Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #13051
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
That's pretty sweet.

If you like it or want to gift it, that guy had something similar for many teams across sports.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #13052
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I saw this guy that did baseball card mosaics on there. Basically cutting up cards to form something similar to that photo.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #13053
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Idle observation: when you're a U.S. based broadcasting chain & you decide to send all of your invoicing off-site to a central location, sending it to INDIA is probably not the most efficient decision you could have made ‪#‎PennywisePoundfoolish‬
Old 05-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #13054
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Comments on internet news articles are the modern day equivalent of graffiti in a bathroom stall.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #13055
Suicane75
Coordinator

bathroom stall graffiti is infinitely more interesting.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #13056
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Need to find $5 more of stuff to order from Amazon so I can get free shipping for this book. Hmm.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #13057
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Need to find $5 more of stuff to order from Amazon so I can get free shipping for this book. Hmm.

That's pretty much the reason we ended up signing up for Prime. I would keep spending extra money on shit I didn't need...eventually it pays for itself.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #13058
Suicane75
Coordinator

I have a jar of Nutella I'll never eat for that very reason.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #13059
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
That's pretty much the reason we ended up signing up for Prime. I would keep spending extra money on shit I didn't need...eventually it pays for itself.

Yeah - I really rarely order stuff from there though. I'm sure I can find some tea or some energy bars that I'll actually need.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #13060
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The college I'm working on my degree at is set to name Jim Tressel president. Sigh.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #13061
molson
General Manager

Just started reading A Game of Thrones, I'm about 10 chapters in. I haven't watched any of the HBO series, but it's been kind of tantalizing seeing all these threads pop up (including the thread about the books, which has gotten a ton of activity recently, for some reason). I have no idea what's going on there and I feel a bit left out, but I am really loving what I'm reading so far.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #13062
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

"Well that certainly illustrates the diversity of the word"
Old 05-10-2014, 11:12 PM   #13063
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
(including the thread about the books, which has gotten a ton of activity recently, for some reason). I have no idea what's going on there and I feel a bit left out, but I am really loving what I'm reading so far.

The thread about the books is mostly discussion of things that happen in the show entirely from the perspective of those who have read all the books, so lots of comparison about how things differ between the show and the books, and a lot of "I can't wait to see how they handle this thing from the books that was awesome" etc. I didn't venture in there at all until I had read all 5 books just to be safe.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:14 AM   #13064
Blackadar
Retired

The Brit Floyd concert last night was fucking AWESOME. Anyone who is a Pink Floyd fan should immediately go get tickets.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #13065
rowech
Pro Starter

Mother's Day is the worst day of the year when married to someone who cannot have children. I hate this day with a passion.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #13066
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Mother's Day is the worst day of the year when married to someone who cannot have children. I hate this day with a passion.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:19 AM   #13067
frnk55
High School Varsity

Blind Faith's only album is a masterpiece.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #13068
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

I'm sorry

And I hate this day as well.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #13069
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
The Brit Floyd concert last night was fucking AWESOME. Anyone who is a Pink Floyd fan should immediately go get tickets.

Are laser holograms involved.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #13070
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

nothing more annoying than captcha that is too difficult for a human to use.

for the life of me i can't get it right at the ootp forum:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar....php?do=lostpw
Old 05-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #13071
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
nothing more annoying than captcha that is too difficult for a human to use.

for the life of me i can't get it right at the ootp forum:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar....php?do=lostpw

I hate those. Massive turnoffs...I find myself bothering with them less and less. Like if I can't get it on the first one because the letters are too obscured I just do without the site.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #13072
stevew
Hall Of Famer

OOTP forums are the devil.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #13073
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So now that I've finally healed from the exploding toilet slicing my thumb open a few weeks back, tonight I maul the other hand changing the blade on a miter saw. The socket slipped off of the blade, and I scraped the skin off of two knuckles on the table below. At least this time I didn't have to use super glue to stop the bleeding.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #13074
sabotai
General Manager

Bit the inside of my lip in the same spot for the 4th time today. I officially give up on today.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #13075
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I didn't listen to the podcast (linked with the article) itself, but reading the quotes in Ice-T's voice was some funny shit.

Ice-T recorded a Dungeons & Dragons audiobook | Consequence of Sound

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-14-2014 at 04:16 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #13076
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Love the new job..

Start out on a new team with my first week being off. Getting called today to fill in for a new part of the company on something I have never done before.

Get to work Sat / Sun in Atlanta...fly out tomorrow, fly back home Sunday night, still make more in 2 days than I do in 2 weeks at my old job.

Love it.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #13077
Suicane75
Coordinator

They're making a Corner Gas movie and I'm so happy, so very happy, so very happy, I'm doing a happy dance, I'm dancing happy, so very happy.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #13078
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Ugh, was forced to buy a car today.

My Altima rusted out so bad the right front passenger side fell out..I mean, fell out of the bottom of the car.

Scary thing is, Dealership gave me $2000 as a trade in for it.

Positive: I have never owned a car this new.

Negative: I am back in debt, which I hate with a passion.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #13079
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I had a car like that once. We riveted it back together.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #13080
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

As if you needed proof that I'm a northerner, this story just amazes me. Allen High School football stadium to close in fall, deemed unsafe - ESPN Dallas

A 60 MILLION dollar HIGH SCHOOL football stadium!?!? Really? HIGH SCHOOL?!

I mean, I know high school football is big, particularly in the south (heck, even pee wee is big in the south from what I can tell), but 60 MILLION DOLLARS FOR A HIGH SCHOOL STADIUM?!!?!

Then again, I'm baffled (and moderately annoyed) that the schools here where I live have as many sports as they do, about twice the # of sports that my high school had. My area had a lot of club teams/sports opportunities. And plenty of my graduating class had collegiate sports opportunities, even if the high school didn't have the sport (such as swimming or gymnastics).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #13081
chesapeake
College Starter

I saw that story. How does that investment possibly pencil out? 18,000 seats in a HS stadium, but only 5 home games last season. Even if they get a couple of playoff games at home in a typical year, this seems absolutely nuts -- even for Texas.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #13082
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
I saw that story. How does that investment possibly pencil out? 18,000 seats in a HS stadium, but only 5 home games last season. Even if they get a couple of playoff games at home in a typical year, this seems absolutely nuts -- even for Texas.

18,000 fans. $40 for a season ticket.

It pays for itself in 83 years. What's the big deal?

Plus, they needed to spend the money so they weren't dead last in the nation in spending per student. That $60m helped pull them all the way up to 49th!

Last edited by Blackadar : 05-21-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #13083
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post

The original plan, IIRC, was for a steady diet of community & area events to be held there. It was well beyond just the few home games a year.

It was really part of a broader strategy that, however snarkily, Forbes explained in an article a couple of years ago.

It boils down to imaging, probably, as much as anything.

edit to add: Similar to how the same town built a $52 million dollar 7,500 seat arena previously.

double edit to add: Here's the original ESPN article on the stadium. The district spokesman quote in particular relevant here "Our intention is not to recoup the money it cost to build the stadium," Carroll said. "It's not practical to say we'll get that money back. (But) the revenue we receive from the stadium will far exceed the cost of operating it."

Let's also keep in mind, this was taxpayer approved, the biggest piece of a larger bond referendum. In effect, it's their money.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-21-2014 at 12:07 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #13084
Blackadar
Retired

Why is it that the folks who seem to think the Government can't do anything right are the same ones who are the biggest advocates of the death penalty?
Old 05-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #13085
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Why is it that the folks who seem to think the Government can't do anything right are the same ones who are the biggest advocates of the death penalty?

For starters, if we'd streamline the appeals process & speed things up, it'd be a good bit cheaper than housing them forever.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:04 AM   #13086
Izulde
Head Coach

Had a girl I've known since I was 19 tell me today everything gangster reminds her of me.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:30 AM   #13087
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Completed Grad School, Thanks Virginia Tech for making it fun.

Now it's time to find something better in the job market....
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #13088
PilotMan
Head Coach

Congrats!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #13089
molson
General Manager

Anybody ever been to belgrade or the balkans generally? I`m here on vacation and it's pretty great, i will go through montenegro and Croatia before it's all over. Very cheap, very friendly, great food, great booze (rakija), tons of history. And I realized today that even though I only know 2 words of serbian, that doesn't necessarily peg me as a stupid American, because nobody speaks serbian, so most foreign Europeans are also getting by with English. Which makes me feel better somehow. No sign of the floods except that the Danube river party boats are closed because the docks to reach them are underwater, and there's no music in the bars per the third day of national mourning.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #13090
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Trying to sort out a bank error (one that was definitely NOT in my favor) during a banking holiday period is a rather unpleasant frustrating experience. #FML
Old 05-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #13091
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Mildly interesting that the mass murder in Santa Barbara hasn't seemed to warrant so much as a mention here so far.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #13092
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Or the 5 shootings at "black bike week" in Myrtle Beach yesterday
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #13093
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Or the 5 shootings at "black bike week" in Myrtle Beach yesterday

Have to confess I hadn't seen/heard anything about that one myself. Not even an overnight headline.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #13094
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Mildly interesting that the mass murder in Santa Barbara hasn't seemed to warrant so much as a mention here so far.

I thought about posting about it. It's gotten a fair amount of play on my FB newsfeed (probably due to having a lot of feminist friends and this is the kind of story they jump on to angrily decry patriarchy), but what's even more interesting is all the r/theredpill references it's generated. Interesting subreddit group there, with some pieces/ideas worth discussing that unfortunately get washed out in the gnashing of teeth by and extremist viewpoints of bitter, angry, broken men who seem straight out of Fight Club in many respects.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #13095
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I thought about posting about it. It's gotten a fair amount of play on my FB newsfeed (probably due to having a lot of feminist friends and this is the kind of story they jump on to angrily decry patriarchy), but what's even more interesting is all the r/theredpill references it's generated. Interesting subreddit group there, with some pieces/ideas worth discussing that unfortunately get washed out in the gnashing of teeth by and extremist viewpoints of bitter, angry, broken men who seem straight out of Fight Club in many respects.

The only difference I've seen in his thoughts (what I've seen excerpted) about various bits of rejection & the typical 18-24 male is what he chose for a response.

The point I'm trying to make -- however poorly I'm phrasing it -- is that he really doesn't seem the least bit out of the ordinary until he starts making a plan for violence & then acts it out.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #13096
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The only difference I've seen in his thoughts (what I've seen excerpted) about various bits of rejection & the typical 18-24 male is what he chose for a response.

The point I'm trying to make -- however poorly I'm phrasing it -- is that he really doesn't seem the least bit out of the ordinary until he starts making a plan for violence & then acts it out.

That's the fine line, isn't it? When thought transitions into action.

FWIW I agree with you re: the typical 18-24 male of a certain type. Hell, I *was* that guy for much of my youth - simultaneously desiring, yet hating women, so I completely understand where the r/theredpill dudes are coming from. They're essentially the new generation of Fight Club in a lot of respects (since we're talking almost 20 years since the film came out).

I'd like to tell them it gets better to an extent - eventually the hatred dies out to be replaced with resignation that some people are meant to live and die alone, and they might well be among that cursed number. And after resignation comes a sort of acceptance and, if not exactly peace of mind (that doesn't ever completely happen if the situation never changes), at least a certain kind of numb state of stasis from which one is able to consider a variety of potential paths for creating meaning and enjoyment if one is indeed doomed to a sexless, loveless life.

Or, to quote FC, "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

Old 05-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #13097
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Anybody ever been to belgrade or the balkans generally? I`m here on vacation and it's pretty great, i will go through montenegro and Croatia before it's all over. Very cheap, very friendly, great food, great booze (rakija), tons of history. And I realized today that even though I only know 2 words of serbian, that doesn't necessarily peg me as a stupid American, because nobody speaks serbian, so most foreign Europeans are also getting by with English. Which makes me feel better somehow. No sign of the floods except that the Danube river party boats are closed because the docks to reach them are underwater, and there's no music in the bars per the third day of national mourning.

Never been - definitely want to go sometime though. Studied the area in college.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #13098
fpres
High School JV

Random "it's a small world" moment:

I met a teacher at the summer used book sale for the Houston Public Library in 2012. Fast forward two years. I ended up behind her in the John Barrowman photo op line at Comicpalooza this weekend.
fpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #13099
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpres View Post
Random "it's a small world" moment:

I met a teacher at the summer used book sale for the Houston Public Library in 2012. Fast forward two years. I ended up behind her in the...

This had so much promise...
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #13100
MrBug708
Head Coach

It shouldnt annoy me this much, but people are ignorant about this day. All over my facebook is littered with people thanking all soldiers who served, not died.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote