Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Should we delete the cool images thread?
Ja! 18 17.14%
Nein! 68 64.76%
Trout! 19 18.10%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #51
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

You have to do what you know in this business. I sat down for a while and looked at smart-phone development because the sales figures for these devices can't be ignored.

And then I figured out what I'd need to do for a development environment. Marc Vaughan was kind enough to give me advice on my thoughts there (in general, text sim developers are very much willing to help each other when we can).

And then I tried to envision how the product would need to change to fit the new media. I really couldn't do it justice because I have no need for these devices in my own life. I wouldn't interact with a smart phone the way customers would because I've never used one. The result wouldn't be a good product.

I'd like to go this route some day, but it's down the road a ways, if ever. I watch my son sometimes with his smart phone, and the way he uses his hands seems very foreign to me.

Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #52
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

My main concern about FOF or any other career-based sports text sim on Steam would be around the issue of patching. Are you forced to patch in the middle of a season? And what about multiple leagues? If someone is in just one MP league and also has a SP league, they might not want to patch at the same time. I'm not completely against the idea, because I like the delivery system. But I'd just hope that some of these types of details are hammered out beforehand.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #53
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Put out a new FOF and you can delete the rest of the forum entirely.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #54
spleen1015
Coordinator

You can tell Steam not to patch individual games, Ben.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #55
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
You can tell Steam not to patch individual games, Ben.
Right. It's actually an issue with the current FOF: if you are a MP league and also play SP, there are legit reasons why you would want to have both an old *and* a new version of the game running for up to 2-3 months if the patch dropped at the wrong time. This seems like an even more difficult issue to address with Steam in the mix.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #56
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I also recall Markus saying that he couldn't do historical leagues (lahman) because the devices could not hold and process that much data. I wonder if future technology will change to allow that or any text sims that rely on a large database?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #57
Dutch
"Dutch"

Yup, putting a full blown universe database on a phone isn't going to work out too well today. For this to be a successful undertaking you really need to compartmentalize some of this. Either by allowing a user to maintain the database on their home PC that the game could attach itself to...or put the archive in a central location that users attach to (FOF and the Cloud FTW).

The phone app really would be a light-weigh interface back to the game where you could do all your normal transactions without all the heavy baggage of the almanac.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #58
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Regarding the patching issue, my style is fewer, more inclusive patches.

I understand why GMs are reluctant to install them until the community has had a month or so to feel comfortable with them - and also not to do so until a season has completed.

But I think if it's on Steam and everyone will be updating on their next connection, it will feel different and people will accept the immediate change.

It's on me to ensure that if I upload a patch the game will still run the same.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #59
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
OOTP didn't make it?

Huh. I'm not sure what I have that OOTP doesn't have. It's bigger, prettier, and much more popular. There might not be any point in trying that route, since it costs a little bit of money and, more importantly, time.

Things may be different by the time your ready to release, though right now it's not all that easy to get on Steam. Right now for an indie you either need to know someone at Valve who can help you, get enough support to get on Greenlight, or win an IGF award. Neither seem like particularly easy routes for a text sim at the moment.

As far as the future of Steam Gabe Newell has recently talked about opening it up so it's much easier for a developer to get their game out. The biggest things to drive sales for games are being featured on the front page and taking part in a sale, though who knows how easy that will be in a more open Steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
OOTP has been on Steam before.

Out of the Park Baseball 9 on Steam

At one point Markus said that Steam did not produce enough revenue to make it worth it for him

OOTP 10 available on Steam? - OOTP Developments Forums

I don't visit that community often anymore, so I don't know if the view has changed since then. If you have a relationship with Markus, it might be worth it to get into contact with him and see his current thoughts.

Wonder how different the numbers would be if it were on today. Recently indie games have found it much easier to do business on Steam than elsewhere.

Gamasutra - Features - Defender's Quest: By the Numbers, Part 2

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #60
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Of course, what we don't know is the % cut Steam takes.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #61
mckerney
Coordinator

They won't release the numbers for it, but it's thought to be around a 30% cut.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #62
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Of course, what we don't know is the % cut Steam takes.

Another run down on revenue from an indie game on Steam.

Hitbox Team - Dustforce sales figures

Quote:
After deducting withholding taxes, Valve's cut, returns and fees, we're left with around 63% of that, so that figure is closer to $153k.

For every $10 copy of Dustforce sold, $4.41 of it ended up in our pockets.

As seen again, a significant part of the revenue comes from being featured in Steam sales, and also Humble Bundle sales in this case.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #63
revrew
Team Chaplain

I'm with Doug. Steam is evil. Forced to use it for XCOM, and it was a nightmare. I've never even considered another game on Steam.

Problem #1 - I bought the software and still had to do 4 hour download. WTF?
Problem #2 - Incredibly un-user friendly. It told me my password was jacked (I have a password? For what?), went into site to change. Couldn't do it. Went back and forth with tech support via email over and over and over, at least 5 back and forths, and they're such complete morons, I think it would be easier to talk to someone in India. Never did resolve the problem.
Problem #3 - Steam keeps running in the background, updating itself, popping up ads for new games. Leave me the F^$&#* alone. I never asked for it, don't want it, that's why I bought the CD version in the first place.

Evil. Hate that company.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #64
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
Problem #1 - I bought the software and still had to do 4 hour download. WTF?

It beats having them mail it to you or were you expecting some not yet developed sort of wonder download speed thingy that gave you instant access to your game?

Quote:
Problem #3 - Steam keeps running in the background, updating itself, popping up ads for new games. Leave me the F^$&#* alone. I never asked for it, don't want it, that's why I bought the CD version in the first place.

I changed my setting to where it only comes on when I want it to and have no real issue with the service.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #65
Dutch
"Dutch"

Lost in this threadjack is the minor fact that I SAVED THE IMAGES THAT ARE SO COOL THREAD. How about a fucking attaboy!?!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #66
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Lost in this threadjack is the minor fact that I SAVED THE IMAGES THAT ARE SO COOL THREAD. How about a fucking attaboy!?!

Attaboy, Dutch!

p.s. Steam is fantastic. Best thing to happen to PC gaming in a long time. I buy 95% of my games on Steam and which I could by the remaining 5% on it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-16-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #67
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

But did you actually SAVE ALL THE IMAGES???????

I thought not.

But anyway, attaboy.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #68
Dutch
"Dutch"

Maybe I saved them right under our very noses.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #69
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Problem #3 - Steam keeps running in the background, updating itself, popping up ads for new games.

The phrase "end process" means nothing to you?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #70
Dutch
"Dutch"

Technology. It can't be stopped.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #71
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Yes, you have to download a game purchased on Steam. It is not some kind of cloud player. The game has to download onto your computer after buying

Yes, you have to have a password for steam. Since many people use steam to purchase and play games, your password protects your payment information and ingame identities. If Steam thinks that someone is trying to access your account that is not you (for example, someone logs into your account from a computer that you dont normally use, or if someone incorrectly enters your password X amount of times) then they will lock your account and make you change your password. I had to do this about a month ago and it took about 5 minutes. Not sure why steam was causing you issues.

Yes, by default Steam runs in the background and starts when Windows starts. You can stop Steam from running when Windows starts in the steam settings. You can stop steam from running at any time by right clicking the taskbar icon and closing it.

All of the issues you describe are considered features by many players. I would much rather download a game than go to the store and buy it. I would much rather have Steam lock my account and make me change my password than have my account hacked, and I would much rather have steam download game updates in the background while I am at work instead of updating the game when I am trying to play.

Last edited by fantom1979 : 04-16-2013 at 09:31 PM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote