onto your lawn, so I want to give you a heads up. What if we went in together and built a fence?" Maybe get him to engage his neighbor, etc.

Should be cheaper to build a fence if y'all all split the costs among 4-5 houses.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #28
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Seriously, I doubt the cops are going to be helpful. It's going to take, at a bare minimum, a six-foot privacy fence. Given that it sounds like there's a 4-foot chain link in place, is that even an option?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #29
Easy Mac

Put up a sign that says under video surveillance, trespassers will be prosecuted.

Also, set up webcam and a trip wire so we can watch them fall down.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #30
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Seriously, I doubt the cops are going to be helpful. It's going to take, at a bare minimum, a six-foot privacy fence. Given that it sounds like there's a 4-foot chain link in place, is that even an option?

I don't know that I expect them to be helpful, but you are at least giving them basically a heads up when the inevitable future issues arise. The hope would be that they might have a little better response time, or at least be more prepared for what they find. Judging from the info given in the o.p., I'd say any attempt to make the little bastards walk a little extra is going to have issues associated with it.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #31
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Fences I couldn't see through or over always stopped me as a kid. Anything less didn't. I didn't like the thought of dropping into the unknown.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #32
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Another thing to consider here is that right now everybody is happy because this is "your problem." Any solution you impose will make it someone else's problem. The church might get kids cutting through its lot. Your neighbors might get kids jumping their fences or cutting through their yards. The kids will have to walk farther. The kids's parents might yell about the "safety issue" of their darling sons and daughters have to walk along the Biggish Street at night.

All of which is to say that you probably do want to make sure that whatever you do is within the letter of the law/zoning codes/etc. because someone is going to have their situation disrupted by you protecting your own, and they might decide to be a dickhead about it once they trace it back to your fence/shotgun/Cujo/etc. solution.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #33
Telle
College Starter

Plant pricker bushes at the edge of your property. Preferably something that grows fast so that they don't get trampled before they become a deterrent.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #34
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telle View Post
Plant pricker bushes at the edge of your property. Preferably something that grows fast so that they don't get trampled before they become a deterrent.

Pricker bushes mixed with blackberry vines. Makes the kids walk around and, hey, free blackberries in the summer.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #35
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

The bushes are a good idea. You don't need to make it impossible for the kids. Just make it worth their while to walk around and into your neighbor's yard.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #36
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I'm having deja vu

I can't see the amazing artwork, posting from work, and I'll spare everyone my interpretation.

We moved into our house fall of 2003. We noticed immediately our yard was a popular cut-through.

Our house and our neighbors on the left have the 2 double lots on the street. Our backyards extend to the dead end street running behind our house. Several times I'd be in the kitchen and hear people talking and have no idea where it was coming from, until I saw a group of kids walking through our yard.

Fast forward to spring 2004. My daughter was born, and even prior to that, we'd discussed getting the yard fenced. Multiple times that spring/summer, I'd be cutting grass, and one kid (when I said kid, probably about 14) multiple times and small groups including him a couple other times would cut through while I was cutting grass. What I learned was it wasn't even that he lived on the dead end. He lived another block down behind that, so was cutting through multiple yards.

I was a kid once, and yep, I probably did these same things. But if you are going to sneak through someone's yard, at least make an effort to avoid it while they were actually standing there.

This kid's excuse was "we used to cut through here before." Well, great...those people moved.

Our 6' privacy fence was up within about 2 months.

I, too, felt like I was being that cranky old man at first. Then I realized, who cares what this kid thinks. The neighborhood kids, they turn around on their bikes in our driveway, or ride through our yard. I get that, and I can at least identify them.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #37
JediKooter
Coordinator

Here's what you do...

Get you about 4 or 5 55 gallon barrels, paint them white and then slap toxic waste signs on them. Nothing Photoshop and a printer can't handle. Then take some green dish soap and pour it all over the tops and sides of the barrels.

Next, you find a couple of dead squirrels or birds and put them next to the barrels. Once you've got those in place, get you some of that yellow tape that cops like to use to rope off crime scenes with and have the tape extend all the way across the area (perpendicular to the path they take) 'blocking' their path.

Problem solved.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #38
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

When you see the kids, step outside naked and ask them if they like candy.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #39
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Mrs Glen here...

My thought was along the same lines as the pricker bushes, although I'm not sure what those are. My idea was roses. I have several attack roses that I would be willing to donate to the situation!
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #40
Rizon
Pro Starter

Seriously, stick a German Shepherd back there. People won't be coming through your yard anymore. Instantly.

I use mine to ward of unwanteds (neighborhood kids, solicitors).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #41
Telle
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Mrs Glen here...

My thought was along the same lines as the pricker bushes, although I'm not sure what those are. My idea was roses. I have several attack roses that I would be willing to donate to the situation!

Pricker bushes are just any bushes that have thorns on them. So roses would work well, as would raspberry or blackberry canes.. and I'm sure there's plenty of other bushes or shrubs that could be planted that would do the job as well
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #42
Butter
Coordinator

We were a cut-through to a park that runs across the back of my property. We were the only house bordering it that didn't have a fenced yard. We fenced the yard (chain link)... and then when the kids saw our Rottweiler out in our yard, I think that put an end to that.

Last edited by Butter : 08-20-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #43
Autumn
Head Coach

Go to the party store and buy some Halloween decorations. Particularly those things that make it look like a skeletal hand is pushing up out of the ground. Dig up a spot in your yard and make it look like a mass grave. The bonus is, your kid is in on the joke and will think it's a fun place to play. And when the neighborhood kids see your little kid burying skeletons they'll know not to mess with you.

or set up a toll booth.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #44
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Decent fencing seems to be about $50/8 feet at home depot. It actually should not be that hard to install. I think you can just run it along the existing fence up to the property line. You probably would not have to run perpendicular along the line. A level, some cement, the truck from HD to haul all this to your house, and some poles would seem to be all that is necessary. I think you can do this...would even be better if your adjacent neighbor joined in.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #45
britrock88
Pro Starter

(disclaimer plus I'm-not-from-MI)
These kids are known trespassers, so you may be obligated to warn them of any artificial (non-natural) dangers, maybe a sharp edge on your kids' swing set or something.

I agree with the earlier mention that a kid might cut through, dig under, or otherwise compromise a chain-link fence you might add to your neighbors', since your section of the fence would still be the first after the stone wall.

Because there's a stone wall and a chain-link fence, other kinds of fences may look out of place.

For those reasons, I would side with the prickly bush idea. (If you feel that it's worth that effort/expense to keep the kids out of your yard. As hinted at earlier, if there's nothing artificial and dangerous in your yard, a kid can't get hurt and win a lawsuit. But I understand the annoyance at the loss of privacy all the same.)
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #46
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought the chain link was on the far side of the church?

I think you can transition 6' wood into a 10' stone fence and not have it look too dumb.

It's possible that your fence might get tagged too, so 6' chain might be better.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #47
DougW
High School Varsity

4' Chain link fence seperates all the houses from the church property. It runs from the corner house all the way to the stone fence. Chain link fence also surrounds every ones back yards - so there is chain link fence between each property.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #48
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Prick her bush? Isn't that what caused the children problem in the first place?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #49
saldana
Pro Starter

i believe as long as you yell "they're coming right for us" first, you are allowed to shoot them
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote