Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-25-2003, 03:34 PM   #1
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Business Logic

Explain this to me, please.

My company is not exactly full of cash. In fact, we're basically broke all the damn time.

Our primary hosting company, who we just got, is a useless pile of shit. Utterly and completely useless. I'm also the one who gets stuck with fixing/admin-ing all the servers. Am I a sysadmin? No. And they often have the gall to complain at me when my other, real projects are behind, when I have to spend 3 days to fix the fucking servers.

Anyway. For that host, 100 bucks a month.

So, I make a couple calls. A friend of a friend is a hosting provider, and as I trust my friend's judgement, a good, knowledgable guy. We have a long conversation, he wants to work with me/my company. 250 a month would get us a good server, with the responsibility of backups/patching/maintenance going directly to them. They keep the box nice and working, we use it. In my mind, exactly what we need. Frees me up to actually get my real work done, for a very reasonable price.

First words out of my boss's mouth, without even looking at a proposal/estimate? "I'm not paying that much."

Now. This from the same guy who, just today, spent around 600 bucks for 2 old, used POS (like p550 or something like that) computers that we have exactly NO use for in this office. None. Zero. I couldn't even think of of a use for them as servers. He bought them for no reason other than they "were cheap and cool".

Why god, why. Fucking insane.

Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote