Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2015, 10:15 AM   #401
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I had Cancer Everywhere Internal as my leader in the club house.

That too would likely end a career.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #402
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Communist Eye Itch
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #403
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Watch, the NFL will suspend Lynch for the Super Bowl for extensively defying league mandates on media interaction. And then the NFL will "un-suspend" Lynch to punish the Patriots for cheating.

Nothing changes, punishments handed out, everyone wins!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:01 AM   #404
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
There's going to be backlash simply because they are looking to repeat. For anyone that's not a fan of the Seahawks, that's an issue. Folks might root for a fun story for a little while, but when that fun story starts turning into a potential dynasty, then most folks turn.

I would expect that folks that aren't turned off the Seahawks by other reasons will start to get tired of them if they beat the Pats.

I felt the same way about the Pats and Tom Brady - the first time they won a Super Bowl it was a cool story. But when it became clear they were a juggernaut and won 2 more, it became "anyone but the Pats FFS" - not because I found anything particularly loathsome about them, but just because I wanted to see another team get the prize. Same thing with the Red Sox - it was awesome when they broke the curse and topped the Yankees, but then they became the Yankees and it got real old, real quick.

At least you are honest about it. I like the Seahawks quite a bit, I'd be rooting for them if the Pat weren't in it.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #405
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Can I wish a PEI (Post Ending Injury) on JIMG?

I'm already listed Day-To-Day.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #406
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Career ending injury, I'm guessing.

Got it on the first try.

(I really thought that was pretty common abbreviation, maybe not though? )
Old 01-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #407
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
At least you are honest about it. I like the Seahawks quite a bit, I'd be rooting for them if the Pat weren't in it.
As a Seattle sports fan that hasn't had a lot to cheer for in my lifetime - Sonics winning it all in 1978, Huskies winning a national championship in 1991 - and a lot more close call heartbreakers (Sonics in the mid-'90's, Mariners in '00 & '01, Seahawks in '05), it still feels surreal to be talking about the "defending Super Bowl Champion Seahawks". It doesn't really matter to me if folks outside of Seattle hate the Seahawks because nothing is going to take away the joy of rooting for this team, but I do fully understand how the general public turns pretty quickly on winning franchises when they win too much.

I also get the other criticisms of the team and players even if I disagree with most of it, but that's sports fandom - I'm not going to change the mind of folks like JiMGa, Bucc, Bug, TroyF, Sun Tzu and the rest, and that's just how it goes. Just like an Oregon fan shouldn't be surprised that I'll never root for the Ducks and that I enjoyed every minute of them getting beat by Auburn in '11 and Ohio State this year.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #408
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Got it on the first try.

(I really thought that was pretty common abbreviation, maybe not though? )

I got it right away. I, too, thought it was fairly common knowledge.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #409
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

I think the conversation here is funny about Seattle being hated in this thread, when the top 2-3 threads here are about a true national CRISIS coming out of New England. If it were the Doncs, it would be the Peyton-bashers. If it were Dallas, oh, my good lawd the gnashing of teeth. Its nothing specific to Seattle - its whoever happens to make it this far.

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 01-21-2015 at 01:10 PM.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #410
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
I think the conversation here is funny about Seattle being hated in this thread, when the top 2-3 threads here are about a true national CRISIS coming out of New England. If it were the Doncs, it would be the Peyton-bashers. If it were Dallas, oh, my good lawd the gnashing of teeth. Its nothing specific to Seattle - its whoever happens to make it this far.
It's the same way everyone loves to feel disrespected - look at Doug Baldwin going off about how nobody believed in Seattle and everyone "wrote them off" when they were 6-4 or whatever. Now, I remember a weird debate happening then about whether Russell Wilson was black enough, but the Seahawks have still been favored in 17 of 18 games this season, and I challenge anyone to find a media take or posts here that wrote the Seahawks off.

Baldwin also cracked me up yelling at Deion Sanders for calling him a mediocre receiver, when, well, that's exactly what you are. The best of a mediocre group of receivers on a great team. But either way, I'd take that emotion and personality over the corporate robots the NFL wants. And I blame Lynch less and less for not wanting to talk every time First Take and Around The Horn and whoever spend segments making fun of Baldwin or Sherman when they say something like that.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-21-2015 at 03:48 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #411
Logan
Head Coach

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #412
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Cheaters! Take away some draft picks!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:29 AM   #413
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Looking at the official rules, I think Kacsmar gets it way wrong:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content...Free_Kicks.pdf
Quote:
(e) After the ball is kicked, no more than two receiving team players may intentionally form a wedge in an attempt to
block for the runner. An illegal wedge is defined as three or more players lined up shoulder-to-shoulder within two
yards of each other.
Note: This does not apply when the kicking team lines up in an obvious onside kick formation.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #414
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I think the wedge rule is in place for the longer normal kickoff returns. Obviously, when an onside kick is being done, players often crowd together on the side the kicker is going to.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #415
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

On his Twitter feed, he changes the conversation to max players on each side of the kicker for a kick off, but even then he's wrong:

Quote:
(c) At least four players of the kicking team must be on each side of the kicker. At least three players must be lined up
outside each inbounds line, one of whom must be outside the yard-line number.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #416
Logan
Head Coach

Sorry for passing that along before it got squashed.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #417
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Not your fault. We naturally assume that NFL writers, especially for a joint like Football Outsiders would have consulted the official rules before posting a violation of rules...
Old 01-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #418
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah seeing the FO handle definitely legitimized it to me vs some random person.