Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-29-2003, 04:36 PM   #1
The_herd
College Starter

Rose finally shipped out of Chicago

The Bulls did better than I expected in this one, although I think they would have liked to have kept Marshall. Getting Jerome Williams add a lot of hustle and toughness inside, something they definitely needed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1673879

Quote:

ESPN.com news services
The Toronto Raptors believe they have found Vince Carter some help.

The Raptors and Bulls agreed to a deal Saturday that will send Jalen Rose, Lonny Baxter and Donyell Marshall to Toronto for Antonio Davis, Jerome Williams and Chris Jefferies, ESPN's David Aldridge has learned.

The league office is closed for the holiday weekend, so the trade won't be announced until Monday at the earliest. League sources tell ESPN.com that Davis and Williams will not play for the Raptors tonight in Miami. Jefferies is on the injured list and would not be eligible to play anyway.

The Bulls are not scheduled to play this weekend.

Even though Rose struggled this season with the Bulls, he was the key player in the deal. Three times in his career he has averaged more than 20 points per game, including the 2002-03 season (22.1). He has a career scoring average of 14.4 points per game.

ESPN.com reported last week that the two teams were discussing a trade involving Rose, and were trying to get the right players involved so the deal would work under their respective salary caps. This was the third attempt between the two teams to get the deal done.

The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 04:43 PM   #2
Philliesfan980
Banned

I haven't been following basketball that much yet this year, but losing Davis and Williams really takes away alot of their inside game, doesn't it?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 04:47 PM   #3
The_herd
College Starter

It does leave them fairly thin up front, but it gets rid of Davis, who wasn't happy to be there and wasn't giving full effort and free's up some minutes for Chris Bosh.

As I mentioned in thread a few days ago when this was first rumored, the most interesting part of this trade will be watching Rose and Carter fight to get their 20+ shots a game.

Last edited by The_herd : 11-29-2003 at 04:48 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 04:59 PM   #4
MikeVic
Head Coach

I can't believe they traded JYD. He was my favourite Raptor, and I'm pretty sure the fans loves him too. He always pumped up the team, and the crowd.. I hope Rose and Marshall do extremely good.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 05:16 PM   #5
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

(Disclaimer: I don't follow basketball, and have no idea what I'm talking about.)

I'll miss Williams, but good riddance to Davis. He was a constant distraction with his moaning and whining about what a burden it was to live in Toronto. His new contract was a disaster. We won't miss him.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 05:19 PM   #6
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh. Enjoy the whiny, pouty Jalen Rose then.

Here's hoping Jamal Crawford is deported next.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 05:43 PM   #7
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I would've traded Jalen Rose for Nachos if the offer were on the table so I'm not sad to see him go at all. I am bummed to see Marshall go though, he is one of the most underrated players in the league and was our best player (imo) all of last year.

Anyone else worried though that with Davis and JYD coming to Chicago, that'll mean a lot less minutes for Tyson and Eddy?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 07:51 PM   #8
Pocketaces9900
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by Neuqua
I would've traded Jalen Rose for Nachos if the offer were on the table so I'm not sad to see him go at all. I am bummed to see Marshall go though, he is one of the most underrated players in the league and was our best player (imo) all of last year.

Anyone else worried though that with Davis and JYD coming to Chicago, that'll mean a lot less minutes for Tyson and Eddy?

Hey Nequa,

From what I've read is that Davis is becoming a role player and just looking to mentor Eddy and Tyson. Nequa, I'm right by Waubonsie Valley.....Glad to see such close neighbors cheering for the Bullies and the Cubbies
Pocketaces9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 10:57 PM   #9
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

I guess AD's kids are safe from learning to anthems now... I bet he doesn't bring his kids to any Raptors games, just to make sure they don't get confused.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 11:30 PM   #10
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Pocketaces9900
Hey Nequa,

From what I've read is that Davis is becoming a role player and just looking to mentor Eddy and Tyson. Nequa, I'm right by Waubonsie Valley.....Glad to see such close neighbors cheering for the Bullies and the Cubbies

Waubonsie eh? So I guess we're not supposed to like eachother

If Davis only ends up playing 20-25 minutes a night than I don't see how this could be a bad deal for the Bulls. We have a bunch of players who want to be "the guy" right now and the more we can role players to fit around our nucleus the better off I think we are.

I think having JYD out there is going to be great, he and Tyson can really get the United Center crowd back on their feet (I'm a season ticket holder, so I'm anxious to see how it works.)

I don't mean to take away anything from Toronto though, maybe both teams can come through a winner in this case. Jalen off the court is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, especially in the NBA. He's held countless charities and auctions to help the less fortunate. It's just that on the court he thinks he belongs with the T-Macs and Kobes when he's far from it.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 11-30-2003, 01:20 AM   #11
bbor
Pro Starter

Chicago fans...please fill me in on Baxter...if there is anything to know.

I like the trade for a few reasons.

1.Davis had become a cancer in Toronto from the middle of last seaosn until now.His contract is an albatross.

2.JYD is a GREAT cheerleader,and a very good rebounder.But he is also paid way too much for what he brings to the team.I also think thatJYD and O'niel did'nt see eye to eye.

3.I'm excited to see Rose play,but i have heard that he is a bit of a headache.

Can Marshall play C? Bosh can't play there cause he is way too skinny.Dude makes Keon Clarke look fat.I don't know who is gonna rebound for this Toronto team right now.I kinda believe there is another trade on the horizon.Perhaps one that ships Alvin Williams and Mo peterson out of town.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 01:36 AM   #12
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I think it's ashame to have to lose Williams but getting rid of a whiny cancer can't be anything but a GoodThing[tm].

I actually like Rose as a player. I think he can easily slide into the 3 spot [unless he start whining about going back to being a 1 again] and take the ball out of Alvin Williams' hands, which is also a GoodThing[tm]. Getting Baxter in the deal is awesome. He's a 'tweener but he does have game. He can also bring similar kind of physical presence as Jerome Williams provided when he was there. Like Baxter, Marshall is a 'tweener but, hey, he has game as well and, well, getting talent is a plus.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 01:37 AM   #13
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Baxter is one of Jerry Krause's better 2nd round picks but he has one problem: he's a black hole. He works hard, grabs rebounds but once he touches the ball he wants to score.

Rose has a huge contract as well, something like 3 or 4 more years. He's a solid passer and a decent shooter. He's just a pain in the ass on the court though because as I said before he feels he's one of the top talents in the NBA which he is not. I don't want to say anything bad about him though because I respect the guy for what he does off the court.

Marshall might be able to fill in a few minutes at C in the Eastern conference but he's better off playing at SF and PF (he's been the best rebounder on the Bulls the past two seasons.) I'm bummed to see him gone. He's so long that he causes the opposing player fits.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:11 AM   #14
hoosierdude
High School Varsity

Jalen can't play defense in a wet sack. Toronto may like his offense, but his defense will really not help them, hopefully the others in the trade will balance out enough.

Rose is not as good as he thinks he is. Hopefully Toronto doesn't regret picking him up.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud - Sophocles"
hoosierdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:49 AM   #15
Daimyo
College Starter

As a Pacers fan I've watched both Rose and AD up close for a long time and as a Chicago resident I'm actually tempted to go to a Bull's game now after this trade! Davis is still probably one of the most loved players in Indianapolis and if not for his contract I would have loved to have him back on the Pacers.

The guy is athletic, he works hard, and he is very charasmatic. I bet he becomes a fan favorite real quick in Chicago because he really fits perfectly with the city's personality and I think fans will respond to that. Jalen Rose is very talented, but he's selfish, overvalues his skills, and doesn't play defense. Its all made worse by the fact that instead of just being a good small foward he insists on trying to be an average point guard.

Its really too bad he ever went to Toronto, but I don't think you can really blame him for being unhappy there... its an amazing city, but all around that just isn't a good situation for any NBA player to be in.

Last edited by Daimyo : 12-02-2003 at 09:52 AM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:54 AM   #16
Daimyo
College Starter

DOLA, something that I find kind of funny. The Bulls have been wanting to trade Rose almost since the day they acquired him. Despite this, the marketing department has had his picture on the side of just about every bus in Chicago the last two seasons (I think Pippen joined him this year). Is there no communication at all there?

Last edited by Daimyo : 12-02-2003 at 09:54 AM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:23 AM   #17
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Daimyo

but I don't think you can really blame him for being unhappy there... its an amazing city, but all around that just isn't a good situation for any NBA player to be in.

I don't get this statement...am i missing something here?

You can't blame him for being unhappy in Toronto because it is an amazing city?

Why is Toronto not a good situation for any NBA player?

I enjoyed watching AD playing for the first year he was in Toronto,he was everything he was billed to be.but...then he was'nt allowed to play PF....so he started to sulk.....then his kids had to learn metric and sing the Canadian national anthem in school everyday(IN a Canadian school of all things...to sing the CANADIAN national anthem...my gosh...what were we thinking??)
This is when he started to whine.

Then he got his big contract...because no one else would give him the $$$ he wanted...so he was *forced* to sign in Toronto.This made him *regret* playing in Toronto.

Then the team SUCKED.Well..that was enough for good ole AD...he has phoned in the last season and a half like a good professional should.

This guy is a turd....and eventually the turd in him will shine through in Chicago too...just give it time.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:29 AM   #18
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I don't know if its really necesssary to try to downgrade the players each of the teams got.

The Raptors got what they were looking for, two solid scorers and the Bulls got what they were looking for. We were a completely re-energized team last night and I am hoping we can play like this in Philly tomorrow. Either way, I'm excited for the team again and look forward to making a push for the playoffs.