Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Auction Draft Question For You Folks

Hey, everyone, I just got into a stupid argument with an old friend over the rules for the auction league we're in (of which he is the commissioner, and I have only just been in for a couple years).

The argument related to the auction values we used in our keeper rules. This is a H2H $280 total value auction for 28 players, and we start C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3 OF, 2 UTIL for hitters and 3 SP, 1 RP, and 3 P (generic) spots for pitchers.

Our keeper rules are we get to pick 8 players to keep. The value of these players is based on an auction valuation sheet by ESPN that was generated at the start of the last season (the 2013 season).

I was always curious about this, why we used a valuation sheet from the start of last season, so that our player valuations didn't take into consideration 2013 values. For instance, Mike Trout was still valued at $1 last spring because his valuation last year was based on the start of 2012, when he only had the 2011 September call up on his resume. So my brother (also in the league and owner of Trout) got to keep Trout for $1 after perhaps the best rookie season ever. Trout is now worth $43 (30s and 40s being the general level for elite players).

This year's best "curiosity" was Chris Davis. He is valued at $7, although he is coming off of a 50 HR season. That $7 is based on his 2012 season when he hit around 25-30 HRs and had a mediocre average. Puig is $1. Harvey is $1 (and hurt of course, but point is, outside of injury, he should have a higher value).

It seems to me there has to be a valuation sheet out there that takes into account 2013 performance. Heck, my fantasy baseball mags will often slap an "auction value" on a player.

So I questioned my friend about this and his response was "that's how auction leagues do it."

I don't know if it would surprise y'all that I didn't accept that response and that precipitated the argument lol.

My question is, is he right? Is that the way auction value leagues do it? They go back a whole year and ignore the most recent stats to set the values of their players? Or is the league I am in sort of an oddball league?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hey, everyone, I just got into a stupid argument with an old friend over the rules for the auction league we're in (of which he is the commissioner, and I have only just been in for a couple years).

The argument related to the auction values we used in our keeper rules. This is a H2H $280 total value auction for 28 players, and we start C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3 OF, 2 UTIL for hitters and 3 SP, 1 RP, and 3 P (generic) spots for pitchers.

Our keeper rules are we get to pick 8 players to keep. The value of these players is based on an auction valuation sheet by ESPN that was generated at the start of the last season (the 2013 season).

I was always curious about this, why we used a valuation sheet from the start of last season, so that our player valuations didn't take into consideration 2013 values. For instance, Mike Trout was still valued at $1 last spring because his valuation last year was based on the start of 2012, when he only had the 2011 September call up on his resume. So my brother (also in the league and owner of Trout) got to keep Trout for $1 after perhaps the best rookie season ever. Trout is now worth $43 (30s and 40s being the general level for elite players).

This year's best "curiosity" was Chris Davis. He is valued at $7, although he is coming off of a 50 HR season. That $7 is based on his 2012 season when he hit around 25-30 HRs and had a mediocre average. Puig is $1. Harvey is $1 (and hurt of course, but point is, outside of injury, he should have a higher value).

It seems to me there has to be a valuation sheet out there that takes into account 2013 performance. Heck, my fantasy baseball mags will often slap an "auction value" on a player.

So I questioned my friend about this and his response was "that's how auction leagues do it."

I don't know if it would surprise y'all that I didn't accept that response and that precipitated the argument lol.

My question is, is he right? Is that the way auction value leagues do it? They go back a whole year and ignore the most recent stats to set the values of their players? Or is the league I am in sort of an oddball league?

I've never heard of that being used as a players value. It was always based on whatever the player went for in the previous years auction. Now in your example somebody may have gotten Chris Davis at last years draft for cheap but that is one of the rewards of a good auction. If a player wasn't bid on in any league I have ever been in you can't keep them.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #3
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I've never heard of that being used as a players value. It was always based on whatever the player went for in the previous years auction. Now in your example somebody may have gotten Chris Davis at last years draft for cheap but that is one of the rewards of a good auction. If a player wasn't bid on in any league I have ever been in you can't keep them.

Agreed. I've been in leagues (baseball and football) where you get them at the prior year's auction price, plus a premium (usually $5) which helps account some for the massive steals that people can get year for year.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote