Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #1201
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Son View Post
Is there any way to limit or eliminate foreign players from appearing in the US leagues? I'm playing fictional with no FBCB imports, and no foreign leagues. Is there maybe an ini setting that can set either the percentage of foreign players created, or the talent level of those that are created, or both? I'm trying to be a bit more reflective of the NBA as I sim through the 50's, 60's and 70's.
Same here. In my latest career doing this I'm going in and manually changing names, hometowns and ages so everyone is from the US and 21 or older (since the NBA didn't start taking early entry guys until the ABA forced their hand in the early '70's).
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #1202
Native Son
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Same here. In my latest career doing this I'm going in and manually changing names, hometowns and ages so everyone is from the US and 21 or older (since the NBA didn't start taking early entry guys until the ABA forced their hand in the early '70's).

Now, THAT is dedication!
Native Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #1203
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Son View Post
Now, THAT is dedication!
Well, I'm only in 1949 right now so the draft pools aren't that big - takes me about 5 minutes.

But yeah, I suppose I'm being a bit OCD
Old 08-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #1204
yeah826
High School JV

If you guys didn't know version 2 of Blasters photo pack is up

Fast Break Basketball Forum • View topic - FBB Player Photos V02

the update changed somethings so the last post of his kinda explains what he added and what you should do add the file to the game.

Last edited by yeah826 : 08-03-2013 at 12:29 PM.
yeah826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #1205
yeah826
High School JV

Also HR I think you made need to put a limiter on Bill Russell Ins he's scoring more that 26 ppg in my 1961 play but in real life he never averaged over 19ppg.

Also in the 2004 season in the historical league Antoine Walker was actually on the Atlanta Hawks not the Boston Celtics in the beginning of the year till about 50 games in.

Last edited by yeah826 : 08-03-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #1206
whomario
Pro Starter

@ Heavy: Thereīs an issue with coaches talent when playing with multiple leagues active. Basically, itīs no problem at all to have the best possible coaching anymore due to tons and tons of high quality coaches available.

Also, some other small things:

- Could we get a real lottery ? I know itīs stupid, but having the slots revealed one by one would add that little bit of immersion.

- would it be possible to access the player cards from the trade screen ?

- would be helpfull to be able to sort by stats on the FA screen
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #1207
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

- would it be possible to access the player cards from the trade screen ?

This would be very helpful.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #1208
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Just wanted to thank HR for the impeccable customer service on his releases.

I don't know if it's improvement in various ways in the game logic, or if I'm just having a tough go, but after a few careers where I found it easy to dominate, in my current career I'm really finding the game a challenge and it feels a lot more realistic in that sense. Frustrating given the level of success I had come to expect, but ultimately more rewarding.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #1209
yeah826
High School JV

Nikola Pekovic on the Minnesota Timberwolves is missing his 2010 stats.

Also you have Darius Miles listed as a Center when he played SF

Last edited by yeah826 : 08-05-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #1210
whomario
Pro Starter

Is Miles a SF in the draft pool ? Because after that the game/CPU doesnīt care. As far as i can tell (and as it was with FBCB) the game plays a guy based on his skillset with height also being considered and when he plays a certain amount of games/minutes there his default position changes.
A guy can start as a PF, switch to SF and on a small ball team be a center.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 08-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #1211
yeah826
High School JV

Miles is getting imported in as a Center which seriously lowers his quickness. I only make these calls before any position changes happen.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #1212
whomario
Pro Starter

A couple big(ish) issues i found while playing a handfull of seasons:

- Is there no restricted Free Agency ? This would add a ton of realism.

- Bird Rights seem wonky on several ocasions. For example, the game just awarded me Bird rights for guys that havenīt been on my roster for a couple season.

- The Draft seems too streamlined. Not enough variety in terms of players falling or rising, not enough outliners in terms of scouting error and/or their draft position relative to their talent.

- Trading seems very strange. CPU Teams never trade for Draft Picks with each other and it seems as if thereīs only trades where each team sends a single player.

- It seems to me, that teams let their first rounders walk a little too often after 2 years. For example i just signed a 23 year old PF in free Agency who didnīt have his option picked up despite putting up 11/5 in 20 minutes for the Jazz. The Hawks let their 6th round pick of 2 years ago walk, a yellow/green guy that averaged 7 PPG for them as a 21 year old.

- It also seems like teams donīt use their MLE much, if at all. I have a couple (2-4) green-green guys sitting in FA each year with reasonable demands and teams donīt use their MLE on them.

Meanwhile, i think stats have gotten real solid and i love the FBB News report. Overall the game is a ton of fun, no doubt about that

After taking over the Mavs in 2014 in full tank mode, i managed to get them back to the playoffs for the first time in 2016. Main reason is a 6ī6 SG with PG skills and a mean stroke from outside. Averaged 19.5 PPG, 7.9 APG and shot 48% from deep on a huge volume (258-538). Played mainly at the SG spot, so at PG he could have propably gotten like 10 APG.

Last edited by whomario : 08-07-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #1213
whomario
Pro Starter

After Durant and the Thunder won 5 championships in 7 years and eliminated my Mavericks 5 seasons in a row, we finally beat the Thunder
To be fair, it was not due to me stopping Durant. Scored 38, 44, 51, 45, 50 and 50 again in game 6. Guy is a freaking machine, thank goodness his teammates stunk it up (also the reason for the Thunder having only a 43-39 season after 7 straight 60+ seasons.

Durants career so far:
Spoiler

Last edited by whomario : 08-12-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #1214
Comey
College Starter

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do a cup competition in a pro/rel league? I would love if we could edit the schedule on the fly, adding in playoff games (a la OOTP). Is this feasible?

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #1215
yeah826
High School JV

I tend to notice players in the historical who may have had a decent fg percentage but did not get to the line very well or shoot threes end up becoming very inefficient in the game. Pooh Richardson for example.
Pooh Richardson NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com
In his Minnesota years he shot a fg percentage around 47% yet on the game he can't get above 36%.

Also I noticed players who may not have had good rookie seasons yet ended up becoming all stars in the sim. Usually when you start the seaon play similar to the level they were at. For example Carlos Boozer his rookie year he scored 10 ppg per36 14 ppg

Carlos Boozer NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

yet on the sim in the year 2002 he is scoring 19 ppg off the bat it makes the Caveliers that year way better than they really were. You notice this with Michael Redd also.

I mean when you draft them they play closer to their natural level when they were rookies but when you start the season with them as rookies they seem better.

Also I notice teams that were known for their defense have a tough time in this game in all honesty usually they are terrible like the 1988 Pistons who won the Finals are like the worst team that year. Even when I edited the their defensive ratings myself to match their real life selfs the team is still horrible.

Has me wondering if a team full of good PSD and PRD can make a good team even if they are not good blockers maybe there should be a bonus if you have multiple good PSD and PRD in the game at the same time.

Finally John Beasley on the DLC Spurs is a PF

Last edited by yeah826 : 08-12-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #1216
Groundhog
Coordinator

Defense is probably the hardest thing to generate ratings from with historical stats, because blocks and steals only tell part of the story.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #1217
Groundhog
Coordinator

I tend to build my teams in FBPB as I would in the real NBA and I've had success - PRD/3 on the wings, a PG with high INS and 3pt, one big who scores a lot, one big who is all D/blocks, and an overall emphasis on guys who don't turn it over. It generally works out pretty well, and I only need 2 max guys - the big and the PG, generally.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #1218
Groundhog
Coordinator

I had a frustrating (yet fun) experience last night - 3 drafts in a row where I busted top-10 picks while in rebuild mode, and this is with a scout rated 10 for future potential (out of 10). All 3 guys dropped from either blue to green, or green to yellow.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #1219
Comey
College Starter

Question regarding FBCB/FBPB draft class alignment...do you have to finish a FBCB season before you play a FBPB season, in order to get those rookies into the game?

Old 08-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #1220
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Question regarding FBCB/FBPB draft class alignment...do you have to finish a FBCB season before you play a FBPB season, in order to get those rookies into the game?

You can import draft files at any time from: Tools \ Current League Editor.

Then select Draft Pool, and you can import from there.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #1221
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
You can import draft files at any time from: Tools \ Current League Editor.

Then select Draft Pool, and you can import from there.

Right...but if you're running two leagues simultaneously (one college, one pro), there is no FBCB file to export and import into FBPB. I guess that's where my hangup is.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #1222
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Right...but if you're running two leagues simultaneously (one college, one pro), there is no FBCB file to export and import into FBPB. I guess that's where my hangup is.

I always stagger a league a year ahead to make sure that I do.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #1223
spleen1015
Coordinator

You're running the 2012-2013 year for your college and pro leagues at the same time. When you are done, you generate the file from the college game and import it into the pro game at the appropriate time.

Is there an issue in there some where I don't know about, Comey?
Old 08-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #1224
yeah826
High School JV

Byron Mullens is missing his 2009 season stats so he is not appearing in the 2009 draft.

I notice you have B.J. Mullens in the 2009 draft but he disapears after the 2009 season on OKC. Yet Byron Mullens is on OKC in 2010 looks like they were meant to be one and the same.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #1225
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, here's where I am.

HAPPY CUSTOMER - got my money's worth, like the game, love the support

HATE THE NBA - game is so-so, but the finances and so forth are unbelievably stupid, and I try to keep that in mind when this game more or less simulates a terrible system pretty well

IN A RUT - I started a second career, took over a bad NBA team, quickly shed bad contracts, and just by making pretty obvious contract moves (not even any serious player trades) my team win a title in 2018 -- all while handing my depth chart and gameplan over to staff

So, I'm not sure what my ongoing motivation is. First I locked up my quality veterans and filled the cap space I had to use. Then, I moved around in the draft to get two early picks (1.1 and 1.3) and landed studs with them both. Now they carry on a max contract guys, I'm a ton over the cap, and I'm basically locked in with nothing much to do. In the next few seasons, I likely win somewhere between 50-65 games, get #1-4 seed, and get whatever I get in the playoffs. *shurg*

I don't think I want to play this game with self-imposed house rules. So, do I just fire things up and start over with another bad team, play out 4-8 seasons, and quit? Dunno.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #1226
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
So, here's where I am.

HAPPY CUSTOMER - got my money's worth, like the game, love the support

HATE THE NBA - game is so-so, but the finances and so forth are unbelievably stupid, and I try to keep that in mind when this game more or less simulates a terrible system pretty well

IN A RUT - I started a second career, took over a bad NBA team, quickly shed bad contracts, and just by making pretty obvious contract moves (not even any serious player trades) my team win a title in 2018 -- all while handing my depth chart and gameplan over to staff

So, I'm not sure what my ongoing motivation is. First I locked up my quality veterans and filled the cap space I had to use. Then, I moved around in the draft to get two early picks (1.1 and 1.3) and landed studs with them both. Now they carry on a max contract guys, I'm a ton over the cap, and I'm basically locked in with nothing much to do. In the next few seasons, I likely win somewhere between 50-65 games, get #1-4 seed, and get whatever I get in the playoffs. *shurg*

I don't think I want to play this game with self-imposed house rules. So, do I just fire things up and start over with another bad team, play out 4-8 seasons, and quit? Dunno.

Why not scrap the NBA finances and create your own league. You can use the NBA base if you don't feel like creating teams. Set a hard cap. I don't know exactly how competative the AI controlled teams will be in that environment, but worth a shot maybe.

What are your trade settings at? It should be pretty difficult to trade into 1.1 and 1.3 if you are on the higher(est) difficulty settings. Were those picks in the same draft? Do you have firing on? That at least gives you a time frame to work in. I do agree that the basic strategy is to shed contracst, get a couple high picks in the same draft or consecutive ones. If the picks pan out, you are good, if not, then it does create more of a challenge.

Finally, don't always start with a bad team. Get a team that is borderline playoff with cap issues and an impatient owner. That is a tougher challenge.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 08-27-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #1227
QuikSand
lolzcat

It seems like trading for future first rounders from teams who look to be loaded with pingpong balls is a winning play -- too much so.

Any time my team is picking at slot #10 or lower, I am 100% dealing away that pick and looking for future considerations. Seeing on the other team's inventory a nice color code indicating how much they value their unprotected future 1st round picks is a great tool (too powerful).

I immediately shed every 2nd round pick also, of course. The fact that they have zero (negative) value to me, but are seen as nice sweeteners to the AI teams is a bad sign.

I'm a smart guy overall, but I really don't know jack about basketball. I'm not beating the game with deep strategy. I just load up with good-looking players at what seem like worthwhile contracts. That has been more than enough to beat this game, thus far.

I may explore the sort of alternatives you mention, Marmel... I'm not wild about constructing challenge scenarios to have fun, but maybe that's the way to go. The "impatient owner" might be harder, but it sounds like a terribly un-fun time, to me. But any NBA scenario sounds un-fun to me, so maybe I'm wrong.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #1228
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Finally, don't always start with a bad team. Get a team that is borderline playoff with cap issues and an impatient owner. That is a tougher challenge.

