Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2003, 11:46 AM   #1
Calis
College Starter

Combat Mission: Afrika Corps Demo!

Afrika Corps Demo

There it is! Getting ready to start DL'ing it now before I head to class. I'm on 56k so it'll take some time anyhow. Think it's just a little under 100 meg download.

Been pretty anxious to see this one!

Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:21 PM   #2
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Combat Mission is one cool game, but it wracks my nerves too much. I identify with my poor little soldiers and I keep leading them into ambushes..

I still only have the first one, but haven't had it installed in a while. Still, it was awesome. War is hell, I tells ya. I would've lasted all of ten seconds.
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:23 PM   #3
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Re: Combat Mission: Afrika Corps Demo!

Quote:
Originally posted by Calis
Afrika Corps Demo

There it is! Getting ready to start DL'ing it now before I head to class. I'm on 56k so it'll take some time anyhow. Think it's just a little under 100 meg download.

Been pretty anxious to see this one!

Outstanding news! The Combat Mission series of games rank with my all-time favorites. I've even considered doing a battle or operation interactive dynasty with FOFCers.

I wonder about the armor range issue, though. Calis, do you know if/how this will be addressed? I know the desert is not all flat, open sand by any means, but there is plenty of that, too. One of the great lessons of CM is HIDE THY ARMOR.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:36 PM   #4
Calis
College Starter

Good question, I'm not really sure how that's going to be dealt with.

I do know that the map range is now 20 square km's for scenarios and 32 for operations...it has been increased, but I don't remember exactly what it was in BtB so I'm not sure.

Just did a quick search on the Battlefront forums and didn't have any luck finding anything, only mention I could find was that the AI has been tweaked in regards to more open battles.

If this thing ever finished DL'ing, I'll see for myself.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:14 PM   #5
Rhone Ranger
n00b

The two scenarios that come with the demo have varied terrain that provides a lot of opportunities for cover, for both infantry and tanks. One scenario is in the deserts of Africa, but has ridges and an oasis that vehicles can hide behind and in, then pop up to take shots or make a flanking maneuver. The other scenario takes place in Italy, and it's anything but a flat desert there. Also, the game now features "dust" which gets kicked up from explosions, weapons firing, and vehicles moving, and can get thick enough to act as a smokescreen of sorts.
Rhone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:16 PM   #6
samifan24
Pro Starter

When I try to run the demo, I get an error message about the selected resolution being "out of range." I went to the ReadMe file, which said I should be prompted to select a resolution when I first start the game, but all I got was a flashing error message and a screen of yellow. Any ideas how I can fix this? Can I simply change my computer's resolution?
Old 11-20-2003, 01:18 PM   #7
Calis
College Starter

That's odd, I know it does a video card and resolution check to start out with. What resolution is your desktop at?

I'd definitely try changing that first, if not.. I'm not sure.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:57 PM   #8
samifan24
Pro Starter

My desktop is at 1024x768. I haven't had a chance to mess around with resolutions yet but I'll let you know if that fixes the problem.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:59 PM   #9
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by Sidhe
I identify with my poor little soldiers and I keep leading them into ambushes..

I identify will my little men and keep leading them into bushes too.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 04:04 PM   #10
samifan24
Pro Starter

Ok I just loaded the game again and I got to the title screen with some background music after the game finally found an "acceptable" resolution. Immediately after the title screen, a message popped up that said "this game only runs in 800 x 600 resolution." Any ideas? I'm so excited to try this sucker out but my poor computer can't take it.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:07 PM   #11
Calis
College Starter

You've got me on this one. You might want to post or check on the Battlefront.com website, might have better luck finding help there.

I'm running in 1024x768 with no problems using a Radeon 9700.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:33 PM   #12
Rhone Ranger
n00b

samifan,

You might want to try deleting the "preferences" file that ought to be in the Combat Mission directory now that you've run the game. Then run Combat Mission again. It might take 10+ seconds to find a monitor setting it can work with (it does that on my monitor) and you'll then see a little message asking you to click a button indicating you can see the little message. Click that little button, and then the game ought to work at that point.
Rhone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 04:35 PM   #13
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally posted by samifan24
Ok I just loaded the game again and I got to the title screen with some background music after the game finally found an "acceptable" resolution. Immediately after the title screen, a message popped up that said "this game only runs in 800 x 600 resolution." Any ideas? I'm so excited to try this sucker out but my poor computer can't take it.
Samifan, the previous versions of the game list some very specific troubleshooting scenarios in the back of the manual. Many are tied to the specific video card you have. Update your video driver if it's not already up to date. Also, if you list your exact video card type, I might be able to track something down in the manual for CM: Barbarossa to Berlin.

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2003, 12:02 AM   #14
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by WSUCougar
Samifan, the previous versions of the game list some very specific troubleshooting scenarios in the back of the manual. Many are tied to the specific video card you have. Update your video driver if it's not already up to date. Also, if you list your exact video card type, I might be able to track something down in the manual for CM: Barbarossa to Berlin.

Good luck!

Thanks for the offer WSUCougar. I've tried anything but to no avail. My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 420 with what I believe to be the latest drivers installed (from October). Thanks for your help thus far, I hope I can get this thing working!

For those of you who read my other thread about needing to save games (because Dell has no idea what's wrong with my win32k.sys file and a Windows repair didn't fix the problem), it seems that my computer is falling apart all at once!! I'm going crazy over here!!
Old 11-21-2003, 12:25 AM   #15
samifan24
Pro Starter

dola- I finally got the demo working! I turned anti-aliasing off and then followed the second step on the FAQs for NVIDIA video cards and somehow it worked. Thanks for all the help guys. I find that I can get better information here at FOFC then when I call for tech support with Dell, Gateway, or whoever.