Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Logan
Head Coach

Trip to Amalfi Coast in Italy

So my fiancee and I have decided to go to Italy for our honeymoon in June. I've never been, while she did the whole study abroad thing in Rome during college, which allowed her to see most of the sights. One area she hasn't been to is the Amalfi Coast, and is supposedly a great honeymoon destination so it's what we are focusing on.

I'm trying to research the logistics around seeing the coast in the best way possible. I know there are many towns, all with great features, but I don't want us to be lugging our bags around from place to place. I'd rather us stay in one place for the most part and then see the rest through day trips (plus likely a night in Capri). It seems like Positano might be the best option as a central point; does anyone have experience with a trip like this? Suggestions or things to avoid?

Stepping back a bit, this entire trip will likely be around 10 days. My fiancee also wants to see Lake Como which is north, and it seems like we can fly from NYC to Milan, take the train to Lake Como and stay for 2-3 days, head back to Milan and take a short, cheap flight to Naples and then get to Amalfi Coast from there, staying for 6-7 days. Thoughts on these plans would be appreciated as well.

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I can't speak to the logistics as we just did a drive down to Positano and Sorrento after a half day at Pompeii. We were there in February and it was 40s and windy at Pompeii but close to 60 on the coast. The citrus trees in bloom are beautiful. But, truth be told, the cities were little shopping spots and I don't think there's a lot to do there. I guess not a big deal if it's your honeymoon.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Butter
Coordinator

Try to find an English speaking guide for the tour of Pompeii, and make the climb up to the rim of Vesuvius. It's dormant, but still pretty amazing.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Three full days at Lake Como might be a bit too long, but maybe not. From Como there are boat tours of the lake. The funicolare which goes from near the beach in Como up to a little town called Brunate is pretty neat. Bellagio is another town to visit that is on the lake. If you can, a trip into Milan is worthwhile, to see 'The Last Supper', as well as the Piazza del Duomo, where there is the Duomo, the original Galleria, and La Scala opera house. The Castello Sforzesco is also an impressive sight to visit.

As for the Amalfi coast, the idea of setting up a base camp and doing day trips from it is a solid one.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Try to find an English speaking guide for the tour of Pompeii, and make the climb up to the rim of Vesuvius. It's dormant, but still pretty amazing.

+1000

I just did both earlier this year. Plan on spending a while in Pompeii (if I have one criticism of our whole trip it's that I wish we could have spent longer at Pompeii), and you absolutely have to go up to the rim of Vesuvius.

If you want an English-speaking guide I can connect you with the one that I used.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Sounds like a great trip - I loved the trip I took to that area, not the coast specifically, but mine was a group tour focused on archaeology. Pompeii is fantastic and really deserves a whole day - even then you won't be seeing everything.

Climbing Vesuvius was also amazing.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

Thanks guys and keep it coming. My fiancee has been to Pompeii before but I told her she'll need to suck it up and see it again with me. Not sure if she did the hike to the rim but that will be something I'd definitely want to do.

Re: Como, I think it would be a max of 2 nights with getting there relatively late on Day 1 and leaving early on Day 3. We admittedly don't know a ton about that area and will be looking into it more to see if it makes sense.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Logan, if she has been to Pompeii and doesn't want to go again, but you want to get an idea of what happened, you could visit Herculaneum instead which is another, smaller town that was destroyed by the same volcano as Pompeii. It is a smaller site but is better preserved because it mainly had pyroclastic flows - hot air and gas, instead of mud/ash mix which knocked buildings down in Pompeii. In Herculaneum you can see some instances of original wood from the buildings that is charred and blackened, as well as two story buildings. It is also an exceptional site.

Just an option.

Last edited by Peregrine : 12-04-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

We were there in the Spring. We much preferred Amalfi to Positano as a place to stay - less crowed than Positano, which can be mobbed at times. If you decide on Amalfi, strongly consider staying at the Grand Hotel Convento de Amalfi - a very cool, modern looking space in an old convent, up on the hill overlooking the bay - absolutely loved this place (http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hotel...di-amalfi.html).

One tip on Pompeii (which is great) - book a tour at then end of the day; it can be almost deserted then (depending on the day), and much cooler than in the mid-day sun.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

Thanks for the suggestion. I had been looking into villas/apartments available for rent from owners over hotels but will keep that in mind.