Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-07-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Happier Paris note: DT in Paris

On a happier Paris note - I'm starting to put together my vacation for the year, and thinking of coming over to Paris in Spring. Part of the reason for the trip will be to hop a Eurorail from Paris to Turin to catch a soccer game (YES!!!!), but I've also never been to France.

So:
1) I'd obviously love to meet up with any of the FOFC contingent
2) How long should I spend in Paris? I took a lot of French history in college, so I'm looking forward to checking out the historical stuff as well as the obvious architectural/artistic touristy stuff
3) What else should be on my "must see" list? Versailles I assume, but anything else?

Any miscellaneous tips?

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

Versailles is overrated IMO.

Going to Normandy Beach on a day trip is a surreal experience (though that may just have been because when I went there, I was the same age as my grandfather was when we landed there in WW2).

Paris is one of those cities you can spend a week in and still not come close to seeing/doing everything there is IMO. It's a city that's grown on me more and more each time I've been there.

Usual warning of gypsies at tourist sites applies - particularly the Eiffel Tower from what I can recall.

Other touristy stuff - Louvre is definitely worth going to, but the Mona Lisa itself is not IMO (It's *really* small and hard to see, not to mention crowded). Metro is *very* easy to get around on, so use that for as much of your traveling as possible.

If I think of more stuff, I'll pop back in.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Very cool. We actually just booked a trip to Iceland in late March. Very excited to go as it's my first time heading over the Atlantic Ocean. Can't wait.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm going to be going to France in August - spending some time in Normandy to see a lot of WW2 sites, a bit in Paris, and then in Provence. Should be a good time.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #5
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

What Izulde said. There's a ton to do in Paris.

The Louvre is great, make sure you also walk around the gardens.

The Orsay is great if you like nineteenth century art.

Notre Dame is as good as advertised, but do watch for gypsies. Sainte Chapelle is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The hours are short and it's not advertised well, but it's ver much worth it.

Go to the Eiffel Tower.

The Luxembourg Gardens are wonderful, but probably not a must see unless you're in that area.

One out of the way place I stopped at was Deyrolle's Taxidermy shop. It has an incredible collection on display.

Make sure you take plenty of time to walk around. The Metro is great, but you can get around a lot by walking. It's a great city to walk around and explore.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:28 PM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
What Izulde said. There's a ton to do in Paris.

The Louvre is great, make sure you also walk around the gardens.

The Orsay is great if you like nineteenth century art.

Notre Dame is as good as advertised, but do watch for gypsies. Sainte Chapelle is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The hours are short and it's not advertised well, but it's ver much worth it.

Go to the Eiffel Tower.

The Luxembourg Gardens are wonderful, but probably not a must see unless you're in that area.

One out of the way place I stopped at was Deyrolle's Taxidermy shop. It has an incredible collection on display.

Make sure you take plenty of time to walk around. The Metro is great, but you can get around a lot by walking. It's a great city to walk around and explore.

Yeah - I've always been a walker. I've walked all around London and Rome, basically covered the whole cities on foot, so I imagine I'll do the same.

Louve & Orsay are definites. As is Notre Dame & Eiffel Tower, and now that you guys mention it, obviously a day-trip to Normandy (hello history major - and my grandfather flew paratroops on D-Day). Will add Sainte Chapelle too.

Keep em coming!
Old 01-07-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I fascinated to see what people post here...I did grad school in paris so I had a completely different experience. and im old, so that was a long time ago.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:12 PM   #8
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I did stop by the Mona Lisa, but really only to say that I did. The viewing experience is akin to boarding the T in Fenway after a Sox game.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I did stop by the Mona Lisa, but really only to say that I did. The viewing experience is akin to boarding the T in Fenway after a Sox game.

Yeah - I figure Versailles and the Mona Lisa will be like that, but it's almost like you have to do it just so you can say that you did.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:33 PM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I skipped Versailles, but I only had four days and I didn't want to lose a whole day.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #11
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Very cool. We actually just booked a trip to Iceland in late March. Very excited to go as it's my first time heading over the Atlantic Ocean. Can't wait.

We went to Iceland in June, and it was amazing. Just being outside in such a different terrain. We rented a house near Thingvellir for a week and even that alone would have been worth the trip.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:08 AM   #12
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Versailles is overrated IMO.

Agreed. Especially the building itself. The gardens are pretty cool.

Also, if you're a non-French speaker, it's really easy to screw up getting the correct public transport tickets to go all the way out there and end up spending double what you should have.

Quote:

Second this. Also, since the Metro has amazing coverage, I always felt comfortable just walking and walking, knowing that when I finally got tired I was probably only going to be a few blocks from a Metro station.

I don't know how long you'll be in France, but if you have an extra couple of days I'd recommend the Loire Valley. Go to someplace like Blois, rent a bike, and you can cycle to a variety of chateaux. Pick up a picnic lunch on the way (on your bike) at local shops (i.e. bread, water, wine, cheese) to complete the experience.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:56 AM   #13
King of New York
High School Varsity

In Paris, you might want to check out the Pantheon (where all sorts of famous people are buried--it's an interesting place), and Napoleon's Tomb, which is impressive.

You might want to think about hopping over to Belgium for a day or two. Places such as Brussels, Louvain, and Ghent are well worth the visit. Also, last summer I drove to Bastogne, where a brand-new museum about the Battle of the Bulge had just opened up, and the museum was fabulous--one could easily spend half a day there as well.

Thumbs up for the Loire Valley, Sainte Chappelle (better than Notre Dame), and the Luxembourg Gardens.

Which part of Paris are you staying in?
Old 01-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Agreed. Especially the building itself. The gardens are pretty cool.

Also, if you're a non-French speaker, it's really easy to screw up getting the correct public transport tickets to go all the way out there and end up spending double what you should have.

Second this. Also, since the Metro has amazing coverage, I always felt comfortable just walking and walking, knowing that when I finally got tired I was probably only going to be a few blocks from a Metro station.

I don't know how long you'll be in France, but if you have an extra couple of days I'd recommend the Loire Valley. Go to someplace like Blois, rent a bike, and you can cycle to a variety of chateaux. Pick up a picnic lunch on the way (on your bike) at local shops (i.e. bread, water, wine, cheese) to complete the experience.

I have no defined limit on the number of days right now - that's part of my asking.

I speak no French - which does worry me a little. Then again - I spoke no Italian when I first went over there and I picked up enough to keep myself out of trouble as a tourist during the flight over, so I imagine that as far as technology has come I'll be able to do better than that even with French in the months before the trip.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-08-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
In Paris, you might want to check out the Pantheon (where all sorts of famous people are buried--it's an interesting place), and Napoleon's Tomb, which is impressive.

You might want to think about hopping over to Belgium for a day or two. Places such as Brussels, Louvain, and Ghent are well worth the visit. Also, last summer I drove to Bastogne, where a brand-new museum about the Battle of the Bulge had just opened up, and the museum was fabulous--one could easily spend half a day there as well.

Thumbs up for the Loire Valley, Sainte Chappelle (better than Notre Dame), and the Luxembourg Gardens.

Which part of Paris are you staying in?

Thanks!

No reservations yet. Need to get serious about pulling the trip together over the next week or so though.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:21 AM   #16
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm on the flip side of Versailles. I loved the visit. The building, the gardens, the grounds, the scale of the place was incredible.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #17
BillyNYC
High School JV

I had the fortune/misfortune of being "stuck" in Paris a few years back, during the Iceland volcanic eruption. My original 4 day stay ended up being 8.

Had more time to aimlessly wander the streets, which is an awesome thing to do in Paris. Ending up in residential neighborhoods and snacking on bread and cheese and just roaming some more was memorable. While some areas (especially on the periphery) are a bit sketchy, mostly it's quite safe to just stroll.

Agreed with everyone else in the mere quantity of stuff to do and see, and also on the Metro being extremely efficient and useful. Language is never too much of an issue from my experience.

I think Versailles would be amazing if it's your first palace visited. Having been to Schonbrunn (in Vienna) previously, it felt pretty similar (and thus, not so impressive).

Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I enjoyed the Catacombs, in a morbid sort of way.

Paris is centrally located Western Europewise, and you can do sidetrips to London, Brussels/Ghent/Antwerp/Bruges, or even Amsterdam in 3 hours or less each way by train, along with various places in France itself.
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #18
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I speak no French - which does worry me a little. Then again - I spoke no Italian when I first went over there and I picked up enough to keep myself out of trouble as a tourist during the flight over, so I imagine that as far as technology has come I'll be able to do better than that even with French in the months before the trip.

It's funny - I've never had a problem in France (even Paris), even though I know very little French. I found that attempting to ask for things in French, and otherwise being polite and not an "ugly tourist" generally made people happy to help out, and many switched to English anyway.

This probably goes for being a tourist in general.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #19
Super Ugly
High School JV

Musee D'Orsay is a must. Pompidou is worth a visit if you like modern art. If you're interested in literature, stop by the Shakespeare & Co. book shop near Notre Dame. It's where the likes of Ginsberg and Kerouac hung out.

Pigalle has some great bars.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #20
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Ugly View Post
Musee D'Orsay is a must. Pompidou is worth a visit if you like modern art. If you're interested in literature, stop by the Shakespeare & Co. book shop near Notre Dame. It's where the likes of Ginsberg and Kerouac hung out.

Pigalle has some great bars.

Definitely doing the D'Orsay, and your'e right - Shakespeare & Co. is something I should absolutely swing by!
Old 01-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #21
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I have no defined limit on the number of days right now - that's part of my asking.

Have you ever tried the free app Duolingo? I am using it to learn Spanish right now. I'll bet if you picked up the free French course (it's not an actual class, more like a game/exercise that teaches you the language), you could pick up enough to not completely embarrass yourself by the time you go.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #22
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Google Translate app is awesome. If you get stuck trying to communicate, you can type in English, and it will translate to text, as well as speak the language you are translating to. We used an early version of it on our trip to China a few years back, and the latest versions are incredible.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #23
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Nice idea on Duolingo - and Google Translate obviously would be helpful too. Although doesn't that need an internet connection?
Old 01-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #24
cartman
Death Herald

Yep, but Paris offers free city-wide WiFi

How to access the Wi-Fi free of charge in Paris - Paris.fr
Old 01-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #25
Super Ugly
High School JV

Don't feel nervous about not speaking French. Paris is the one place I know where the locals actually get offended when tourists attempt to speak the language (or speak it badly, anyway). It's helpful to be able to read a few words, but most people you meet will speak good English (France is very different to Italy in that regard).
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #26
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Yep, but Paris offers free city-wide WiFi

How to access the Wi-Fi free of charge in Paris - Paris.fr

I LOVE IT!!!!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #27
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

When I moved there I didnt speak a word of French...and never had an issue

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #28
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Most of where you're going to be won't have free Wifi. Be ready to do your internet things in the hotel or at restaurants. It made a nice excuse to stop and have a drink.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:07 PM   #29
Dutch
"Dutch"

When I went to France, I kept trying to speak German to them...that didn't really turn out to well...except when I went to the Maginot line...and they all spoke German.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote