Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
DanGarion
Coordinator

NFL and Union plan to use ex-players as HGH guinea pigs

Going to make this it's own topic since it's bigger than just the 2013 thread, IMO.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...study/2655301/

Quote:
MANKATO, Minn. — Dozens of former NFL players will be administered human growth hormone as the NFL and its players union try to determine the impact of use on players' HGH levels, three people with knowledge of the plan told USA TODAY Sports on Wednesday.

The people spoke on the condition of anonymity because the study has not been announced publicly.

The tentative plan is for roughly 100 former players to participate in the study, with two-thirds receiving HGH and the other third receiving a placebo. Their HGH levels will be measured before and after the trial.

It's part of the scientific design of the population study that will include blood draws from all current players to determine the so-called decision limit — i.e. the highest HGH level a player can have without facing discipline under the new performance-enhancing drug policy that is still being finalized, the people said.

Current Minnesota Vikings players were informed of the plan Wednesday during a visit from their designated advocates from the NFL Players Association, Martin Bayless and Ernie Conwell.

ADRIAN PETERSON: HGH accusations are a 'compliment'

It was unclear whether any ex-players had agreed to participate in the study, when the HGH would be administered or how prescriptions would be obtained for the drug.

Human growth hormone is naturally produced by the body, stimulating cell reproduction and regeneration. It also can be administered artificially and is banned by most international sports organizations as a performance-enhancing drug.

The NFL and the union agreed to blood testing for HGH in the collective bargaining agreement that was finalized two years ago. But a series of issues, including the NFLPA's insistence on the population study to determine what a "normal" HGH level is for an NFL player, has delayed implementation.

Two people with knowledge of negotiations told USA TODAY Sports this week there remains optimism HGH testing could begin in 2013, though a comprehensive agreement has not been finalized.

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
lungs
Pro Rookie

If they are willing to use guinea pigs without it being an issue why don't they just let the players use it?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
miami_fan
Coordinator

I wonder if that is what they are trying to do. Sort of like alcohol, you can use HGH but if your blood HGH level is above X then you have broken the rules.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
If they are willing to use guinea pigs without it being an issue why don't they just let the players use it?

Because the guinea pigs won't be agreeing to use it just because they feel they have to in order to keep up with all the other guinea pigs that are using it.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
chadritt
High School Varsity

Use Brett Favre as a guinea pig. If he comes out of retirement again then we know HGH does something.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote