Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #51
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

I haven't seen the show in years, but noticed it available on HBO on Demand... Oz!

Damn, I forgot how good this show was. Between this, The Wire and The Sopranos... Amazing stuff.

MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #52
Suicane75
Coordinator

NYPD Blue sort of fizzled out during the Schroeder/Zach years but up until Jimmy Smitts died it was such an awesome show. Shame that Franz really hasn't done much since it went off the air because he's a really amazing actor. Hell, even the Schroeder seasons are good unless you're watching them in retrospect with knowledge of how bad they screwed up his demise.
Suicane75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #53
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'm going to go with Oz, it was great from start to finish, no horrible down times like the Sopranos, and watching the occasional re-run now 7-8 years later I still love the show, its the only drama where I go back and watch old episodes and enjoy re-watching.

2007 me was so naive. I watch too much TV and enjoy this kind of stuff too much, so here's my list as of now:

1) The Wire
2) Breaking Bad
3) The Sopranos
4) Mad Men
5) The Shield
6) Oz

IMO there is a small gap between 1/2 and 3/4 (the sopranos at its best was as good as anything, but just did too many episodes that completely whiffed), and then a pretty big gap after Mad Men. The Shield and Oz are "tier 2" with the top 4 belonging together in Tier 1. ER is probably a tier 2 show also, and assuming they don't fuck up horribly, Justified and Game of Thrones likely end up there for me as well when they're done.

These are only including shows i've seen.

Last edited by Radii : 12-12-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #54
Butter
Coordinator

I'm like early into Season 3 on The Wire. I fought to get through Season 2, but even so I find it hard to believe it's going to reach Breaking Bad territory unless Seasons 4 and 5 are the best thing evar.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #55
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I need to see The Wire, and Breaking Bad. They're both on my to-do list.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #56
kidwithhelmet
n00b

Boardwalk Empire is currently the best series on TV.
kidwithhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #57
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwithhelmet View Post
Boardwalk Empire is currently the best series on TV.

I haven't seen this, its high on my list to catch up on for sure.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #58
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Btw... No one noticed the 6+ Year Bump on this one?
Old 12-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #59
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The first 4 seasons of Dexter area favorite. Went way downhill after that.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #60
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I like Boardwalk Empire and some other shows but for me it is still going to have to be The Wire.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #61
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I'm like early into Season 3 on The Wire. I fought to get through Season 2, but even so I find it hard to believe it's going to reach Breaking Bad territory unless Seasons 4 and 5 are the best thing evar.

I consider S4 of The Wire to be the best season of television evar ... so, there is that.

But if you don't already at least have it in your "team photo" for best shows, I'm guessing it won't be displacing Breaking Bad for your list.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #62
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Lots to choose from and depend on how old school you wanna get

1) ER
2) The West Wing
3) 24
4) The Wire
5) Star Trek TNG

Honorable Mentions
Dallas, Star Trek DS9, Hill Street Blues
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #63
Bobble
College Prospect

The Simpsons ... but you really have to watch all 25 seasons to "get" it.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #64
Groundhog
Coordinator

Haven't seen The Wire but I keep meaning to try it. I think it would take a lot for a show to beat out Breaking Bad on my list.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #65
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I envy you. You are about to be treated to the three best seasons of the best show ever.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #66
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Old 12-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #67
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The first 4 seasons of Dexter area favorite. Went way downhill after that.

They could have ended it after the John Lithgow season and it could have been seen as one of the best shows. They dragged it out waaaaay too long after that and you could tell they had no idea how to end it.

Breaking Bad, on the other hand, is easily one of the best ever.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #68
Izulde
Head Coach

....I so don't remember starting this thread.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #69
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I envy you. You are about to be treated to the three best seasons of the best show ever.
Well, the 2 best.
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
They could have ended it after the John Lithgow season and it could have been seen as one of the best shows. They dragged it out waaaaay too long after that and you could tell they had no idea how to end it.
spoilers for both this and Homeland
Spoiler
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #70
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Sherlock (but probably mainly because I'm waiting impatiently for it to return)
House of Cards (original UK version)
Dr Who (arguably more sci-fi than drama, but counts in my eyes)
Brass Eye (UK spoof satire news show - very dark humour in it at times, bit like 'The Onion', also rather 'edgy' topics in places be warned)

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 12-14-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #71
Edward64
Head Coach

In no particular order

1) West Wing
2) Battlestar Galattica (new)
3) Walking Dead
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #72
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Checking out The Wire from the beginning for the first time in a while.. Lovely!
Old 01-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #73
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I just finished watching Breaking Bad a couple weeks ago, and I am currently at Season 1, episode 6 of The Wire.

Breaking Bad is easily the #1 show of all time on my list and it is not even close.

I started watching the Wire due to all the praise it gets on this board and I have to say....I don't see it yet. It is good, but not particularly noteworthy yet, although like I said it is only 6 episodes so far. Contrasting this to Br Bad, which I watched from start to finish in about a 5 week marathon, that show was great from episode 1 and by episode 6 (or precisely because of episode 6) I was hooked in good.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #74
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Breaking Bad is a perfectly executed pulp novel. The Wire is actually about SOMETHING, not just a story.

Very different shows both excellent.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #75
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
Breaking Bad is a perfectly executed pulp novel. The Wire is actually about SOMETHING, not just a story.

Very different shows both excellent.

I agree with all of this. I loved both shows, but they are very different.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #76
Subby
lolzcat

You can binge watch Breaking Bad, but I don't think you can do that with The Wire. I can't really explain why.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:54 AM   #77
Logan
Head Coach

I feel like I can never respond to these types of posts without sounding like a obnoxious prick. RD3 said it as best as possible and in such few words, and Subby hit it too.

There's a reason David Chase went on that rant a year or so ago against the concept of binge-watching. It absolutely changes the viewing experience. And The Wire is a show where you need to spend some time just thinking about it (obnoxious me on display here) instead of just hitting "next" repeatedly on your device of choice.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #78
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
You can binge watch Breaking Bad, but I don't think you can do that with The Wire. I can't really explain why.

You can't really binge watch The Wire. Well, I guess you can, but it's not as pleasurable an experience and it's too draining. Also, you tend to miss a lot of the nuances if you watch too many episodes too quickly. The show is best when you have time to digest everything that happened, think it over and then move on to the next episode.

When my wife and I were watching it (we started after the show was over), the most we could "binge watch" was about 3 episodes an evening. Even then, we felt like we were doing the show, and ourselves, a disservice by doing so.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #79
ColtCrazy
College Starter

This is a thread I could have sworn I made a comment about earlier.

My list would be:

1. Sherlock - just a well-written, superb show.
2. Law & Order - The original series
3. M.A.S.H. - I know it's a comedy, but I always viewed it as a comedy-drama
4. Dr. Who - classic & new
5. The Blacklist
6. Downton Abbey
7. Criminal Minds
8. Castle
9. Batman the Animated Series (Cartoon-drama!)
10. Dexter
Honorable Mention: ER

I'm just now watching Dexter so it may climb. I need to give Breaking Bad another shot. Couldn't get into it the first time. Haven't seen The Wire. Apparently I need to. Bought Game of Thrones and need to watch it as well.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #80
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

That is the shittiest top 10 list I have ever seen in my entire existence
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #81
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
I just finished watching Breaking Bad a couple weeks ago, and I am currently at Season 1, episode 6 of The Wire.

Breaking Bad is easily the #1 show of all time on my list and it is not even close.

I started watching the Wire due to all the praise it gets on this board and I have to say....I don't see it yet. It is good, but not particularly noteworthy yet, although like I said it is only 6 episodes so far. Contrasting this to Br Bad, which I watched from start to finish in about a 5 week marathon, that show was great from episode 1 and by episode 6 (or precisely because of episode 6) I was hooked in good.

I'm not sure season 1 is the pinnacle of this show. Seasons 3 and 4 are probably the best and season 2 is outstanding but completely different than 1,2,4,& 5. I feel like if you think its good you will be hooked by the end of season 1. It is people who say they don't get it or don't like it that I would advise to not bother.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #82
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I'm not sure season 1 is the pinnacle of this show. Seasons 3 and 4 are probably the best and season 2 is outstanding but completely different than 1,2,4,& 5. I feel like if you think its good you will be hooked by the end of season 1. It is people who say they don't get it or don't like it that I would advise to not bother.

Just based on the universal praise, I'll give it a few seasons at a minimum I'm sure. Its not like I don't like it...I do...I was just expecting a lot more right off the bat.

I do tend to binge watch shows and usually never watch a show until it has concluded on TV. Perhaps, I take it slower with the Wire and mix in Mad Men, which I have been looking forward to checking out. I watched the first episode and it has me intrigued at least.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #83
kcchief19
Pro Starter

You want to get a glimpse of the greatness of The West Wing, check out some of the Twitter mentions (especially @sorkinese) during the Golden Globes last night. Amazing the amount of talent on that show.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #84
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The problem is that its a tale of 2 series between the Sorkin seasons 1-4 and the non-Sorkin 5-8

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #85
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

That is the beauty of TV, different strokes for different folks. Of course there are always condescending pricks out there willing to be critical of what others like...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #86
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

WWE Raw
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 PM   #87
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

I feel the exact opposite. When I watched the Wire, I binged on the first few seasons, and then binged on each season as it came out on DVD (didn't have HBO back then). I loved it, and I continue to binge watch the full series a few times a year.

I had to take a break from Breaking Bad every once in awhile. The plot devises got a bit too repetitive for me as I binged on it (I can't elaborate on that more without giving spoilers.) In fact, looking back on The Shield, had I binged watched that, I think the same would have happened there.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #88
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The problem is that its a tale of 2 series between the Sorkin seasons 1-4 and the non-Sorkin 5-8

SI

I think 1-4 are definitely the pinnacle, but the only real problem is 5. 6-7 are pretty solid IMO.

If you find season 8, please let me know. I would love to watch it!

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:44 AM   #89
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

I watched this series starting in the summer and finished it over Christmas. People are WAY too harsh on seasons 6 and 7. If that was a regular show without the previous seasons, people would have loved the show. Season 5 is a train wreck -- the rest of the show is phenomenal.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:54 AM   #90
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I think 1-4 are definitely the pinnacle, but the only real problem is 5. 6-7 are pretty solid IMO.

If you find season 8, please let me know. I would love to watch it!

Hah! Whoops- not sure why I had 8 instead of 7 but you get the idea.

It's been a couple of years since I've seen it but I remember I felt relief when I got to the 7th season and just kindof plowing through to the finish. It seemed like the election was a good lighter gimmick to finish off on but it also felt a little like another show.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #91
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

Then we should be thankful we aren't friends that watch TV together.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:08 AM   #92
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
That is the beauty of TV, different strokes for different folks. Of course there are always condescending pricks out there willing to be critical of what others like...