Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
rowech
Pro Starter

Basketball rules question

How do you rule this shot if it happened at the end of the game? If buzzer went before it bounced? After it bounced? Does it count as a 3 from where she threw it from or a 2 because of where it bounced?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=VQGEO...%3DVQGEOaA3JIs

Last edited by rowech : 02-12-2013 at 03:07 PM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Gotta be a 2 or no basket
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think it counts as a 3.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
nol
Banned

I'm pretty sure it's a two-pointer (at least if the ball bounces inside the three-point line; not sure what the ruling is if it bounces outside the arc). I know this for sure because I once saw an errant pass from outside the arc deflect off a referee into the basket. It counted for two points, and since the referee is considered part of the court, I'd assume the same logic applies. If the ball bounced after the buzzer, it's still good, at least according to NBA rules. Bouncing in a Buzzer Beater: A Ruling from the NBA - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

Last edited by nol : 02-12-2013 at 03:32 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Legal 2 counted as a basket for the player on that team furthest downfloor seems to be right.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's the rule in question:

Quote:
4-4, art. 3

"A ball which is in flight retains the same location as when it was last in contact with a player or the court."

So a ball in flight that hits the floor inside the arc and goes in is a two pointer. If the ball hits the court after the horn sounds and then goes in, it does not count.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
nol
Banned

Here's something for the even-more-unlikely-to-ever-happen department: I wonder if goaltending rules would still apply for such a shot after it's bounced, assuming that the ball is on a downward path to the hoop and the player blocks the shot without interfering with the actual basket.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Here's the rule in question:

So a ball in flight that hits the floor inside the arc and goes in is a two pointer. If the ball hits the court after the horn sounds and then goes in, it does not count.

Yes. this is accurate. If it bounces before the horn, it's a two, otherwise game/quarter over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Here's something for the even-more-unlikely-to-ever-happen department: I wonder if goaltending rules would still apply for such a shot after it's bounced, assuming that the ball is on a downward path to the hoop and the player blocks the shot without interfering with the actual basket.

It could still be defensive/offensive interference.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
nol
Banned

I get that it could still be basket interference, but what if the ball was grabbed cleanly from the air? Once it hits the floor, wouldn't it be treated as any other rebound or loose ball?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
I get that it could still be basket interference, but what if the ball was grabbed cleanly from the air? Once it hits the floor, wouldn't it be treated as any other rebound or loose ball?

If grabbed before it enters the cylinder or after it begins it's downward flight into the basket (not into the floor) it's not gaoltending or basket interference.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote