Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-21-2013, 04:32 AM   #51
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
The knock on Carlton would be he ended his career with different teams whereas Schmidty was always with the Phillies.

But yeah, Carlton is the "no question" No. 2 and best pitcher in the team's history.

Robin Roberts has a bigger argument than you think.

And Pete Alexander, though he wasn't there too long, had arguably the most dominant pitching run by anyone not named Sandy Koufax in history.

I'm not saying Carlton isn't the best pitcher in team history, but it could easily be Roberts, too.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:35 AM   #52
DougW
High School Varsity

Oh. And damn you Marmel for making me turn on my OOTP again.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #53
cuervo72
Head Coach

Brian Downing!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #54
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
Yankees:

Joe DiMaggio
Whitey Ford

Although considering positions, Yogi might have been more valuable.

Curious why you took DiMaggio over Ruth? Lots of great offensive players in the Yankee fold, but Ruth changed the game and was a legit 5 tool player early on before he gained a bunch of weight.

Pitching is tough for this franchise and the offense usually carried them, but I agree with Ford, he was consistent and was the recognized ace for many years. A couple of dominant single season performances by Yankee pitchers (Chesbro in '04 and Guidry '78) but nothing sustained.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #55
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You can certainly say Piazza for the Mets and not get an argument from me. I think it is splitting hairs and I like Wright better.

As for the Mariners I think it has to be Junior and Randy Johnson.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #56
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
I hinted at that question when cartman claimed him for the Rangers. Personally, I don't see his fit as a Ranger, and tend to agree with Alan T as a pick for the Angels. Although, I could see him as an Astro too.

I see Ryan as : Angels, Astros, Rangers, Mets.

I don't really agree with cartmans points of "wearing a Rangers hat in the hall" or "career milestones with Rangers". The milestones were just timing, and not because that's where he was doing his best pitching. That was in California, IMO. That hat thing means nothing to me.

That's my California pitcher = Ryan sales pitch.
Fielder ? : IDK - I'd be entertained with a conversation arguing for Salmon, Guerrero & Fregosi.

Ryan is wearing a Rangers hat in the Hall because it was in his contract to do so when he signed with the Rangers. It's pretty BS that he's wearing a Rangers hat in the Hall.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 10-21-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #57
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Brian Downing!

Downing was awesome.

My personal choices would be Tim Salmon for hitting and Chuck Finley for pitching, but you could make an argument for many players. The Angels are strangely devoid of truly top end players who played primarily for them.

The short list would probably be...

Pitchers: Ryan, Mike Witt, Finley, Jim Abbott, Troy Percival, Jered Weaver, maybe Mark Langston or John Lackey.

Hitters: Jim Fregosi, Don Baylor, Bobby Grich, Rod Carew, Downing, Salmon, Garrett Anderson, Darin Erstad, Vladdy.

Obviously, in a few years, Trout probably trumps them all, if all goes well.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #58
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Curious why you took DiMaggio over Ruth? Lots of great offensive players in the Yankee fold, but Ruth changed the game and was a legit 5 tool player early on before he gained a bunch of weight.

Pitching is tough for this franchise and the offense usually carried them, but I agree with Ford, he was consistent and was the recognized ace for many years. A couple of dominant single season performances by Yankee pitchers (Chesbro in '04 and Guidry '78) but nothing sustained.

Dimaggio could do it all, Ruth didn't pitch for NY and was a defensive liability for most of his time there, something that doesn't get all that much mention but is true, nonetheless. I'd take Gehrig over Ruth, too.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #59
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Edmonds had some monster years for the Angles.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #60
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dimaggio could do it all, Ruth didn't pitch for NY and was a defensive liability for most of his time there, something that doesn't get all that much mention but is true, nonetheless. I'd take Gehrig over Ruth, too.

I'd take Mantle over DiMaggio, but I'd still take Ruth over all of em. As far as their pitcher goes, I know it's unconventional, but I think you can make a strong argument for Rivera.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #61
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's Ruth and nobody but Ruth. When he was 37 he had an OPS+ of 201. That wasn't even in his top ten years and was below his career average of 206. There's never been another player so far out in front of the rest of the game.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #62
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Clearly Ruth. Best player of All Time.

For the Twins
Killebrew or Mauer would work if you needed a catcher.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #63
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It's Ruth and nobody but Ruth. When he was 37 he had an OPS+ of 201. That wasn't even in his top ten years and was below his career average of 206. There's never been another player so far out in front of the rest of the game.

+1

Dimaggio was a great player and an easy hall of famer, but he's one of the most overrated players to play.

Gehrig was one of the 20 or so greatest players to ever play and still doesn't hold a candle to Ruth.

Last edited by Atocep : 10-21-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #64
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Angels fielder, gotta give it to #4 Bobby Grich. He is one of the all time under rated players in my opinion...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #65
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Ruth at worst was an average fielder, in fact his career fielding percentage was .968 to .978 for DiMaggio and he arguably had a better arm with 50+ more assists. The area DiMaggio is markedly better is range factor 2.71 to 2.04. Given the league fielding average for outfielders when Ruth played was .966, he was far from a liability.

He dwarfs Joe in all offensive categories and stole 100+ more bases. Joe is a top 5 Yankee, but I have to put Ruth #1 easily and also would take Gehrig and a healthy Mantle over him.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #66
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Yep, that's it right there.

And yes, DiMaggio is overrated as well. Mantle was a better player.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #67
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Bill Bryson's new book on the summer of 1927 does an excellent job of explaining how great and unparalleled Ruth was.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #68
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Angels fielder, gotta give it to #4 Bobby Grich. He is one of the all time under rated players in my opinion...

He really is - thought that when CR brought up his name.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #69
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

For the Blue Jays it would be Alomar and Halladay...although a case can be made for Stieb.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #70
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Ted Williams for the Red Sox
Yup. As great as Yaz was for a couple years, and as many years as he played, it's still not even close.

Pitcher's interesting. WAR gives it to Clemens. Cy Young is also right there in most counting stats categories despite only arriving in Boston at age 34 and pitching 8 seasons, and there's an argument to be made for Pedro's utter dominance while he was here. Pedro only pitched 7 seasons, but finished top 4 in CY voting 6 of them (making only 18 starts the 7th). Clemens had a similar stretch of dominance from 86-92, finishing top 3 in CY voting 5 years and 6th another, but then had 4 average seasons to close out his career with the Sox, before leaving and getting in shape/taking steroids and winning 4 CY's the next 7 seasons.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-22-2013 at 03:45 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #71
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Yup. As great as Yaz was for a couple years, and as many years as he played, it's still not even close.

Pitcher's interesting. WAR gives it to Clemens. Cy Young is also right there in most counting stats categories despite only arriving in Boston at age 34 and pitching 8 seasons, and there's an argument to be made for Pedro's utter dominance while he was here. Pedro only pitched 7 seasons, but finished top 4 in CY voting 6 of them (making only 18 starts the 7th). Clemens had a similar stretch of dominance from 86-92, finishing top 3 in CY voting 5 years and 6th another, but then had 4 average seasons to close out his career with the Sox, before leaving and getting in shape/taking steroids and winning 4 CY's the next 7 seasons.

Pedro.

Clemens is a schmuck (as much as it pains me as a kid who idolized him growing up during that 86-92 era).
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #72
JeeberD
General Manager

You combined the Astros and Rangers and went with Pudge? Jeff Bagwell kicks the shit out of Pudge...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #73
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
You combined the Astros and Rangers and went with Pudge? Jeff Bagwell kicks the shit out of Pudge...

This.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #74
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post

No argument here. You should have posted a few days ago though.
I'll get him in the next batch of players.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #75
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
No argument here. You should have posted a few days ago though.
I'll get him in the next batch of players.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote