Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Moving to San Francisco

I'm expecting an offer from a start-up in downtown SF, and thus will be moving from Sacramento back to the Bay Area. This time, however, I will be living in the city of San Francisco.

Do we have any FOFC'ers that live in the city? If so, any recommendations on areas to seek a 2BR apartment? The things that are at the top of my list are:

Safety
Restaurants
Walk-ability
Transportation (Muni/BART)
Bars (less on the seedy side)

Most of you know how liberal I am, so I could care less how many rainbow flags are flying next to my window, or hipsters walking around with dark-rimmed glasses and low-rider pants.

Thanks in advance!

Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

LIKE!!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Masked
College Starter

It all depends on how much you are willing to pay in rent. You're probably looking at $2.5k/month (or more) in rent for a 2br in the more desirable areas that meet your criteria.

Good luck.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post
It all depends on how much you are willing to pay in rent. You're probably looking at $2.5k/month (or more) in rent for a 2br in the more desirable areas that meet your criteria.

Good luck.

Money isn't really an issue here. I could go as high as $3.5k for the right place.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
JediKooter
Coordinator

The Marina district is pretty nice. Not too far from the financial district, the ballpark, the wharf, Golden Gate. I have a couple of friends that I used to work with that live there right off of Lombard. Nice area, plus it's just a couple of blocks away from Chestnut St which has a bunch of nice places to eat and drink.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I've actually looked into the Marina, but unfortunately most of the places there are $4.5+, and *very* few of them allow pets. We have a kitty that is part of the family. That's the only area that I've actually heard a lot about. I know *of* the Mission and a few other sections, but I don't really know much about them...living-wise.

I think my only chances of getting into the Marina would be post-IPO (crosses fingers) when we buy a place.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 12-07-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I've actually looked into the Marina, but unfortunately most of the places there are $4.5+, and *very* few of them allow pets. We have a kitty that is part of the family. That's the only area that I've actually heard a lot about. I know *of* the Mission and a few other sections, but I don't really know much about them...living-wise.

I think my only chances of getting into the Marina would be post-IPO (crosses fingers) when we buy a place.

Ah got it. I'm not sure how much they pay for rent to be honest. Every time I see or hear about places in the bay area not allowing pets just seems so...anti-bay area. Anyway, stay away from the Tenderloin area, as I'm sure you've already heard. Castro area is nice in some parts, but, to me looks run down in most parts. I've heard the Mission district is nice and so is the Nob Hill area. Don't know what kind of prices you'd be looking at though for those areas. Just move to Sausalito, it's just on the other side of the Golden Gate and you won't have problems finding a parking spot.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Wow that seems like a lot of money for rent, but I've always heard it was pricy out there. Love to visit SF but I guess not live there.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
MacroGuru
Coordinator

So wait, didn't you just buy up in Sacramento?

Did the Startup lure you away?

Congrats as well.

When I worked for Macromedia I was amazed at the pricing of housing in the area. I always hate living in the cities but I SF is one area I could actually live in.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Good luck, my favorite city, I'm sure my brother, who has lived in the city for 17 years now, will chime in here,
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I would not live in the Marina. I think the places you'd like are probably more akin to Noe Valley, SOMA (though a little bit more "older crowd" - 30's monied) and the Mission (startup central and hipster central right now). Feel free to PM me where your exact location is / which startup it is, can figure out accordingly. I assume no car, using BART?

And Peregine, yup. I pay ~1.6K for a studio outside the city - can't get a reasonable 1B in the city for less than 2K.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Yeah, it depends on a few things: where your offices are, how far you are willing to commute within the city to get there, how close to the "action" you're willing to be (I'm 28 and while I like Noe Valley, I would never want to live there unless I had kids). I currently live in the Pac Heights area and like it. I work downtown and it's about a 15-20 min bus ride, nice area, clean, safe, plenty of good bars/restaurants, and it doesn't take too long to get to other areas like SOMA, Mission, Marina, etc. Very centrally located. I also do like the SOMA, although the quality of that area can vary greatly.

The rental market is a GD nightmare right now, so yeah, it's going to be a struggle. You could always go with a broker if you were willing to pay for it, which might not be a bad idea since you have a cat. Cats aren't as much of a dealbreaker as dogs can be, but with things as competitive as it is, landlords might be more inclined to just take the person/people who are without furry little friends. That is where the broker could come in handy.

Holler with any questions. Lived here for over 8 years now. I know some thangs.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I did buy a house in Sac (Jan 2011) but thankfully the housing market has gone up since then. We're expecting to sell for about 10% higher than we bought. A house with an identical floor plan about a half block away just sold for slightly over that.

I wouldn't say they lured me away. I've been heavily recruited in the Bay for some time now. Ever since I moved away at the end of 2009, I've been getting offers from random companies up and down the Peninsula/Silicon Valley. The job market in and around Sac is dead, and I eventually just decided that enough was enough. I could be putting thousands in the bank every month if I took one of these offers, even with the high cost of living in SF. Plus, you all know me...it's pretty safe to say that SF is much more of a "Sun Tzu Friendly" city compared to republican/conservative Sacramento.

The office that I would be working out of is downtown. I'm fine with a commute up to 30 minutes each way. I've taken public transportation before, and while I'll probably keep my Prius, I don't intend on using that to get to and from the office.

The Wife and I will probably start "trying" again shortly after this move is done. We're perfectly happy having a kid in San Francisco, and if schools become an issue...well at least that's something we won't have to worry about for 6+ years.

Crapshoot: I'll PM you later. Thanks for the offer.

Sparkle: What do you mean by "the rental market is a nightmare" exactly?

Macro: Thanks

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 12-07-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
DanGarion
Coordinator

Maybe this group of tagged posts from Justinsomnia might give you some insight on areas of interest. Heck maybe you can bug him for some input, he's a pretty cool guy when I've interacted with him.

Home - Justinsomnia
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm expecting an offer from a start-up in downtown SF, and thus will be moving from Sacramento back to the Bay Area. This time, however, I will be living in the city of San Francisco.

Do we have any FOFC'ers that live in the city? If so, any recommendations on areas to seek a 2BR apartment? The things that are at the top of my list are:

Safety
Restaurants
Walk-ability
Transportation (Muni/BART)
Bars (less on the seedy side)

Most of you know how liberal I am, so I could care less how many rainbow flags are flying next to my window, or hipsters walking around with dark-rimmed glasses and low-rider pants.

Thanks in advance!

What about assless chaps? Good luck I love SF.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Crazy in the sense that there are a few dozen people at every open house, all clamoring for the apartment. There's just way more people looking than places available. This was before my time, but from people I know who were around then, it has a similar feeling to the first tech boom. Not quite as crazy, but in the vicinity. Rents have gone up significantly over the past year. Just be ready to sign on the dotted line the moment you walk through a place. Bring your credit report (don't be surprised if places make you pay cash or whatever to run their own, anyway) and your offer letter/pay stubs, etc. References can't hurt, either. You also may find people are offering to pay above asking price or pay for a few months right upfront. It's that cray.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #17
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Definitely on the credit report. Money is flowing in the Bay Area right now.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #18
Izulde
Head Coach

Hmm.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

3.5k sounds about right. Rents have gone up 20% in past year.... Too many out of town dinks coming in with their tech jobs

One important thing on your priorities should be parking. Most places in your price range should include 1 spot, but street parking for any others. If it has no parking then your location is key. For example, I would not live in the mission or north beach without a space.

The open house craziness is true. Expect about 20 people, all willing to pay on the spot. We got our last place because we paid 6 months in advance.

As far as locations, the more center the better. I have lived in 9 places over the last 17 years and my favorites have all been in the middle. I really like nopa, upper Castro, lower pacific heights. From these places, downtown is about 15 min away. there are also lots of great bars, restaurants, and parks to walk to.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
As far as locations, the more center the better. I have lived in 9 places over the last 17 years and my favorites have all been in the middle. I really like nopa, upper Castro, lower pacific heights. From these places, downtown is about 15 min away. there are also lots of great bars, restaurants, and parks to walk to.

Yeah, I've spent time in 7 of your 9 places and the best ones were the places that had nearby bars and restaurants. But as much as I love going there and spending time in city, it is still mind-boggling to me how much one has to pay for the privilege to live there. I think I got the best of both worlds - I live in an incredibly beautiful, reasonable priced spot in Colorado but make frequent trips to SF and California.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #21
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
3.5k sounds about right. Rents have gone up 20% in past year.... Too many out of town dinks coming in with their tech jobs

Hey! I'm a local that only recently moved *away* from the Bay Area. Pffff.

Actually, I was born in the city of San Francisco, something none of my friends can claim. My parents didn't live in SF when they were pregnant, which means (I can only assume) they wanted to say they brought me into the world in SF.

Great advice all the way around. I appreciate the heads up. I don't know that I'm going to be willing to give anyone 6 months pay up front, regardless of who they are or how nice the apartment is. My Wife and I do have great credit scores though (high 700's) which hopefully will help. I have a hipster buddy that said he absolutely LOVES the Mission district, and he highly recommend I check it out based on my temperament/personality/taste. I looked around on Craigslist and found a place in the Marina for 3.5k with a view of the Golden Gate. Not bad
Old 12-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #22
xjayex
n00b

I just want to know what you do to be able to afford 3.5k a month in rent.
xjayex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #23
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

XJ, Tech is really booming and then some. If you're a top notch programmer / designer, you're going to make 6 figures here comfortably. There's a steep drop off if you're not elite, but if you are, the world is your oyster.

Sun, no doubt for me (only seeing you on this board) that you'll like the Mission; Noe Valley is nice because its basically "up the hill", so you can interact with Mission Hipsters until you get sick of them. If you guys are going to have a family, Noe Valley is probably better long term, but Mission is probably better now.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #24
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Indeed, tech is booming. I'm neither a programmer or designer, though. I've done ok for myself in sales management. As you probably are well aware, sales Directors/VP's generally have it ok. I attribute half of my success to luck of growing up smack dab in the middle of Silicon Valley. I also impressed the right people at the right time, which means (and this is, IMO, the best part) I don't have to go job searching, I just have to call a few friends.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 12-09-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #25
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Indeed, tech is booming. I'm neither a programmer or designer, though. I've done ok for myself in sales management. As you probably are well aware, sales Directors/VP's generally have it ok. I attribute half of my success to luck of growing up smack dab in the middle of Silicon Valley. I also impressed the right people at the right time, which means (and this is, IMO, the best part) I don't have to go job searching, I just have to call a few friends.

It's where I used to be, now all my friends have retired or moved out of the area and are running their own consulting gig.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #26
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Offer (eventually) accepted. A lot went down between the start of this thread and the written offer, but...better late than never, right?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #27
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Welcome, time to break out the rice a roni, where you at?
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #28
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats! Given our worlds, we probably run into each other at some level.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #29
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Thanks!

I'll be staying in a short-term vacation rental in Cole Valley for a little over a month while we do some apartment shopping. Should be fun!

Let me know if you guys want to grab a drink sometime.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 02-05-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #30
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That would be interesting if you guys get together.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #31
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

As anyone who has met me knows, I walk around with pictures of naked women draped across my torso, and every 30 seconds I shout anti-USA obscenities.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #32
finketr
College Prospect

my brother and family are also moving to the SF area.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #33
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
That would be interesting if you guys get together.

how so?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:34 AM   #34
Icy
Pro Starter

Congrats!

I'll visit SF soon (March 25-29), as i'm attending this year the Game Developers Conference.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #35
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
As anyone who has met me knows, I walk around with pictures of naked women draped across my torso, and every 30 seconds I shout anti-USA obscenities.

I remember that parade
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #36
Subby
lolzcat

This is a long way from the Best Buy days!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #37
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Aren't you also baking cookies in German or something?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #38
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
This is a long way from the Best Buy days!

this