Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
No more Saturday morning cartoons on broadcast networks

A piece of my childhood has died.

The end of Saturday morning cartoons - WTOP.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
Blackadar
Retired

The Saturday morning infomercial-fest!
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
molson
General Manager

Robert Thompson is quoted in almost every news article that has something to do with TV. I took all of his classes at Syracuse, he's kind of an entertaining oddball that has the most ridiculous job in history. He was the expert of television back before the internet when there wasn't a million television experts. He was critically deconstructing Three's Company during its original run.

Now though, I think he's maybe starting to mail it in. Saturday morning cartoons go away, so they have to call him. His response, "I don't know, maybe kids are playing playing more soccer Saturday morning or something....oh, and there's more TV channels now!"
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

My kids watch cartoons most Saturday mornings, and they are all either from Netflix or TiVo'd from during the week.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
miked
College Starter

My kids watch PBS or Nick Jr. The cartoons on network channels are stupid these days. Grumble grumble.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
My kids watch cartoons most Saturday mornings, and they are all either from Netflix or TiVo'd from during the week.

Yes, same here.

I think maybe the better title (or maybe a separate discussion) is "The End of Linear Programming Schedules."

My four year old has no concept of x show coming on at y time because he has everything at his fingertips. He goes from watching football highlights to Curious George to Peppa Pig with a swipe or two.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
twothree
College Prospect

I watch my saturday afternoon cartoons (anime) on Hulu or Crunchyroll.

Last season was great: Sword Art Online II, The Irregular at Magic High School, and Aldnoah Zero.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
My kids watch PBS or Nick Jr. The cartoons on network channels are stupid these days. Grumble grumble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Yes, same here.

I think maybe the better title (or maybe a separate discussion) is "The End of Linear Programming Schedules."

My four year old has no concept of x show coming on at y time because he has everything at his fingertips. He goes from watching football highlights to Curious George to Peppa Pig with a swipe or two.

This and This. My son can watch anything he wants at any time either on demand or Youtube.

I was actually just having this discussion with someone about how my 4 year old just doesn't get the concept of waiting for a show to come on at a certain time. I tried to tell him how things used to be for Daddy and he looked at me like I was nuts. He really enjoys watching the voice, and just couldn't comprehend why we had to wait until next week for a new episode.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I was actually just having this discussion with someone about how my 4 year old just doesn't get the concept of waiting for a show to come on at a certain time. I tried to tell him how things used to be for Daddy and he looked at me like I was nuts.

I know this discussion well.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #10
gstelmack
Pro Starter

My kids would rather play video games than watch TV. We do watch some, but they prefer interactive entertainment by a large margin.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #11
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This and This. My son can watch anything he wants at any time either on demand or Youtube.

I was actually just having this discussion with someone about how my 4 year old just doesn't get the concept of waiting for a show to come on at a certain time. I tried to tell him how things used to be for Daddy and he looked at me like I was nuts. He really enjoys watching the voice, and just couldn't comprehend why we had to wait until next week for a new episode.

the question i always get is "can you fast forward through the commercial" when we are watching something that is live
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #12
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Unlike me, my son never grew up watching cartoons - don't think he can name one. Instead he played video games and mostly, watched sports. Even now, he gets up at 6:30am on Saturdays to catch game day and other pre-game shows. When I was a kid, no sports came on until 1pm so that gave me 8-1 to watch cartoons.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #13
Thomkal
Head Coach

But....where will I watch SuperFriends now?
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #14
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
But....where will I watch SuperFriends now?

I think they have a Roku channel.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #15
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
My four year old has no concept of x show coming on at y time because he has everything at his fingertips.
Yup. This is completely foreign to my 5-year-old. Other than a few football games with me, she has never watched anything on live television. For that matter, I would imagine that she thinks that commercials are only played during football games.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-02-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #16
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I think they have a Roku channel.

I don't have a Roku
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #17
General Mike
Pro Starter

Kinda sad. When I was little there were only the Big 3 channels, but they all had their Saturday cartoon blocks. Then they all slowly faded away. Now nothing. Kinda sad.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #18
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Yeah, I told my son about the Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner Hour. Greatest hour in programming history as a kid.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

There's cartoons on 24/7/365 on a number of channels. The need for dedicated Saturday mornings on networks simply ceased to exist.

The next Saturday tradition to go might end up being MLB Sat afternoons.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #20
molson
General Manager

Apparently CW was the last holdout? As far as I can tell, ABC/NBC/CBS haven't run Saturday morning cartoons in 15 years.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Apparently CW was the last holdout? As far as I can tell, ABC/NBC/CBS haven't run Saturday morning cartoons in 15 years.

Yeah, I think that's about right.

Once the FCC's "educational" requirements for licensees stiffened in the 90s the cartoon block's death was pretty much assured. The popularity (or at least familiarity) of 30 mins show akin to Animal Planet programs helped finish it off.

Until doing some reading today I didn't even realize that the Big 3 networks had all farmed Saturday morning's out to the same company (Litton) to handle over the past few years.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #22
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
the question i always get is "can you fast forward through the commercial" when we are watching something that is live

I get the "can you pause it so I can go to the bathroom?" question a lot.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #23
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I know NBC was the first to go. They had cartoons and then Saved by the Bell in the late 80s into 1991 or so, then they just dropped cartoons and added the weekend version of the Today show, and added more of the live shows for Teens like California Dreams and Hang Time. Pretty sure CBS lasted into the 2000s as they had corporate synergy with Nickelodeon, and ABC had synergy with Disney, but I think ABC went with more live action stuff in the early 2000s
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:37 PM   #24
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

My girls are pretty much the same as other kids nowadays. Between the DVR, the free on-demand from AT&T, and Netflix, they pretty much only watch recorded/streamed programs. I don't think they watch anything live unless they accidentally stumble across a program they normally watch as a recording. Hard to believe it's been 30 years since I spent my Saturday mornings and weekday afternoons looking at Transformers and Saturday Supercade (when video games were so popular, just about all of them got turned into cartoons for a Saturday morning block on CBS) and all that fun stuff.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #25
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

What I miss are the non-cartoon Saturday shows: Roy Rogers, Rin Tin Tin, Sky King. Those shows were the best, and they don't come close to those standards these days.

And of course the greatest kid show ever:

Andy's Gang - Pasta Fazooli vs. Froggy the Gremlin - Tuba - YouTube
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote