Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-27-2014, 12:13 AM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Watchdogs, impressions...

Just firing it up for a bit. Will post early impressions in a few.

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:18 AM   #2
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I have the PS3 version.

Early impressions based only off about an hour:

The menu gives me a headache. Not sure how that seemed like a good idea for the design.

This is going to take some getting used to. Seems like you are being bombarded with information. A lot to process and much of it is meaningless to the story but does help the world add depth.

Like the story so far, though hopefully it continues to grow.

Not a fan of the way they show the dreams, that is headache inducing like the menu.

It seems to have a lot of promise. Hopefully I'll feel that it lived up to it after I get more time with it.

Getting on a plane to go to Niagara for a few days for work so I won't get any more time until the end of the week. Looking forward to hearing other opinions.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Played a very short amount earlier today as I waited to go to the airport.

Got a nice evil grin from stopping someone that I was chasing by raising a barrier on them.

I think this has a chance to be a very fun game but I have to remember that I am not playing GTA, there sre a couple slight (but very important in the heat of a chase) differences in the controls.

I may take a while to get used to the map. It seems to be at an odd location on the screen but maybe I just need more time with it.

One thing that is a bit of a negative, in my mind at least, is that it seems like when you are in a mission you almost take a break from the actual world as there don't seem to be consequences to your actions. I killed an innocent and then the target and passed the mission and moved to the next with no police response.

I'll try some more when I return home at the end of the week.

Oh, is his sister played by the same person that played Nathan Drake's wife? Sounds the same and the character looks very similar even (I know that has nothing to do with it being the same but that was just an observation).
Old 05-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
bhlloy
Coordinator

I have to admit this hasn't sucked me in yet. The menus are very clunky and it also seems very easy to hack something that you aren't intending to hack as the targeting for the X button seems to jump around quite a bit as you move.

Definitely not a big fan of the online component - the game has tried to force it on me twice so far and had to wait a couple minutes before timing out and telling me it couldn't find a connection, and I had someone show up in my game just as I was about to accept a mission and (I think) failed it instantly by pulling a weapon by mistake. It feels very intrusive and unclear what the goals are/what it's trying to achieve.

Overall, it's very polished and seems like there are some interesting concepts, but I haven't had the urge to keep playing it after a couple of hours (which definitely wasn't a problem for me with the last two GTA games)
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
chinaski
College Prospect

Very underwhelmed so far. Thought this was going to feel like a living chicago, but instead im constantly reminded it is not. Rigging stop lights to cause accidents? It feels more like you rig the AI driver to uncontrollably shoot into traffic for no reason at all. None of it makes sense too me, it runs like a dog on my top end system, the controls are sluggish, it breaks no barriers in the graphics dept, the FOV is very limited, you cant look from side to side in cockpit cam mode, the hacking seems pointless, bad guys are fascinated by sounds and moving objects you create (but why are they staring at a forklift that just moved, for 5 minutes?). Despite my ever growing gripe list, its an ok game, just far from great. I dont see myself playing this for more than 10 hours and most likely will never finish the main campaign. Really disappointed with this one.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Will save my cash for UFC then...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

Watch Dogs, As Told By Steam Reviews
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm reposting this from the Steam FOFC group from hukarez.

Quote:
Hey guys,

Not sure who is planning on picking up this title on Steam, but I'm pretty sure the stuttering issues were disclosed across threads all over the place. I tinkered around a bit, in addition to doing a bit of research and came up with the solution for any others with nVidia based battlestations:

Under properties of WAtch_Dogs in Steam: Set Launch Options -> -disablepagefilecheck

nVidia Control Panel:
- Enable FXAA
- Set Anisotropic Filtering to 16X
- Enable AA Mode Override
- Set AA Settings to 32XCSAA
- Set AA Transparency to 8X
- Set Max Pre-Rendered Frame to 1

Under Display Options within game: Set AA to Temporal SMAA

So far, everything isn't stuttering, and I have pretty much everything else on Ultra if not High. Hope this helps!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've played for a few hours today (PS4.) It is ok but not really grabbing me like some other games have. I agree with bhlloy that is very easy to hack the wrong thing. Also, something about this game gives me a headache after a bit. Going to take a break from it today and try diving further in tomorrow.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #10
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Definitely feels like a "wait for price cut" purchase.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #11
Groundhog
Coordinator

I stupidly purchased for PC over PS4 without checking specs. Video card isn't good enough. My own fault.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Spent the money that I was going to use on Watchdogs on Mario Kart 8 instead!
Old 05-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
chadritt
High School Varsity

Im just waiting for the Mario Kart bundle to be available on Amazon and then im buying it, i have a lot of Amazon money and WiiU seems like the best choice for me right now. PS4 and maybe XBone will come much later.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Im just waiting for the Mario Kart bundle to be available on Amazon and then im buying it, i have a lot of Amazon money and WiiU seems like the best choice for me right now. PS4 and maybe XBone will come much later.

Probably a good choice. I like the PS4, but I use it mostly for Netflix. Still waiting for the good games to really start flowing.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #15
chadritt
High School Varsity

Im just waiting for the PS4 or XBone to have something my PS3 doesnt offer. Arkham Knight might be what does it but for now at least the WiiU would be totally unique in my home.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #16
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The game is starting to grow on me but the lack of saves anywhere I want between missions is a very big negative for me.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I don't care what reviews say.. I'm really digging this game. It's a GTA, stealthy, hacking type game. The controls are nuts, but the game itself is really grabbing me.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:32 AM   #18
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Loving the game. When your hacking arsenal is unlocked there are so many cool approaches to each mission.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #19
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Played over last weekend and liking the game overall.

I noticed that there can be consequences when you are on missions (for some reason not the first one that I was on where I ended up shooting a civilian and my target).

I wish the drivers were a little better in this game. It can be annoying driving around the city sometimes. A couple times I have come across cars just stopped on the highway with no one in front of them.

Liking the game but can't connect with the world quite like in GTA 5. It seems much more fun just roaming GTA 5 than in this game... roaming just to roam that is.

Do kind of like the Person of Interest type of feel the game has with some of the tech hacks.