Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #151
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I'm not sure Sack. I've found wind effects to be generally predictable. The exception is in shorter approach shots to the green (<100 yards). The wind seems to do next to nothing on these shots.

I've slowly started to amp up my difficulty and have improved to where I need to amp it up again. I'm at the level where I need to swing diagonally on drives and where I can only see wind direction and not strength. At this difficulty level, I have to plan for margin of error which is how I think it should be. I'm actually having to stop and plan for the kind of shot I would like to hit and then hoping I can be good enough to execute it. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. It isn't as clean as a simple up and down on the thumbstick with drives this way. I think the next tweak of the difficulty settings would mean one of no wind indicator, advanced shot shaping where you have to use both sticks to swing--one to swing with the club and the other to steady the point of impact on the ball, and turning off the putting grid. I don't know if I'm ready for any of these though. They might be a bridge too far.

I still really like the game though and will be playing it for awhile.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #152
SackAttack
Head Coach

Ajaxab, I have a handle on headwinds and how to handle crosswinds. It's tailwinds that are all over the place. Sometimes the ball will carry, sometimes it'll get knocked down, and it's difficult for me to pin down how I should be approaching those shots. I can't tell you how many second shots on a par-4 where I've got the wind at my back, I'll go up a club and the ball will end up in the bunker in front of the green despite a perfect swing.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #153
SackAttack
Head Coach

4 iron shot which should have landed in the middle of the green, 12 mph tailwind, ball lands just behind the fringe. Yay!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #154
SackAttack
Head Coach

1 mph headwind, 150 yards carry distance on the club with no added power. Struck the ball perfectly, it went 75 yards.

Great job, EA. I mean, just fantastic job you've done there.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #155
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I haven't seen that at all with this game. I've found it handles pretty closely to 13 when it comes to wind effects. Maybe it's the difficulty level? I'm just playing Pro.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #156
SackAttack
Head Coach

So am I. I've had a few problems with the game.

In online multiplayer, whoever loses the round loses all their base XP and only gets whatever bonus XP they've earned (a negative pin XP bonus gets applied exactly equal to the base XP).

My brand new controller refuses to deliver anything but a 'slow' swing, which up until very recently didn't appear to matter. More recently has been when the light winds have had insane inverse impact, like the 1 mph headwind sapping 75 yards of distance on a ball struck square with the same swing that'd been working all round up to that point.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #157
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Something isn't right Sack. I have never lost 75 yards on a full swing 150 yard shot. That is understandably frustrating.

I have rarely, if ever, been able to get anything over than 'slow' swing speed. There was a thread over at OS on that issue, but it looks like it has now disappeared. If my memory serves, it has to do with how quickly you move the club forward after the backswing. You might try testing it on the range if you have the Historic Edition. I have just stopped caring about it though. It doesn't seem to matter that much. Of course, if you're losing 75 yards, it may well matter a lot...
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #158
SackAttack
Head Coach

Yeah, I more or less stopped caring when I started driving 280 yards even with slow. It was like, eh, whatever.

It's been on the approach shots where my distance is getting majorly sapped. We're talking, like, needing two shots from 140 yards away just to get to the green, and that's WITH clubbing up.