Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Which movie would you like to see?
GHOSTBUSTERS 23 35.38%
LOGAN'S RUN 15 23.08%
SCARFACE 12 18.46%
(THE) RAIN MAN 7 10.77%
BLADE RUNNER 16 24.62%
THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY 25 38.46%
THE STING 11 16.92%
FLASH GORDON 6 9.23%
THE GODFATHER 17 26.15%
JAWS 16 24.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #51
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
Ouch.

I guess Tombstone never got that cast on a budget for $25M.

Wait a minute... !

Umm...that budget was 20 years ago. Also costs associated with making movies have risen well above the standard inflation rate.

cadmus2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #52
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

no country for old men and there will be blood were both made for 25 mil. i'd say they're similar in scale to tgtbtu. plus, we're not really factoring in actor salaries. so 60 million sounds feasible to me for a western (esp. considering there are a zillion unused western sets in and around california)

edit: 'the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford' budget: 30 mil. and i thought they had some pretty big production pieces in that film

Last edited by NorvTurnerOverdrive : 08-14-2012 at 10:37 AM.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #53
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
yeah, that's why i thought the idea was fascinating. would people try to find imperfect movies that could be improved upon or would they just update classics?

except for tarcone (and maybe jedi and sui) everyone went the classic route. which has its detractors.

conversely, you could have a brilliant idea for a shitty movie and the perception would still be that it's a shitty movie.

I actually think I went both. Bladerunner is undoubtedly a classic, but it's a cult classic that did not do well at the box office when it came out. I think most would regard it as a solid film with flaws (pre-director's cut, which fixed many flaws).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #54
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, I voted for three movies, because I figured it was like voting "1, 2 and 3", but wasn't sure what the actual voting expectations were. Sorry if you posted that, NTO, and I missed it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #55
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
BTW, I voted for three movies, because I figured it was like voting "1, 2 and 3", but wasn't sure what the actual voting expectations were. Sorry if you posted that, NTO, and I missed it.
nope. no voting rules. i'm having a hard time deciding myself
Old 08-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #56
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

and blade runner was a fine choice. that and logan's run are constantly brought up as welcome remakes
Old 08-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #57
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
no country for old men and there will be blood were both made for 25 mil. i'd say they're similar in scale to tgtbtu. plus, we're not really factoring in actor salaries. so 60 million sounds feasible to me for a western (esp. considering there are a zillion unused western sets in and around california)

edit: 'the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford' budget: 30 mil. and i thought they had some pretty big production pieces in that film

Alright, fair enough.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #58
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, I think using No Country for Old Men as a The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly comparison is spot on, as least for budget purposes. In fact, it's one I've even used before.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #59
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmus2166 View Post
Alright, fair enough.
no offense intended. you're certainly entitled to your opinion. it's just that we have a pretty good sniff test and had it been really egregious he certainly would have caught shit for it.

plus, he has robert rodriguez who made el mariachi for like 40 cents* and clint eastwood who's renowned for being a one take jake

*approximately
Old 08-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #60
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
no offense intended. you're certainly entitled to your opinion. it's just that we have a pretty good sniff test and had it been really egregious he certainly would have caught shit for it.

plus, he has robert rodriguez who made el mariachi for like 40 cents* and clint eastwood who's renowned for being a one take jake

*approximately

Haha, that's cool. And I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone either. It just seems like almost every movie these days costs the GDP of a small country to make, so to see all those big names next to a $60M budget, kinda blew me away!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #61
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Yeah... No offense sab, but I'd you thought star trek was terrible I'm really not bothered by you not liking my casting .

I put Abrams' Star Trek on the same level as Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Just an awful movie, so I'm not shocked that you mismanage talent.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #62
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I put Abrams' Star Trek on the same level as Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Just an awful movie, so I'm not shocked that you mismanage talent.

Gotcha. Well, you're in the minority on that view - but certainly not going to dog you for it. Just shows we have dramatically different opinions on some things related to movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #63
WVUFAN
College Starter

What didn't you like about JJ Abrams' Star Trek?

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #64
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hated star trek before, but the remakes actually have me interested in the series.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #65
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
What didn't you like about JJ Abrams' Star Trek?

It seemed like the writers had some good ideas, but had no clue how to carry them out or connect them. The plot felt like a mess. The characters were one dimensional.

Looking at the IMDB, I can see why. I shouldn't blame this on Abrams since he didn't write the thing, and my issues are with the writing. The writers are the same people that gave us Mission Impossible III, Transformers, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Cowboys & Aliens. I'm not surprised these writers don't know how to write characters and plot development since they just want to write Michael Bay type movies.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:49 AM   #66
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

huh, i coulda sworn i set the poll for 4 days. ah well, an extra day can't hurt.

as the votes continue to trickle in tgtbtu has taken a 3 vote lead over ghostbusters. while blade runner fell back to the pack and now the godfather is within striking distance.

big thanks to all that voted!

poll's open till friday @ 7:40 pm
Old 08-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #67
Grover
Pro Starter

THIS IS A PLOT TO MAKE SURE I DON'T WIN!

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #68
Grover
Pro Starter

But no, seriously... everybody should vote.

edit: (for me)

Last edited by Grover : 08-15-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #69
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

lol. it was purely driven by self interest*. it's shark week people. SHARK WEEK!

*or fat fingers. either way
Old 08-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #70
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i didn't want to post my thoughts straight away cuz i didn't want it to influence voting (you think too highly of yourself, norv) SHUT UP, YOU

but i have thoughts. and here they are
:adjusts internet know-it-all cap:

ghostbusters: assuming all these flicks came out at the same time this would be the one that started at the periphery and ended with the cast on the cover of rolling stone. if i have a gripe it's that i woulda liked whedon @director and someone like zemeckis producing

logan's run: probably one of the most coveted remakes and certainly one of the most ripped off movies of all time. it's not fair for me to say much as i'm ambivalent about scifi and jj abrams. i will say as someone who dabbles in (really bad) screenwriting i consider joel silver to be one of the most destructive forces in hollywood. his insistence on an action beat every 7 pages (ie: an action scene every 7 minutes... y'know, cuz the audience gets bored) has resulted in the whiz-bangification of all action movies (seriously, watch the matrix sequels with a stopwatch. every.7.minutes.)

scarface: was hoping you'd take jamie fox for tony and slide denzel to frank. other than that love your creativity. love that you chose daft punk to update the synthy 80's score. fincher's mtv roots would shine here.

rain man: love the idea. but if you wanted darker/grittier spielberg was an odd choice

blade runner: so close to being perfect if it wasn't for goddamn rob zombie. if you had took scott or roman polanski (the film's rife with esoterica)@producer i'd have already voted for you. if you took gaspar noe to produce i'd have ended the competition and declared you too smart for the rest of us

tgtbtu: if i'm gonna pick nits i'd say i'm not in love with eastwood's actor direction. i know he likes to work fast but some of the performances he settles for are weak. of course he's never had a cast like this.

the sting: perfect? nearly perfect? if i've got a gripe it's that soderbergh can be hit or miss for me. that's a really weak complaint.

flash gordon: kudos for having the most ambition. but... lucas and scott are great technical guys (well, scott at least) who aren't great at actor direction. that's trouble with evans (looks>chops) and willis and connery who've been known to mail it in at times.

the godfather: larry's taken enough grief. i will say if you had to remake the godfather you'd be hard pressed to put a better team on the field

jaws: it's definitely a case of "nobody thinks their kid is ugly" i think the criticism is valid but i stand by my picks. as a huge jaws fan if you told me someone was remaking it i'd punch you in the face. if you said someone is remaking it and the coens are directing i'd be... cautiously intrigued?

of course it's easy to be critical in hindsight. the fog of war during 'live draft" can never be discounted. overall i was really impressed. everyone brought the heat and kept bringing it. well done all around

Last edited by NorvTurnerOverdrive : 08-15-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #71
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

scarface: was hoping you'd take jamie fox for tony and slide denzel to frank. other than that love your creativity. love that you chose daft punk to update the synthy 80's score. fincher's mtv roots would shine here.

I was thinking of making Denzel into Frank, casting Will as Tony, and having my wildcard be "3 Part Series". I was thinking of casting Beyoncee as Tony's sister as it's kind of a large part.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #72
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I see two movies where I really like the cast and two more where I'd just want to see the lead female actress in action. I decided to vote just for that first couple. Scarface for the interesting concept and unusual cast, Good-Bad-Ugly basically just for the Pitt-Depp combo.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:57 AM   #73
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

daily bump.

it's ghostbusters holding fast with tgtbtu and the godfather now in command of 3rd
Old 08-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #74
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

in the home stretch now. wade's gonna need the ghostbusters fans to come out of the woodwork or else Grover will be taking home the inaugural trophy.

huge thanks to all that voted!!!

poll closes @7:40 pm est
Old 08-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #75
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

bump
Old 08-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #76
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

The poll dragged a bit (going forward I think 3 days is the sweet spot for polls) but otherwise the inaugural FOFC Movie ReMake Challenge was a

Huge thanks to everyone! Participants and voters!

65 members of the FOFC community spoke and the winners are...

Coming in 3rd place and winner of the Peoples Choice Award
Spoiler

Coming in 2nd place and winner of the Golden Glode Award
Spoiler

and the Academy Award goes to...
Spoiler

Once again huge thanks to all that participated. It was a lot of fun. We received some good feedback and some great ideas and for those interested we will be (ahem) rebooting this franchise in a week or so. So keep an eye out for the signup thread!
Old 08-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #77
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Def going to choose something with better 35-49 white guy appeal next time.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #78
chadritt
High School Varsity

Argh, I know the perfect director i would want for a draft but cant get beyond that...
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #79
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Seems like 1st place was Best Picture at the Oscars, 2nd place won a Golden Globe and 3rd place won the Palme d'Or went to the director of the 3rd place film.

Whichever lowest budget film came with the highest number of votes won the Sundance Film Festival.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #80
tarcone
Coordinator

So where is my Razzie?

Next time I will have a better plan. Just wait.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #81
Grover
Pro Starter

*takes a bow*

Thank you!

Big thanks to norv for running the tournament. I had a lot of fun with everybody and look forward to the reboot. I will defend my title!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #82
TRO
College Prospect

I think it would be interesting to also vote for a best cast actor / actress.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #83
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO View Post
I think it would be interesting to also vote for a best cast actor / actress.
sure. we could have all sorts of fun awards. but... it would have to be a separate write in vote thread as i want to keep the main voting thread as simple as possible
Old 03-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #84
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Looks like TV On The Radio already started working on the soundtrack to wade's Ghostbusters remake. Fast forward to about 4:20

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-10-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #85
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

If it's ever done, Bill Murray won't be involved.