In Zach Lowe's recent Grantland piece, that's essentially how he describes the Blazers/Pacers/Rockets recent strategies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Lowe
This is NBA team-building as a game of Twister: take a mediocre team and make it great without becoming bad enough to land at the top of the draft or clogging your long-term cap sheet with overpaid veterans. The Rockets and Pacers have pulled it off to varying degrees, and the Blazers are in the thick of it now — with a roster competitive enough to satisfy the "never rebuild" edict of Paul Allen, the team's über-rich owner, but also one with an asset-rich young core and potential max-level cap room in the summer of 2015.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #1229
yeah826
High School JV

I remember HR mentioning something about a Coaches Update and I was wondering how that was going.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #1230
yeah826
High School JV

Fast Break Basketball Forum • View topic - FBB Player Photos V03

Version 3 of updated player photo pack is up enjoy!(Not my work that belongs to Blaster)
Old 09-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #1231
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah826 View Post
I remember HR mentioning something about a Coaches Update and I was wondering how that was going.

+1
Old 09-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #1232
bryce
High School Varsity

Every time I see this thread appear back near the top, I hope to see an update with a filter player feature added (search via filters / parameters)...
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #1233
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

The basic order of things will be something like this:

1) Update 3.0.22: Collection of small fixes
2) New roster and draft files for the upcoming season
3) Move on to staff update.

Since early August things have slowed down while I took some time to play through some of my backlog of games and also started working full time again. Updates will still be on the way just at a slower pace. The smaller patch should be posted in the next few days. Roster files should be before the start of the season. Obviously a huge thanks for the continued feedback. I'll be looking to address some of the issues raised by Quiksand in the upcoming patches as well.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #1234
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

HR, just wanted to throw this article into the arena:
Kirk Goldsberry introduces a new way to understand the NBA's best scorers - Grantland
What are your thoughts on including something like this, maybe not the visual portion but the shot score or something similar? It's a really interesting way to better understand the quality of shooters.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #1235
korme
Go Reds

Amazing the things Kirk Goldsberry is doing
Old 10-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #1236
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

So.....any time frame on updated rosters for the new season?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 11-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #1237
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

bump?

Old 11-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #1238
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

It is really amazing how good this game is. Taking a historic database and churning out accurate stats in the NBA must have been some feat.

Baseball is just a lot of numbers that translate decently throughout the years. Basketball on the other hand.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #1239
yeah826
High School JV

Update (3.0.22) - Grey Dog Software

Heres the link to the new update if you guys didn't know
Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #1240
FBPro
College Starter

Do you know if he included a roster update?
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #1241
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

I'm still working on tweaking things but here is the current version of the 2013 file:

http://www.fbbgames.com/USA2013-Pre.zip

My schedule opens back up next week so we should start seeing more progress again soon.

Last edited by HeavyReign : 11-12-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #1242
Capital
High School Varsity

Thanks for the update HR...are you also planning on taking another look at the trade logic based on some of the info near the end of this thread?
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #1243
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
I'm still working on tweaking things but here is the current version of the 2013 file:

My schedule opens back up next week so we should start seeing more progress again soon.

Where do I put this file if I may ask?
Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #1244
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Best I can tell:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\GDS\Fast Break Pro Basketball 3\PlayerFiles

Edited to add: Yup. Started a test league and you just have to choose player source as usa2013-pre on the 2nd setup screen in the upper right hand side.

Thanks HR!

Last edited by Marmel : 11-13-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #1245
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

And there is a partial real life draft class for the 2014 draft in there. Very cool!

Old 11-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #1246
FBPro
College Starter

Thanks!!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #1247
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Yeah one suggestion I would have because I love doing random debut leagues is maybe having an option to randomize 3p ratings for players that played before the 3p era?
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #1248
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Roster file updated with a more complete draft class and some other tweaks.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #1249
korme
Go Reds

Has anyone figured out a good foreign salary cap % compared to the NBA to make it realistic, as in no NBA player will go over there unless he's absolutely not wanted in the NBA, and only 1-5 guys make the leap over to the NBA every year.

Last edited by korme : 11-21-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #1250
korme
Go Reds

Also, anxiously awaiting the coach update, HR

Keep up the great work on the great game.