Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Best method to contact member of Congress

Well, the best method is to attend a $10,000-a-head fundraiser and get to meet them in person.

Barring that, does anyone have a sense of whether a letter or a phone call counts as a stronger constituent contact?

I figure that if I am going to take five minutes to do this, it may as well be the best five minutes I can muster.

Thanks.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Letters are pretty much always >>>> phone call. Perception is that the letter requires greater effort.

Where emails fall on the spectrum depends upon the recipient. For years it was letter > email > phone but the gap between letter & email seems to have closed considerably.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hire a lobbyist.

Barring that, letter.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
TRO
College Prospect

I would agree that written communication is best.

You may want to consider a fax as well.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Letter, and don't fax. Faxes get overloaded with form letters from different special interest groups. After you write the letter a follow-up call could be helpful. If you know the location of your rep's local office a visit there might help.

But definitely hire a lobbyist.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
Easy Mac

Go to zappos.com.

Order a briefcase, preferably a Bruno Magli.

Go to the bank.

Withdraw your life savings.

Rob the bank, chances are you didn't have enough in your savings.

Put the money in the briefcase, preferably removing the dye packs.

Get to Washington without being arrested.

Purchase a burner phone and multiple sims/phone cards.

Set up a drop with a liason to the congressman.

Meet with the liason. Try not to get arrested or shot.

Pray that the money went to the congressman.

If you succeeded, meet with the congressman in a hallway for 11 seconds while he completely ignores you.

Never return to your home state and assume things will get worse there regardless.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Letter. Phone calls pretty much end up in the category of email. There's no record of what you're saying with a phone call, so it pretty much gets marked down as a checkmark for whatever you're calling about. The only thing getting through to the congressman is an aggregate score of how many emails and phone calls supporting a certain side. With a letter, it's your best chance of actually getting heard.

Cynically, not much chance either way. I can't remember the last time I heard of an instance in which a member of Congress was persuaded in anyway by what constituents had to say. They will generally only listen to communications that support their existing position.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Letter. Phone calls pretty much end up in the category of email. There's no record of what you're saying with a phone call, so it pretty much gets marked down as a checkmark for whatever you're calling about. The only thing getting through to the congressman is an aggregate score of how many emails and phone calls supporting a certain side. With a letter, it's your best chance of actually getting heard.

Cynically, not much chance either way. I can't remember the last time I heard of an instance in which a member of Congress was persuaded in anyway by what constituents had to say. They will generally only listen to communications that support their existing position.

I think it depends on what is being asked. If it is pro/anti a current bill I'd agree, but a lot of congressional offices do a pretty good job of constituent service. If it's a problem that can be cleared up by a phone call or letter from a rep a lot of them are willing to do that.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

ALWAYS letter. I've worked in offices before and responded to constituents. ALWAYS a letter, but NEVER a form letter, we can tell when the local 1976 of some union has everyone write a form letter in their own words. That has all of the weight of a feather.

Letters change policy. I can;t tell you how many letters I have seen become an amendment or a bill or have someone to lean on an agency to tweak an administrative rule.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-25-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Parachute in through his/her office window.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pose as a reporter for Slugline and then start sleeping with him/her
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
JediKooter
Coordinator

I heard using tape to form an 'X' in your window will get some kind of response.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote