Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #2601
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Positive stat of the day #1: Only three teams have lost the first game of the WS by 6+ runs. All three went on to win the World Series.

Positive stat of the day #2: When the Royals won the World Series, they lost the first two games in the series (this also covers tomorrow in case things go south tonight).

Quote:
Here's the generally good news, which we somewhat already knew from our experience in 1985. Out of the last 10 teams that have headed home down 3-2, 8 of them have won the World Series (one of those teams being the 1985 Royals).

Quote:
Saw that in the last 9 Game 7 WS games, the home team is 9-0. We do NOT want to be the one to break that streak.

Since the move to a 7 game series, no team that has lost four games has gone on to lose a fifth game.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #2602
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Especially since it'll likely be another thirty years before the Royals make it back!

Quote:
We're now officially a dynasty. No worries.

I guess the dynasty has been put on hold?

Congratulations to the Giants and the Royals. It was a shame someone had to lose.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #2603
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Since the move to a 7 game series, no team that has lost four games has gone on to lose a fifth game.

The Royals have them right where they want them.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #2604
CraigSca
Pro Starter

The best part of the World Series ending is this:

Alex Rodriguez eligible for New York Yankees as season-long suspension ends - ESPN New York
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #2605
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Best deal in baseball:

St. Louis Cardinals exercise John Lackey's MLB-minimum option - ESPN

Thanks again, Red Sox!
Old 10-30-2014, 06:33 PM   #2606
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

How does one be a fan of the Boston Red Sox, St. Louis Cardinals, AND the San Francisco Giants? Who's the 4th favorite team? The Yankees?

Well three out of four aint bad. Last year I declared that I would be happy no matter who won the series. It actually took the interference on the base paths ruling to show me my true allegiance in that one.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #2607
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Come to think of it, the choices are easy: generally any pro teams not in NYC,
Pennsylvania, Chicago or LA.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #2608
cuervo72
Head Coach

Probably forgot Atlanta and Detroit.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #2609
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I'm ok with Atlanta and Detroit and even [cough] Texas...generally, compared to NY, PA, Chic and LA.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #2610
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Come to think of it, the choices are easy: generally any pro teams not in NYC,
Pennsylvania, Chicago or LA.

hedge much...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #2611
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Jon, do you have the overnights from Kansas City? I saw that game 2 had close to a 50 share for Kansas City. I'd love to see what they were for Game 7, especially if there's a half hour breakdown. I wouldn't be surprised to see over 60 for the last hour but I don't have a sense of these things.

The thing that still gets me, even a day later, is that when Gordon was running there were at least 500K or more people irrationally yelling "GO! GO! GO!" at a tv in a unified cause, trivial though it may be. I was curious to try and put a number to it, if possible.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #2612
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
, is that when Gordon was running there were at least 500K or more people irrationally yelling "GO! GO! GO!" at a tv in a unified cause, trivial though it may be. I was curious to try and put a number to it, if possible.

SI

Another thing from that particular play that would be interesting to put a number to would be to see if the Royals had a better chance of him running to home, or trying to rely on the next batter to bring him in. With all of the advanced metrics out there, I'm sure someone has already started work on the different probabilities.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #2613
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Another thing from that particular play that would be interesting to put a number to would be to see if the Royals had a better chance of him running to home, or trying to rely on the next batter to bring him in. With all of the advanced metrics out there, I'm sure someone has already started work on the different probabilities.

I wish there was a replay showing when Gordon went into full speed as I'd be curious to see if it was one of those regular plays where the batter runs 75% "knowing" it's a single at best and then needs to turn on the jets once the ball skips past the defender.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #2614
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Jon, do you have the overnights from Kansas City? I saw that game 2 had close to a 50 share for Kansas City. I'd love to see what they were for Game 7, especially if there's a half hour breakdown. I wouldn't be surprised to see over 60 for the last hour but I don't have a sense of these things.

The thing that still gets me, even a day later, is that when Gordon was running there were at least 500K or more people irrationally yelling "GO! GO! GO!" at a tv in a unified cause, trivial though it may be. I was curious to try and put a number to it, if possible.

SI

found this note at TVBTN
Quote:
Kansas City turned out in force to watch the finale of their Royals’ thrilling postseason run, posting its highest metered market rating for any MLB game on record - 58.3/77. (Note: Kansas City was not a metered market during the Royals’ last World Series appearance in 1985). San Francisco’s 38.8/64 was the best MLB rating for the Bay Area since Game 7 of the 2002 World Series.

I think that's the HH rating there and with 923,290 HH in the market, figure, 538,278 HH based on that rating, typically around 1.5 people watching per HH ... give or take probably around 750,000 people in the Kansas City DMA were screaming simultaneously.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #2615
henry296
College Starter

Quote:

Nate Silver wrote something on this topic.

Send Alex Gordon! | FiveThirtyEight
Old 10-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #2616
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post

As did Jeff Sullivan:
Alex Gordon Barely Had a Chance | FanGraphs Baseball

(I wasn't advocating sending him, for the record. I thought he would be out by a mile, barring something inexplicable like Crawford airmailing the throw or a catcher's interference. Even with some odd things already happening on that play, the odds were still greatly against it.)

But, I seriously think there was a whole city, as that play was unfolding, just yelling "GO! GO! GO!", trying to will one last bit of magic out of the season.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-30-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:36 AM   #2617
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post

Looking at the analysis on Fangraphs, I'm going to wildly guess that Alex Gordon had something like a 5% chance of scoring or even less considering where the ball was as he approached 3rd base. I'm not sure how you could send him there, even considering the circumstances.

Although it probably would've been interesting to make MLB interpret the worst new rule change, the plate-blocking rule, as part of the potential end of the Series.

Last edited by Butter : 10-31-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:59 PM   #2618
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Best deal in baseball:

St. Louis Cardinals exercise John Lackey's MLB-minimum option - ESPN

Thanks again, Red Sox!
But we got Allen Craig!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:02 PM   #2619
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Although it probably would've been interesting to make MLB interpret the worst new rule change, the plate-blocking rule, as part of the potential end of the Series.

Especially since it would have involved the catcher that was a big reason for the rule.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:08 PM   #2620
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Maddon to the Cubs coming soon, as the Cubs just announced they're firing Renteria.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:02 PM   #2621
Logan
Head Coach

If you believe what the Cubs said, it seems like they handled this about as well as possible in terms of keeping Renteria in the loop.

Quote:
Rick deserved to come back for another season as Cubs manager, and we said as much when we announced that he would be returning in 2015. We met with Rick two weeks ago for a long end-of-season evaluation and discussed plans for next season. We praised Rick to the media and to our season ticket holders. These actions were made in good faith.

Last Thursday, we learned that Joe Maddon - who may be as well suited as anyone in the industry to manage the challenges that lie ahead of us - had become a free agent. We confirmed the news with Major League Baseball, and it became public knowledge the next day. We saw it as a unique opportunity and faced a clear dilemma: be loyal to Rick or be loyal to the organization. In this business of trying to win a world championship for the first time in 107 years, the organization has priority over any one individual. We decided to pursue Joe.

While there was no clear playbook for how to handle this type of situation, we knew we had to be transparent with Rick before engaging with Joe. Jed flew to San Diego last Friday and told Rick in person of our intention to talk to Joe about the managerial job. Subsequently, Jed and I provided updates to Rick via telephone and today informed him that we will indeed make a change.

We offered Rick a choice of other positions with the Cubs, but he is of course free to leave the organization and pursue opportunities elsewhere. Armed with the experience of a successful season and all the qualities that made him our choice a year ago, Rick will no doubt make an excellent major league manager when given his next chance.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #2622
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Yeah, it's a bummer for Rick but the organization did what they had to do when Joe became a free agent. And from what I read in the release, they were as fair as they could be to Rick.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:13 PM   #2623
Recoil
High School Varsity

I have this strange suspicion Maddon won't be receiving a Christmas card from Renteria this year.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:13 PM   #2624
Logan
Head Coach

If I were the Mets and was pursuing Maddon I would have just canceled Terry Collins' work phone and email account.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:05 PM   #2625
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Feel sorry for such a quality manager like Maddon.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:30 PM   #2626
path12
Coordinator

This worked out great for the Cubs when they landed Pinella. Oh wait.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:08 PM   #2627
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Feel sorry for such a quality manager like Maddon.

Yup, hate having young players such as Bryant, Rizzo, Soler, Arrieta, Castro, Baez, Almora, Schwarber and Alcantara at your disposal. What a travesty.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #2628
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

He's a Cubs hater, disregard.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:43 PM   #2629
Dutch
"Dutch"

Cubs cut payroll from $105m to $84m last year...if they just give Maddon that $19M back, he can make some good stuff happen.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:00 PM   #2630
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Cubs cut payroll from $105m to $84m last year...if they just give Maddon that $19M back, he can make some good stuff happen.

Personnel payroll doesn't effect player payroll, AFAIK.

I love baseball and MLB is better when large market teams like the Cubs are competitive. They haven't won a title in what, 106 years? Plus, they have the most exciting and talented farm system in baseball. They should be fun to watch for years to come. Maddon will only make things better. Go Cubbies (when they're not playing the Braves, of course).
Old 10-31-2014, 07:21 PM   #2631
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Yup, hate having young players such as Bryant, Rizzo, Soler, Arrieta, Castro, Baez, Almora, Schwarber and Alcantara at your disposal. What a travesty.

Who?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:40 PM   #2632
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Who?

Going to pretend you're trolling me.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #2633
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Going to pretend you're trolling me.

Only a few rung a bell. I'm assuming most are in the Felix Pie, Donald Veal, and Eric Patterson mold?
Old 10-31-2014, 08:05 PM   #2634
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Only a few rung a bell. I'm assuming most are in the Felix Pie, Donald Veal, and Eric Patterson mold?

They're all no names. Doubt you'll hear of any of em ever again. But if you'd like to read some scouting reports on a few: Evaluating the Prospects: Chicago Cubs | FanGraphs Baseball
Old 10-31-2014, 08:09 PM   #2635
MrBug708
Head Coach

So basically my above post, 2633, was spot on
Old 10-31-2014, 08:24 PM   #2636
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
So basically my above post, 2633, was spot on

You’re completely right. But let’s take a look at this MLB top 100 from the Cubs system:

7.) Javier Baez (SS)
9.) Kris Bryant (3B)
18.) Albert Almora (OF)
42.) C.J. Edwards (RHP)
49.) Jorge Soler (OF)
89.) Arismendy Alcantara (2B)
100.) Pierce Johnson (RHP)

So many no-names. You gotta feel bad for the Cubbies.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:30 PM   #2637
MrBug708
Head Coach

All three of the guys I listed were also once top prospects in the Cubs system and in major league baseball. But unless you are actual fanboy of the Cubs, they are no name player to pretty much everyone.

You don't need to keep telling me I'm right. I already know that
Old 10-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #2638
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
All three of the guys I listed were also once top prospects in the Cubs system and in major league baseball. But unless you are actual fanboy of the Cubs, they are no name player to pretty much everyone.

You don't need to keep telling me I'm right. I already know that

All of the prospects I listed are known to true baseball fans. Especially Kris Bryant.

Felix Pie is the only player you listed that ever made a MLB prospect top 100.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:00 PM   #2639
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Well nertz. I guess I'm not a true fan.

Poo.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:02 PM   #2640
Recoil
High School Varsity

Donald Veal
Eric Patterson

LOL

Jesus Christ, dude. What a stretch. You just wiki Chicago Cub draft selections?
Old 10-31-2014, 09:03 PM   #2641
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Will you guys just get out the measuring tape and finish this already?
Old 10-31-2014, 09:05 PM   #2642
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Will you guys just get out the measuring tape and finish this already?

You've never heard of any of the Cub prospects I listed?
Old 10-31-2014, 09:06 PM   #2643
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
All of the prospects I listed are known to true baseball fans. Especially Kris Bryant.

Felix Pie is the only player you listed that ever made a MLB prospect top 100.

I guess you aren't a true baseball fan

BaseballAmerica.com: Prospects: Rankings: Top 100 Prospects: 2007 Top 100 Prospects
Old 10-31-2014, 09:08 PM   #2644
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sean Gallagher, Jose Ceda. ..take your pick of can't miss prospects.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:13 PM   #2645
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:

Yeah, none of these are "can't miss prospects."

Keep reaching.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:31 PM   #2646
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You’re completely right. But let’s take a look at this MLB top 100 from the Cubs system:

7.) Javier Baez (SS)
9.) Kris Bryant (3B)
18.) Albert Almora (OF)
42.) C.J. Edwards (RHP)
49.) Jorge Soler (OF)
89.) Arismendy Alcantara (2B)
100.) Pierce Johnson (RHP)

So many no-names. You gotta feel bad for the Cubbies.

Of any team out there, they have the brightest future between a bevy of prospects, a good front office, and a money making machine that should make them the Red Sox of the next decade.

But beware of prospects (of course):
Success and Failure Rates of Top MLB Prospects - Royals Review
Royals' can't-miss prospects have missed - SweetSpot Blog - ESPN
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...-what-happened

For the "Best Farm System Ever", here's the gains for the Royals:

Hosmer and Moose, for all their postseason heroics this season have been worse than expected. Moose has a career .236 average and 1 season over 1.1 WAR. Hosmer has been worth a total (not average, total) of 2.4 Myers won ROY for Tampa last year but put up a triple slash of .222/.294/.320 this year.
Lamb (18 in 2011 BA rankings), Montgomery (19), and Dwyer (83) have combined for 3 major league innings.
The jury is still out on Colon (Utility IF so far), Duffy (Royals #3 starter this year but oft injured), and Jake Odorizzi (decent season in Tampa this year)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-31-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:44 PM   #2647
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Of any team out there, they have the brightest future between a bevy of prospects, a good front office, and a money making machine that should make them the Red Sox of the next decade.

But beware of prospects (of course):
Success and Failure Rates of Top MLB Prospects - Royals Review
Royals' can't-miss prospects have missed - SweetSpot Blog - ESPN
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...-what-happened

For the "Best Farm System Ever", here's the gains for the Royals:

Hosmer and Moose, for all their postseason heroics this season have been worse than expected. Moose has a career .236 average and 1 season over 1.1 WAR. Hosmer has been worth a total (not average, total) of 2.4 Myers won ROY for Tampa last year but put up a triple slash of .222/.294/.320 this year.
Lamb (18 in 2011 BA rankings), Montgomery (19), and Dwyer (83) have combined for 3 major league innings.
The jury is still out on Colon (Utility IF so far), Duffy (Royals #3 starter this year but oft injured), and Jake Odorizzi (decent season in Tampa this year)

SI

First, my condolences. I was rooting for Royal Blue all the way.

And you're right. Moose and Hosmer are two great examples of top prospects that didn't pan out. Hosmer tried to put KC on his back. I still don't think he's a legit 1B.

Moose seems lost. Everyone knows the talent is there, though. At 26, he only has a few seasons to prove himself before he becomes a FA in 2018.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:22 PM   #2648
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
First, my condolences. I was rooting for Royal Blue all the way.

And you're right. Moose and Hosmer are two great examples of top prospects that didn't pan out. Hosmer tried to put KC on his back. I still don't think he's a legit 1B.

Moose seems lost. Everyone knows the talent is there, though. At 26, he only has a few seasons to prove himself before he becomes a FA in 2018.

Thanks for the kind words.

As for Hosmer and Moose, both are good defenders but their bats are just, ugh, for their positions. And they were both Top 10 prospects- not Royals Top 10, MLB top 10 as well as really high draft picks, to boot.

And I wasn't trying to be a downer about the Cubs. Their system is loaded unlike anyone else in the league. It's just a reminder that prospects are just that and the attrition rate is high.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-31-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #2649
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting that Billy Butler is all but begging the Royals to take him back. I think Billy is one of those really good guys who feels comfortable in the Midwest. Although he could get money elsewhere, I think he's also one of those guys that isn't all that excited about facing the increased scrutiny of a coastal media market if things go south for him. Will be interesting to see if he takes a 5-6M sweetheart deal from the Royals just to avoid going elsewhere.

Nice letter in the KC Star today.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #2650
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Stark contrast to Giants fans, who, as we all know, celebrated in San Francisco after game 7 by lighting several Royals fans on fire.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 11-02-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote