Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #151
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I've never been a ND fan, but it's really not their fault. The announcers in this game are showing why I hate it so much when they are good. I'm waiting for the two announcers to start talking about licking the sweat off of all the ND players nuts after the game.

Don't get me wrong, this is an impressive win. . . but the announcers started talking about the win with about 14 minutes left and OU driving to tie the game. They must have said "there is still time for OU to win" about forty times in the last quarter of a one score game. Meanwhile, Herbstreet just talked about how ND is the most impressive team this week. Look, I don't really like KState either, but I think they just slaughtered yet another top 20 team today.

I'll admit it, I didn't think ND had a chance in hell of winning this game. They have impressed me beyond belief and it is clear to me this is a BCS team now on merit. I think they are going to USC with a chance to go to the title game. (and if that title game is ND vs Alabama, I'll be pissed at not being able to cheer for a team in the champ game again)

But I really hated listening to the announcers this final quarter. That was the most painful quarter of football I have listened to in a long, long time.

Already saw a ND fan point out they held Michigan lower than 'Bama and OU lower than KSU and that defense wins championships. Look, ND is a nice story, but I've watched ND twice this season, and they would get killed by 'Bama.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #152
bronconick
College Starter

I'm just glad that OU at least got a rushing TD. That anecdote got old long ago.
bronconick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #153
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Already saw a ND fan point out they held Michigan lower than 'Bama and OU lower than KSU and that defense wins championships. Look, ND is a nice story, but I've watched ND twice this season, and they would get killed by 'Bama.

You are probably right, but i also heard all week that they'd get killed by Oklahoma.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #154
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
What in god's name did Mississippi State do to get to #11 in the country? Other than being in the SEC, what makes them any different than #16 Syracuse or previously unbeaten #15 Rutgers or #24 Ohio? Ohio's win over Penn State is better than any other win any of those teams have.

SI

in what universe is Syracuse #16??? I want to move there!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #155
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Difference being, I think, that Texas Tech was maybe a top 20 team, whereas Oklahoma has been one all year. Three weeks ago TT wasn't even ranked.

edit to add: Even with this loss OU is still a top 20 team,maybe top 15. TT may not even be in the top 25 after today.

OU was deemed a high ranked team from the start due to the media. OU has lost at home to KSU and ND. At least when Michigan played 'Bama and ND those were on the road. You can add Nebraska as a loss for Michigan, but that's a hell of an asterisk.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #156
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Alright, I used to be able to get WatchESPN, but this season I can't. I have AT&T and it even says AT&T sponsors it. I try every different option for provider but still a no go. I searched AT&T's website and got an e-mail address for ESPN. Joy.
Same problem here. AT&T has ESPN3 access, which exists in another form now. I believe you're supposed to be able to access WatchESPN on your computer from your home connection, but you cannot access on mobile devices or away from home. The good news is that AT&T's retrans agreement with Disney/ESPN expires in December, so when they renew we will probably get the full WatchESPN along with some of the missing ESPN channels.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #157
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
in what universe is Syracuse #16??? I want to move there!

Hah! Louisville. Sorry, typed the wrong Big East team

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-27-2012 at 10:41 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #158
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
You are probably right, but i also heard all week that they'd get killed by Oklahoma.

I don't know about killed. Texas is OU biggest win and I'm not sure how much that accounts for considering Texas was giving up over 11 points per quarter during that stretch. I thought they would challenge OU, but OU seems to get far more praise then it deserves as of late. I will say I'm surprised they did win and by the amount though.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #159
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
maybe so, but 14th in the country is 14th in the country. Besides, the same KState team beat OU on the road as well, so that does not give ND some major advantage over KState.

I just don't think beating Texas Tech today is in the same ballpark (in terms of being impressive) as beating Oklahoma today. That seems to be what you quoted Herby as saying, I just don't see a problem with that.

FTR, I had K-State #3 this week, with ND at #4. (OU was my #10, TT was my #14). I don't believe I'm going to change that KSU-ND order based on today ... but I'd still say ND got the better win of the two for the week.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #160
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Same problem here. AT&T has ESPN3 access, which exists in another form now. I believe you're supposed to be able to access WatchESPN on your computer from your home connection, but you cannot access on mobile devices or away from home. The good news is that AT&T's retrans agreement with Disney/ESPN expires in December, so when they renew we will probably get the full WatchESPN along with some of the missing ESPN channels.

O.o

http://fewpb.com/CableTelecom/ESPN3.aspx

That link works.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #161
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Still a long way to go but we could have undefeated champions from the SEC, B12, Big East, Pac 12 and Notre Dame. Utter chaos.

Alabama has a tough road but they are the superior team and I expect they will run the table. You have to consider Notre Dame a pretty likely candidate with USC in the toilet. K-State's toughest game left is Texas at home. Oregon seems to be the class of the Pac 12. Maybe Louisville makes it, but I wouldn't bet on it.

It seems more and more likely somebody or two is going to get hosed. Alabama is in regardless. I'll bet Notre Dame gets No. 2 if they run the table.

I know people will say this means the four-team playoff will fix things, but it's still a mess.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #162
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Sudfeld at QB = Indiana win.

This plus Wisconsin losing = great day for IU football fans. This team is on the way up! Let's take down Iowa next weekend!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #163
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
But it isn't remotely the same.

I live in Seattle, 3 miles from the campus, and I can't watch the game on TV. There is something very wrong with that.

If you are a fan of an NFL team and live in that market you can see all their games on the TV. Sunday ticket is more of a luxury item unless you live out of your teams market.

I don't think it is to much to ask to be able to see my own team in their market on all platforms.
Um, of course you could watch the game - switch to Comcast.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #164
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
RE: Robinson. Nerve in elbow. Makes it hard to throw. Not like he could anyway. Hey oh.

It's a shame. When they figured out a way to get Toussaint going last season, he was far more effective. But with this one-dimensional offense, when his arm is bad, there's nothing Michigan can do to score points. As the season progresses, he gets less and less accurate as the hits accumulate.

The defense is actually pretty good, now that the no-experience defensive line has matured after the Alabama pounding and the Air Force ground attack. If they just had a quarterback with accuracy, I think they could give anyone a good game, though I'm not sure anyone is in Alabama's class this year.

Robinson is a special athlete, but a good defense can and will hold a one-dimensional team out of the end zone.

As for Alabama vs. Notre Dame, I don't think the Irish have much to stand on there, though they do deserve a chance to try.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:26 AM   #165
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Anxious to finally see Notre Dame lose. Their run has been all quaint and stuff, but they're WAY overrated right now.

Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:49 AM   #166
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Still a long way to go but we could have undefeated champions from the SEC, B12, Big East, Pac 12 and Notre Dame. Utter chaos.
It seems more and more likely somebody or two is going to get hosed. Alabama is in regardless. I'll bet Notre Dame gets No. 2 if they run the table.

I know people will say this means the four-team playoff will fix things, but it's still a mess.
People (including me) say this every year around week 8... and it never plays out that way. None of the top 4 (including Bama) have more than a 1 in 3 chance of running the table.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #167
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I would love to see K State play in the title game, that being said ND and Oregon also have a good resume if they all run the table.

PLAYOFFS PEOPLE!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #168
bronconick
College Starter

Good lord. Lattimore's going to need to worry about walking again, not football. He basically doesn't have a knee anymore.

Broken femur, broken patella. Torn ACL, MCL, PCL and LCL.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #169
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Um, of course you could watch the game - switch to Comcast.

Maybe you didn't read my original post. I think it is arrogant of the PAC 12 to think people will switch to Comcast just for their product. It isn't that good. In this day and age too many people can just stream the game, or go out to a bar that has it, which in my neck of the woods isn't to many bars since most carry DTV.

I'm not giving up Sunday Ticket to watch what will amount to the 4 Huskies football games on the PAC 12 network and it is obvious most other people feel the same way as I do, otherwise DTV would be losing subscribers and a deal would be made.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #170
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Good lord. Lattimore's going to need to worry about walking again, not football. He basically doesn't have a knee anymore.

Broken femur, broken patella. Torn ACL, MCL, PCL and LCL.

Once the initial reaction to the play wore off, I thought he was done playing football.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #171
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
This plus Wisconsin losing = great day for IU football fans. This team is on the way up! Let's take down Iowa next weekend!

I imagine this is a probable. Iowa is just not very good.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #172
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Big Ten teams are praying Oregon goes to the title game so USC goes to the Rose Bowl.

Why? I can't imagine big 10 teams would beat USC
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #173
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Why? I can't imagine big 10 teams would beat USC

USC probably wouldn't thoroughly embarrass them though.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #174
bronconick
College Starter

USC would win something like 35-20. Oregon would win 69-13.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #175
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I can't remember a year where the Big Ten has looked worse. Even if OSU and PSU were bowl eligible they might not outplay the Big East.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #176
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Once the initial reaction to the play wore off, I thought he was done playing football.

I hope the initial reports aren't true. Could be worse than the McGehee injury. It took more than a year, but McGehee came back in decent shape.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #177
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I hope the initial reports aren't true. Could be worse than the McGehee injury. It took more than a year, but McGehee came back in decent shape.

Sounds more like Robert Edwards injury at the Pro Bowl from years ago.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #178
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Marcus Lattimore dislocated knee Saturday, South Carolina Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier says - ESPN

Looks like it might be only a dislocated knee. Full report to come later today. Initial viewing of the play made it look much much worse.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #179
Easy Mac

Dislocated knee normal means you tear anything and everything in the knee. It's definitely bad.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #180
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Official news release from the school says "hyperextended knee" but notes damage to several ligaments. There were no fractures or additional injuries, according to team physician Jeffrey Guy.

Marcus Lattimore dislocated knee Saturday, South Carolina Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier says - ESPN
Old 10-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #181
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Maybe you didn't read my original post.
I did. I was responding to the subsequent post that stated you couldn't watch the game despite living in Seattle.

Quote:
I think it is arrogant of the PAC 12 to think people will switch to Comcast just for their product. It isn't that good. In this day and age too many people can just stream the game, or go out to a bar that has it, which in my neck of the woods isn't to many bars since most carry DTV.

I'm not giving up Sunday Ticket to watch what will amount to the 4 Huskies football games on the PAC 12 network and it is obvious most other people feel the same way as I do, otherwise DTV would be losing subscribers and a deal would be made.
I think Scott miscalculated on carriage negotiations and made a few blunders. He didn't get iron-clad assurance that Comcast would carry the networks nationally, and so many regions serviced by Comcast are not showing the network. So Scott can't use the agreement with Comcast as leverage against DTV.

Second, he didn't retain the right for the conference to allow paid digital streaming of games for those that don't have a carrier that has an agreement with the conference. This pisses off fans and doesn't increase leverage against holdouts like DTV.

Third, he counted on some personal relationships within DTV to help smooth negotiations, and when those people left DTV, he was up shit creek.

Fourth, he clearly didn't understand the amount of leverage DTV has with sports fans, and thus leverage that DTV has vs. the Pac-12 (as opposed to Dish or the various cables).

It'll be interesting to see if/when Scott caves and offers a better deal to DTV, because at this point I don't see any other way to get them on board. And if/when he does cave, what does that do to the conference's relationships with Dish & the various cables that signed for higher rates?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #182
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Radakovich leaves GT, named new AD at Clemson

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...letic-director