Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
AgustusM
College Prospect

Looking for book recommendation, specifically on the Supreme Court.

Based upon some podcasts I have been listening too I find myself interested and looking for a book on the Supreme Court and it's history. Ideally something written in the last decade, but covering the entire history of the court. Founding, key members, landmark cases etc. certainty something of this nature exists and I will use my normal internet methods of exploration. But also thought I would ask this well informed group. If you have read something along these lines that you found excellent, I (and presumably others here) would be very interested in your recommendations.

I would also be interested in a well done contemporary documentary of the same nature if that is more your thing.

AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Rehnquist's book on the Court's history is a decent layman's read that benefits from being written from someone with personal experience on the Court. It isn't the definitive history that Bernard Schwartz's book is, but it's more readable. I would start with one of these depending on just how academic you want your history to read.

Jeffrey Toobin's The Nine is one of those embedded narratives that gives strong biographical sketches about the the personalities on the Court (in this case the Clinton and early Bush years) and the day to day workings of the modern Court, but without a strong historical perspective. Overall, I found it a generally positive portrait of most of the Justices of that era. His followup book, like the climate in which it was written, is more political and less enjoyable to read.

I'd have to qualify most of the other general trade titles available - Bob Woodward's book, though available in spiffy new cover, is really almost forty years old at this point. Jeffrey Rosen writes too heavily to his thruline to be effective as a historian, and most of the other writers out there are nakedly political, writing advocacy rather than reportage. Some of the stuff written specifically for law professionals may be worth looking into, but are going to be just that - written for law professionals.

I'd read Rehnquist, and then move to Schwartz or Toobin depending on which parts of that books resonated with you.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
AgustusM
College Prospect

thank you - that is a high quality recommendation right there.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
AgustusM
College Prospect

I came across this as well - a lot of the books mentioned are on here

Popular Supreme Court Books
Old 10-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Five Chiefs by Justice Stevens is excellent personal history of his time on the court. It begins with a brief history of the Chief Justices of the Supreme Court, followed by Stevens's own recollections of his time working with five different Chief Justices---beginning with when he clerked. Probably won't learn as much as you would reading other books---lots of anecdotes, etc.---but very enjoyable.

In addition to Toobin's books, one could do well simply seeking out his New Yorker articles. He has profiled nearly all of the Justices since he's been on the beat at one time or another (many of these profiles are worked in his books).

The Bretheren and Closed Chambers are also interesting if you want a look at the gossipy behind the scenes stuff (which is probably a bit overstated in both books).

Finally, I can't recommend Anthony Lewis's book Gideon's Trumpet highly enough. It's not exactly what you're looking for---it focuses on a single case, Gideon v. Wainwright---but it provides a great primer about how the Supreme Court works (or at least worked at that time). It walks through the initial trial, the appeal, the petition for cert, etc.---all while keeping you interested.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
AgustusM
College Prospect

thanks - great recommendations.

now I need to finish "without their permission" and "David and Goliath" and I am going to read the kindle samples of all of these and see which one grabs me
Old 10-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
finketr
College Prospect

Men in Black
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
Men in Black

With Judges J and K protecting the bench from alien judicial activism?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
With Judges J and K protecting the bench from alien judicial activism?

SI

that's exactly right.

Amazon.com: Men in Black: How the Supreme Court Is Destroying America eBook: Mark R. Levin: Books
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

"You know what the difference is between you and me? I make these robes look GOOD. "

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote