Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Old school RPGs

I was thinking of introducing my kids to an RPG system. What are the best options for a relatively simple RPG?

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I was thinking of introducing my kids to an RPG system. What are the best options for a relatively simple RPG?

Are we talking pen and paper/tabletop or video game?

Video game is easy: Pokemon is basically an old school RPG in a candy shell.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Pen and paper, looking at one because they are interested in the computer versions. And I'm talking DnD or one of its clones here. The market has fragmented a ton, and I don't know which way to go.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'd suggest the original basic D&D if you have it to hand or just make up your own system and roll with it ...

I introduced my boys to RPG's after they liked playing 'Space Hulk' - I just adapted the games rules to allow their characters to level up and progress to having special abilities (oh and allowed my youngest son to get a sidekick robot because he wanted one ).

These days we play D&D Next and StarWars mainly ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
And I'm talking DnD or one of its clones here.
By clones do you mean some kind of Tolkien fantasy world? Do you want to adapt a game system (rules) to the DnD world or have a complete (fantasy) setting with rules that's not DnD?
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Either, I played MERPS back in the day. I don't have an issue doing some hand waving or adaption. I am not good at creating RPG rules from scratch.

EDIT: I love Tolkien. I would have no issue with a Tolkien based setting. I would also have no issue adapting another rule set to it.

Last edited by Warhammer : 07-12-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I pulled out the old red books and taught my 14 yr old how to play. He loves the Tolkein world so we started to play MERP,...now I found my copy of Wheel of Time RPG and we will probably play that.

My 9 yr old is starting to show interest so we may spin back to the reds and go DnD again.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Unfortunately, my red book is in a landfill somewhere. That was my thought, to pull that out and tell the kids about a keep on the borderlands...
Old 07-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Unfortunately, my red book is in a landfill somewhere. That was my thought, to pull that out and tell the kids about a keep on the borderlands...

Look on ebay - when I first got my kinds into RPG's I started picking up a lot of the old stuff I remembered.

Alternatively if you like digital books D&D Classics has all the old stuff available for download ....
Old 07-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Either, I played MERPS back in the day. I don't have an issue doing some hand waving or adaption. I am not good at creating RPG rules from scratch.

EDIT: I love Tolkien. I would have no issue with a Tolkien based setting. I would also have no issue adapting another rule set to it.
I guess for rules there's the obvious D20. Learn it once and adapt it to different genres if the fantasy world gets stale. Revised (v.3.5)System Reference Document

I'm partial to GURPS as that's the first system I learned. That was 3rd edition and I believe it's up to 4th now. Probably not a significant change. They have generic fantasy sourcebooks for it I believe. I have some for 3rd ed.

You could always try FUDGE for rules. Simple, and you can customize it the way you want. System only, so no sourcebooks that I know of. May be out of print, and I'm not sure if there's a digital version.

I always wanted to play the Warhammer Fantasy RPG. I've got the rules around here somewhere, but if memory serves it was fairly complicated.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #11
Schmidty
Coordinator

Just don't introduce them to Rolemaster unless you want their brains to explode.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

My roommates play (and love) Pathfinder, but from what little I've watched/heard, it's a bit complicated for what you're looking for.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #13
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I was curious about Pathfinder, but yeah, I thought it might be a bit complicated. It may not be though, both of my kids are gamers so they could surprise me.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
bhlloy
Coordinator

See if you can't get your hands on a panzerfaust. Got to trust German engineering on these kinds of things, IMO
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #15
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

It's not old school but Savage Worlds is a great system for young players as well as old.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #16
PilotMan
Head Coach

I started with Star Wars. It's not complicated as I remember.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #17
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
See if you can't get your hands on a panzerfaust. Got to trust German engineering on these kinds of things, IMO

Naw, you want a panzerschreck. The faust is only a one shot weapon.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #18
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
It's not old school but Savage Worlds is a great system for young players as well as old.

Savage Worlds. Considerably simpler and faster than D&D. Trends toward pulp so the kids can do awesome stuff. There's a million conversions, professional as well as fan conversions, from fantasy to space to WWII to steampunk to other RPGS (including D&D). Basically, whatever you want (e.g. http://www.savageheroes.com/default.htm).
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #19
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Agreed on the conversions, anything you can think of has been converted. There's even a wildly popular My Little Pony conversion!
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #20
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I was curious about Pathfinder, but yeah, I thought it might be a bit complicated. It may not be though, both of my kids are gamers so they could surprise me.

Pathfinder is like Advanced D&D on steroids, there are so many books and options available for it ....

Once they're 'into' role-playing by all means introduce it, but as a new thing for youngsters I'd avoid it initially myself.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #21
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I would also recommend savage worlds. Kids just love all the crazy stuff that you can do with savage and exploding dice are a great feature.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #22
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Savage Worlds. Considerably simpler and faster than D&D. Trends toward pulp so the kids can do awesome stuff. There's a million conversions, professional as well as fan conversions, from fantasy to space to WWII to steampunk to other RPGS (including D&D). Basically, whatever you want (e.g. http://www.savageheroes.com/default.htm).

Agree with this. Savage Worlds is a great game system and pretty easy to absorb the rules.

Deadlands is a great setting. But, there are fantasy options as well.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #23
Ragone
Pro Rookie

i was a big fan of the rifts universe back in the day.. hundreds of hours of campaigns..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #24
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
I would also recommend savage worlds. Kids just love all the crazy stuff that you can do with savage and exploding dice are a great feature.

Exploding dice, don't I need to remove the bits from the kids heads and hands then?
Old 07-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #25
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Mouse Guard should be easy enough as well. I see on RPGG it is has a weight of 2.3.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #26
oykib
College Starter

Go to DriveThruRPG. You can take a look at a number of games. A bunch are free or PWYW. There are some with lower amounts of violence for younger kids too-- stuff like Cartoon Action Hour.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #27
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Pathfinder is like Advanced D&D on steroids, there are so many books and options available for it ....

Once they're 'into' role-playing by all means introduce it, but as a new thing for youngsters I'd avoid it initially myself.

This. I just started with a Pathfinder group a couple weeks ago via online, and it's been a blast. But it is rather complex for a beginner.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 07-13-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #28
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I started at about 9-10 with the TMNT books by Palladium, which are compatible with Heroes Unlimited (basically just expands your options). Highly recommended.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote