Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Technology Questions (those emails of "what's true...what needs tweaking")

Ok, I love where I work and am pretty good with technology. I'm not writing this to try and bash, I'm merely sharing in an attempt to help myself and the folks I work with better understand. Most of these posts will be things that don't sound right to me--I don't think it's a case of someone trying to pass off an issue...instead I'm trying to understand it better myself because I am in a position to help those who send these messages, as I work with them on a committee.

I figured FOFC was a good place to anonymously seek assistance.

So here's the first one. Legit, or not legit?

"We are finding that use of student computers, laptops AND desktops, is adversely affected by active cell phones and smart phones. Before your class logs in, please have them power down their phones.

Too many devices competing for too few IP connections."

Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Umm...I can see a bandwidth issue if all the devices are logged in and active at the same time. Only other thing I can think of is perhaps the router has only so many DHCP addresses to hand out, but that would prevent others from logging in at all.

"Adversely effect" is a broad statement. What exactly does that mean? Does it mean less performance, inability to get a connection, etc.?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Well, the student cell phones (allegegdly) cannot connect to the school's wifi. There are rumors, of course, that's not the case. However, I doubt most students are using the wifi as it's very limited.

As far as the performance, usually students can always log-in, but sometimes the Internet just stops working for them (websites won't load), but continues to work for others.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Wireless access points are likely being overwhelmed...they can only accommodate so many clients before the service deteriorates and eventually drops connections.

I'm not sure what kind of setup you guys have but enterprise gear will try to hand off the overflow to less busy access points to prevent connection drops.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Or your internet pipe is being choked...for example, too much network intensive surfing for your internet connection to handle.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Or maybe it's a conspiracy to get students to shut their phones off during class...

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I tend to believe it's an IP address allocation issue, some admin is probably going in and cleaning out leases every hour.

Last edited by jeff061 : 02-21-2013 at 12:24 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
finketr
College Prospect

You need to have higher density in access points.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
finketr
College Prospect

alternatively, they should reduce the lease times drastically.

or increase the dhcp scopes.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Ha yeah, there's plenty of fixes other than "stop using our network so much". Give me their number, I'll send them a SOW :P.

Last edited by jeff061 : 02-21-2013 at 12:51 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Buccaneer
Head Coach

At my place, we have a strict policy on using our company's wifi connection for personal use. Because it is so easy to use your personal device to connect to the company wifi for personal reasons (except those registered for BYOD), we have a security guy that hourly goes through and shuts of access.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
At my place, we have a strict policy on using our company's wifi connection for personal use. Because it is so easy to use your personal device to connect to the company wifi for personal reasons (except those registered for BYOD), we have a security guy that hourly goes through and shuts of access.

I'll bet he's very popular.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

Locked down tight!
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

"Strict policy" and they still need to pay a guy to scour logs hourly? Hmmmm...that doesn't make much sense.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think he gets auto notifications when someone is in violation. But there should never be a good reason for anyone using our company's wifi for personal since 1) we are a relatively high risk company and 2) wifi has limited capacity and its slow enough as it is compared to our extensive LAN.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote