Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-17-2005, 08:25 AM   #1
Klinglerware
College Starter

Ping: Italian FOFC'ers or anybody who has been to Rome

So, anybody know anything about buying wine in Italy?

Well, I'm off to Rome again for a few days for work. Hopefully I'll have a chance to do a little sightseeing this time (all work no play last time).

The big boss has requested that I get her a nice bottle of Chianti when I'm there (to be expensed as "supplies", of course). Is it actually worth it to get something over there? Do I try to find a liquor store, or is the duty free a safe bet?

I figured I might take care of some of my Christmas shopping over there too. Any tips or suggestions?

Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:35 AM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Forget Chianti. Look for an Amarone, Masi is a good label. If you have to get a Chianti, make sure it is a Classico.

As for where to get it, there are plenty of wine shops. Look for a "Vinoteca" or "Enoteca". The Duty Free area at Rome Fiumicino airport is kind of lacking.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 12-17-2005 at 08:38 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:38 AM   #3
Icy
Pro Starter

The user Emiliano in this board is form Italay and lives in Rome. He will be really helpfull for you as probably you can buy liquors way cheaper in shops where the average romans buy than in the duty free or the typical tourist shops. I went to Rome last year, very pretty city with all the art and ruins of the old roman empire, i also love their food.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:53 AM   #4
st.cronin
General Manager

This thread is the perfect place for me to point out that I lost my cherry in Rome.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:17 AM   #5
Castlerock
High School Varsity

I was in Rome and Tuscany this fall. The Chianti region is in the northern part of Tuscany and we did not spend much time there. So... I don't really have much to offer in terms of Chianti. But... if you don't know what you are buying, look for the DOC labels. They are a general indicator of the quality of the wine.

There are four major categories of Italian wines:

Vino Da Tavola
Vino a Indicazione Geografica (IGT)
Vino a Denominazione di Origine Controllata (DOC)
Vino a Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita (DOCG)

Where DOCG is has the strictest controls. This does not mean that there no bad DOCG's and no great IGT's. In general nearly all wine in Italy is at least good. And when eating, don't overlook the house wine. It is often very good and always cheap.

Be sure to check out wines made with the Sangiovese grape (ex: Brunello). Some great stuff but it can be VERY pricey.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:10 AM   #6
Emiliano
College Prospect

Hey Klinglerware! Are you already in Rome? Where?

Very good suggestions by cartman and Castlerock. I'd suggest you to not buy stuff at the Fiumicino airport since there are a lot of places where you can buy good wines.

Basically, you can find good wines everywhere here, even in super-markets (better go in the big ones...). Obviously, I'd suggest to go to a "enoteca" (wine shop), I know a big one with a good choice is in "Porta Pia".

Now, I'm not a wine expert at all but if you want a nice wine you can't go wrong with "Brunello di Montalcino", that is sure one of the finest (but also one of the more expensive, I think...). As of Chianti, I'll try to get as more informations as possible for which one is the best.

Anyway, if you want a little help with your shopping in general, I'll try to do my best!
Old 12-17-2005, 12:46 PM   #7
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano
Hey Klinglerware! Are you already in Rome? Where?

Very good suggestions by cartman and Castlerock. I'd suggest you to not buy stuff at the Fiumicino airport since there are a lot of places where you can buy good wines.

Basically, you can find good wines everywhere here, even in super-markets (better go in the big ones...). Obviously, I'd suggest to go to a "enoteca" (wine shop), I know a big one with a good choice is in "Porta Pia".

Now, I'm not a wine expert at all but if you want a nice wine you can't go wrong with "Brunello di Montalcino", that is sure one of the finest (but also one of the more expensive, I think...). As of Chianti, I'll try to get as more informations as possible for which one is the best.

Anyway, if you want a little help with your shopping in general, I'll try to do my best!

Thanks for the reply, Emiliano. Not in Rome yet, my flight gets out later today. I'm not sure where in Rome I'm staying yet (I just received my itinerary yestarday).

Anyway, thanks to all for the very useful advice--I'm definitely no expert on Italian wines, and this really helps considerably. I'll be sure to avoid Fiumicino--check-in is such a madhouse there, so I probably won't have time to do any shopping there anyway...
Old 12-17-2005, 02:54 PM   #8
Drake
assmaster

There is no bad wine in Italy. Even the house wines at the mom and pop eateries are fantastic. Just tons and tons better than anything we can get domestically in the U.S. (at least in my experience -- I don't claim to be a domestic wine connoisseur).
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #9
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Forget Chianti. Look for an Amarone, Masi is a good label. If you have to get a Chianti, make sure it is a Classico.

As for where to get it, there are plenty of wine shops. Look for a "Vinoteca" or "Enoteca". The Duty Free area at Rome Fiumicino airport is kind of lacking.

Sorry to revive a long dead thread, but thanks again for that wine advice, Cartman. I just opened up a 2003 Masi Amarone that I bought on that business trip from years ago. I was saving it up for a special occassion and it was worth the wait...
Old 08-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Awesome!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yum!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote