D 2 8.70%
F 2 8.70%
N/A 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Rate your parents as grandparents

I was reflecting on my grandparents the other day and tbh I guess I didn't feel as much as I felt like I should have. They seemed like they were pretty aloof and some of it probably was because there were a lot of grandchildren to go around. What brings it full circle is my mom commented one time about how she didn't think that her parents were very interested in building any sort of relationships with the grandkids and I guess I felt that way looking back at it now. They've been dead for several years.

Anyways, many of us have kids, how do you you think your parents are doing as grandparents?

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My parents and In Laws are fantastic Grandparents. As I type this I am in London visiting my new niece and my In Laws are with my kids in Ohio. They go out of their way to visit and see my kids, all came out for both my kids births, and Skype regularly. They all make an amazing effort considering we live far away. I couldn't be luckier.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
PilotMan
Head Coach

My parents are divorced. My mom gets a B for being close to us and being willing to be a part of their lives, being here for holidays and helping when we need it. She doesn't have a super close relationship with the kids though.

She get's docked for playing favorites and talking about my wife and I behind our backs to the kids.

My Dad gets a D-. I could go on and on and on. At least he sends birthday and Christmas cards.

My wife's family is mostly estranged, but even at best it's a D-.

I scored a C overall just for mine.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

B for my mom. D for my dad.
A for my inlaws despite being a three hour flight away.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
BillJasper
Pro Starter

My Mom has been dead for thirty-plus years and my Dad has seen each one of my kids once. Pretty sad actually. My kids are actually doing very well in life and yet he seems content to focus on my fucked up sister and her fucked up kids.

I think I'm an unpleasant reminder to him of my Mom.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
My parents are divorced. My mom gets a B for being close to us and being willing to be a part of their lives, being here for holidays and helping when we need it. She doesn't have a super close relationship with the kids though.

She get's docked for playing favorites and talking about my wife and I behind our backs to the kids.

My Dad gets a D-. I could go on and on and on. At least he sends birthday and Christmas cards.

My wife's family is mostly estranged, but even at best it's a D-.

I scored a C overall just for mine.

I gave them an A until I remembered my dad has basically been Mia
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

My parents felt strongly when we were growing up that we should know their parents so we visited them frequently even though they were a six hour drive away and they very rarely visited us.

Even though we're pretty far away, they have a great relationship with our kids and the feeling is mutual. They spoil the kids in the traditional manner but they also spend a lot of time with them when we're together.

Wife's parents are in town. They also have a great relationship with the kids.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
cougarfreak
College Starter

My mom's been dead for 22 years. My dad married a bitch he started dating 3 months after she died. He could give a shit less about my kids. Gets an F.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

My mother is the only of the possible grand parents that is alive. I will skip rating her out of respect as it's really between her and my daughters for how they believe she is as a grand mother.

As for my grand parents, that was a royal mess of a situation so she can't be any worse than that.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #10
ColtCrazy
College Starter

My dad has really stepped up with my four. He takes them places, gives them experiences, and is willing to watch them. He may actually do too much…which i think is his way of going overboard. His dad abandoned the family when my dad was just 2. I was the only child and dad struggled in relating to me. He gets an A. My mom would get a C as she's too much like the out of touch grandma. My wife's parents would get a B-, but they are strapped by the fact they are raising my wife's fucked up sister's kids. I'll grade a B overall.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #11
Logan
Head Coach

No kids here yet, but my in laws are amazing grandparents to their 5 grandkids. They probably actually help too much and their kids take advantage of it a bit, but they wouldn't have it any other way.

My parents think they're better grandparents than they actually are.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #12
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

My parents are divorced - neither is really interactive with my kids, although my mom does try and post on Facebook sporadically and send presents for birthdays (most of the time).

That being said we're on another continent now to them both and its 7 years plus since they've seen them.

My wife's parents are also divorced - her mom has no contact with any of our family (including my wife) but her dad is pretty good - we see him and his new wife at least once a month and he's been brave enough to watch all three of our kids a couple of times when we've gone out of town.

My parents I'd give a 'D' to, my wife's mom I'd give an 'F' and her dad I'd give an A.

PS - I was lucky growing up my Nan (moms mom) was literally a few doors down from us and I grew up with a close relationship with her, to the extent that I credit her helping me revise for exams as the reason I made it to university ....
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:29 AM   #13
Blackadar
Retired

Without getting into too much detail, my parents weren't all that great as parents (especially Dad). However, they get an A++++ as grandparents. They're fantastic, involved without being overbearing, love the kids equally, are there for every event and just are great all around. Their actions as grandparents have actually helped heal a lot of the wounds caused by their actions as parents.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote